Smallest wire size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallest wire size?

I know this subject has been talked about a lot.
    I'm bringing it up again.

When I soldered my crossover I used #16 stranded for jumper wires, that's what I had.
    Kind of hard to work with in tight spots.
    So I ask, what is the smallest wire recommended for jumper wires.
    I do have a bunch of CAT5 laying around, is that too small?

Thanks

Re: Smallest wire size?

( typically 24–26 AWG ) I wouldn't use it - go to #18 stranded
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

CAT5 is usually quality copper, but thinner than you'd really want. You can always twist/braid 3 or 4 pair to increase gauge into useful territory.
      diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by Dewmiester View Post
        So I ask, what is the smallest wire recommended for jumper wires.
        Look at the gauge of the wire used on the capacitors. It's not exactly huge. For the very short runs in a crossover you don't need to use more than 22 ga., and solid is easier to work with than braided.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

This is what I use most of the time for short runs on my crossover boards:

http://m.radioshack.com/radioshack/p...egoryId=&path=

Like Bill said, this 20 gauge wire is about the same size as the typical capacitor and resistor leads used in crossovers. A few inches of this 20 gauge isn't going to add any significant resistance. And this wire is solid core not stranded so it is much easier to work with and solder. And its insulation is really easy to strip.
          Craig

Comment

I love using 18 guage (20-22 is available) thermostat wire, sold at HomeDepot/Lowes/Aces. Its single conductor, quality copper.

Here is the thermostat wire used on a crossover.

My projects
            https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

Thanks for the replies!!!
              Think I'll try some of the solid core wire.

Comment

Originally posted by ckmoore View Post
                I love using 18 guage (20-22 is available) thermostat wire, sold at HomeDepot/Lowes/Aces. Its single conductor, quality copper.

I like that. That reminds me - on a recent built I was wondering how conductive hotglue is. I didn't glue over any solder joints but was wondering if that is acceptable practice? Like if you have joints that are close together, can you cover both with hotglue to ensure they never accidentally touch? Or would the glue conduct between the joints.

Comment

You could use this stuff called duct seal. Its basically a rubber puddy that never hardens. A few bucks for about a pound of it and it goes a long way

Comment

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
                    I like that. That reminds me - on a recent built I was wondering how conductive hotglue is. I didn't glue over any solder joints but was wondering if that is acceptable practice? Like if you have joints that are close together, can you cover both with hotglue to ensure they never accidentally touch? Or would the glue conduct between the joints.
                    Perfectly acceptable to hot glue over solder joints. It is non conductive.
                    Craig

Comment

... but was wondering if that is acceptable practice? Like if you have joints that are close together, can you cover both with hotglue to ensure they never accidentally touch? Or would the glue conduct between the joints.
                      If you were to use a meter to measure resistance in a glue stick, you'd confirm it's level of (non)conductivity...
                      That said I've seen formulations used commercially as mechanical stabilization for parts; but NOT as an electrical insulator substitute for bare wire, in lieu of something like heat shrink tubing.
                      There are numerous varieties of glue formulations used in industry which are suitable for electrical use ( including conductive varieties ) and appropriate even for high voltage insulation and UL approval, though insulation was not the primary goal.
                      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

IMO,
                        short little jumper wires on crossover board probably don't need big or fancy wires. Just big enough so that your 50Kw Godzilla Amp won't melt them.

The 3ft section of wire from your crossover to driver is long enough to introduce DC resistance. You'll want to use a bigger wire size. I personally use 18Awg for less than 200W and 36". 14Awg x 36" (on paper) is good for 15A = 1000watts.

IMO, hot melt or epoxy is a good idea. On a breadboard job i always secure everything. Eliminates vibration. Just make sure it is the final layout.

Comment

if you have joints that are close together, can you cover both with hotglue to ensure they never accidentally touch?
                          I do so all the time.
                          www.billfitzmaurice.com
                          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

good to know everybody, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ckmoore View Post

That looks good.
                              Just found a spool of 18 ga. thermostat wire on a shelf in the storage room.
                              Wish I would have found it sooner.

Comment

Working...
                              X