DIY Sound flat pack availablility concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Sound flat pack availablility concern

In reference to this thread, I have emailed Erich again.
    I can go ahead and build crossovers for the OSMTM, and I guess order all parts from PE.
    But, I just need to know if I have to build the cabs.. I will if I have to, I just rather not without the cutlist.
    Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Re: DIY Sound flat pack availablility concern

He's a little busy at the moment:
    SITE UPDATE: December 26th, 2013
    There were a lot of orders placed in the past 1.5 weeks and I am working hard to get them all packaged up.
    The shipping container for the SEOS-10 and SEOS-15 waveguides came in today. As soon as they are organized I'll upload the webpage so you can finalize your preorders. Photos and more information can be found in the AVS thread at this link. Also, if you are new to this website, please take a minute to read the About Us section prior to placing your order. I will likely be hiring someone part time to help speed up the packaging and shipping process, but for right now, I work through the orders as they come in and package as quick as possible.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

It's a very simple box. I'm sure you could cut a pair without a cutlist. It's just rectangles. I made one for a gift center channel. IIRC, it took about ten minutes on an old Delta table saw with a really bad fence. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
        It's a very simple box. I'm sure you could cut a pair without a cutlist. It's just rectangles..
        Really.
        Paul Carmody has the dimensions as 6x16x10
        DIY has the dimensions as 6x15x10.5

And what are the internal measurements?
        Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
          Really.
          Paul Carmody has the dimensions as 6x16x10
          DIY has the dimensions as 6x15x10.5

And what are the internal measurements?
          Well, you need a special spatial expander doohickey, so the internal dimensions are 14x20x36

4.5x13.5x9 ID for the flat-pack, 4.5x14.5x8.5 for what Paul built. 546cu/in vs 554cu/in - that's not worth worrying about - depending on bracing scheme, ultimate final volume varies, so I don't even know where they landed - they may be identical all said and done. The most important dimension is the 6" width.

C
          diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by cjd View Post
            Well, you need a special spatial expander doohickey, so the internal dimensions are 14x20x36

4.5x13.5x9 ID for the flat-pack, 4.5x14.5x8.5 for what Paul built. The most important dimension is the 6" width.

C
            That is the info I have been looking for.. I think.
            thanks
            Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

When box building, the MAIN things to target are the internal box volume and the baffle width (being the shortest dim, which is actually the height if the box is oriented on its side). You could probably be off on either one by up to 10% w/out noticeably affecting the outcome.

DIY's OSMTM box is also used for my "Nano Neos". Paul and I had slightly different box volumes and form factors, but they were close enough that a compromise was arrived at making most panels common (except the baffle).

Chris

Comment

If my memory serves me, I believe Erich adjusted the depth and height slightly to allow for more cabs to be cut per sheet of MDF.
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Paul has two different boxes drawn on his website, one for 1/2" material, one for 3/4" material. For a 1/2" thick box, you subtract 1" from each external dimension to get the internal dimensions, and 1 1/2" if you are using 3/4" material. As Chris said, Erich"s box is a slight compromise to enable use with two designs.

Paul's two box drawings adjust the external depth to keep the same volume and baffle dimensions while using two different panel thicknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                    Paul has two different boxes drawn on his website, one for 1/2" material, one for 3/4" material. For a 1/2" thick box, you subtract 1" from each external dimension to get the internal dimensions, and 1 1/2" if you are using 3/4" material. As Chris said, Erich"s box is a slight compromise to enable use with two designs.

Paul's two box drawings adjust the external depth to keep the same volume and baffle dimensions while using two different panel thicknesses.
                    So, to sum all this up, going by Paul's design, I should make the cuts like this:
                    Front and back cuts 6x16 inches
                    Top and bottom cuts 4.5x8.5 inches
                    Side cuts 16x8.5

Does that sound right?
                    Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Nominally, yes. However, 3/4" material is usually not exactly 3/4" thick. It's usually a bit thinner. The 4.5" dimension would actually be 6 inches minus two actual thicknesses of your material. You can measure carefully, or you can cut the piece to 6" and actually stack two pieces of your material flush with one edge and draw a cut line. Or cut slightly oversize and slowly cut to the correct dimension, determined by dry assembly. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X