Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jasmine speaker in Pioneer BS21 cabinet - Finally done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jsr
    replied
    Re: Jasmine speaker in Pioneer BS21 cabinet - Finally done!

Johnhenry,
    Check your PM.
    Last edited by jsr; 05-04-2015, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• johnhenry
    replied

Hi Jsr
    I would like to build the jasmine
    as i'm building the box
    can you give me some suggestion re: the box size which'll be more suited for the fountelk FW146

My calculation using T/S from the manufacturer with Winisd were as follow,
    box size 9.5l,
    i want to use slot port , throat L: 5.5" X 0.6" X 10" depth

any comments are greatly apreciated

many thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

• kevintomb
    replied

Great project, giving me ideas!!

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

Thanks Pete. I do have a dremel with sanding drums. But I've used that on previous speakers and i can't get the that round. You have to be really smooth in moving the Samsung drum around at a very constant pace with consistent pressure. Apparently not my strength. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Basel
    replied

You might consider a sanding drum on a drill next time - those are pretty minimal tools.
    I think it would come out reasonably round if you keep it moving around the hole.
    Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

Thanks Roman. If you're ever in Southern California, shoot me an email and you can audition anything you want. And I'll take you to some good eats.

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

Thanks Craig. Luckily you can't see it in the pics but the tweeter on both are slightly tilted. I didn't notice that when I first put the together but saw it immediately later. It drives me nuts but I can't do anything about it now. That's what I get for rushing to put the together. But I do like how well the matte metal cone looks with the ribbon. The poly design is what the Jasmines are sitting on...a 3way tower with W4-704D and RT003C planar ribbon.

Leave a comment:

• r-carpenter
    replied

Nice work!

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    I remember a time when a project like this would have generated quite a buzz - if for no other reason than the repurposing of existing commercial cabinets. Well done, jsr.
    I second that. Also, curious to hear the speaker but it's a bit far

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

great looking speaker. I am sure they sound as good as they look.

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

Just to update impressions on my Jasmine design. They've had a good amount of time and material to break in and I think they sound better than my initial impression of them. The sound stage is quite different than my other designs but female vocals and instruments sound amazing through them. And bass is very punchy and fast. I'm starting to really like this design. I guess I'm getting used to the metal cone sound. When I initially compared them to my W4-704D poly cone design, I preferred poly cone but comparing the last night the Jasmines sounded more accurate and clear, particularly with vocals.

Leave a comment:

• GrogNak
    replied

Hi jsr,

I used a pair of the same cabinets for a project of mine. I used the VIFA XT25TG30-04 1" tweeter and a buyout woofer, PEERLESS INDIA W5-KA538A-SH 5.25" SHIELDED WOOFER 4 OHM. The performance of the stock speaker was dismal at best. If I remember correctly, the cabinets sported a 4 1/4 inch woofer in a adapter and some cheesy 2 dollar tweeter. The Vifa tweeter has a smaller face plate which allowed me to move it closer to the woofer in the cabinet. After a week of tuning , they turned out a lot better then stock. The hardest part of my project was taming the tweeter. (i ended up reversing the polarity on it from the X-over)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	gamer.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1154797

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

Thanks guys. I started this project over a year ago when modding the Pioneers were the in thing. The cabinet and driver mounting took much longer than anticipated.

Whitney,
    I too was looking for a woofer that would be as close to drop in as possible. It took a lot of searching and I recall flip flopping between a couple of woofers and finally chose the Fountek. Partially because I liked the way it looks and to try a design using a metal cone. F3 seems to be about mid 50s in my room. Balanced and punchy but not hard hitting. The FW146 could use a bit larger cab, but with it all done, I love the way the setup looks in the BS21 cabs.
    Last edited by jsr; 01-03-2014, 03:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

I should have commented earlier. They look very good. Kudos on reusing the enclosures and the look is excellent.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

I remember a time when a project like this would have generated quite a buzz - if for no other reason than the repurposing of existing commercial cabinets. Well done, jsr.

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

Wow! Surprising change from the little BS21! I've searched pretty hard for a "popularly priced" woofer that's a fit or near fit for the OEM woofer but with "better" performance. I really haven't found one. Do you have a feel for an in room F3 with the Fountek? I won't run out and buy them, but I'm curious. I also own one pair of the BS22's that Andy improved in every way over the 21's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X