Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to be in LA next week, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to be in LA next week, what to do?

Any LA guys have any suggestions? Googled a few stereo shops I wanna check out, and I have tickets for the Price is Right, but otherwise have nothing planned. Any suggestions?

Re: Going to be in LA next week, what to do?

If you dig amusement parks, there's Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, and for the serious thrill rider, Magic Mountain. Sunset Strip on a Friday or Saturday, killer live music everywhere. Hollywood Walk of Fame a couple of blocks south of Sunset on Hollywood Blvd.

Best advice I can give you though: If you like what passes for Mexican food in Indiana, you owe it to yourself to get to Manuel's El Tepeyac in East LA. Little bit of a rough neighborhood, and the line to get a seat can be long, but the food is WELL worth it. Go for a Hollenbeck with cheese, or a Manuel's Special, you won't be disappointed. And unless you're a REALLY big eater, you'll get a nice lunch out of it the next day.

Mark
    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

The Aquarium in Long Beach, rivals Monterey Bay Aquarium. Tons of places to eat in LA, look up places on Food TV (Diners Drive ins and dives) Anthony Bourdain went to a few places. They also have great places to eat anything you could imagine. How much time do you have? The comedy club in Huntington beach is worth a visit and great places to eat n drink and the scenery is nice.

Comment

Liitle Japan, and the Japanese-American museum (near downtown) - Griffith Park, and the Getty Museum.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I second the Long Beach Aquarium suggestion. Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach at the end of the 10 if you want a little people watching and sight-seeing action. For food, sample a food truck or two, but definitely look them up on the net.

Comment

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
            Any LA guys have any suggestions? Googled a few stereo shops I wanna check out, and I have tickets for the Price is Right, but otherwise have nothing planned. Any suggestions?
            Venice Beach
            Venice Canals (must)
            Griffith Park Observatory (for the view over LA)
            Hollywood and Highland (Grauman's Chinese theater, walk of fame, and overall sensory overload from the unique pedestrian freakshow)
            Into movies: Universal City Studios Tour
            In-N-Out/Astroburger

A must - Drive up the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway/1) Take it as far as you want for a winding amazing view of the coast, you can stop most anywhere to get on the beach. It'll take you into Malibu as well. But be sure to get back before rush hour.

Coolest thing ever if into magic but hard to make happen maybe: The Magic Castle. Oh, that place is the sh*t.

Be prepared for: traffic. Like 80mph bumper to bumper at 9pm on a good day and 1 to 1 1/2hr hour to drive 20miles in rush hour. Los Angeles is all about the car. So plan accordingly and drive safely.

Amoeba Records is on the list I hope!

Have fun.

Comment

If you got time, swing down to Orange County and I'll introduce you to some good Vietnamese food.

Hong
              Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
              ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
              LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
              Sonata Soundbar Project
              The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

If you like cars, the Petersen Auto Museum is well worth a few hours: http://www.petersen.org/

If you like prehistoric animals, don't miss the La Brea Tar Pits. Every time I go there I ask myself "what were all these animals doing in downtown Los Angeles?" http://www.tarpits.org/

If you like music making machines, a visit to the Nethercutt's amazing collection is fun. You will be impressed by the size of their organ. http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/MusicRoom.aspx

Stan

Comment

Easier question might be, what not to do?

Comment

How could I forget about In-N-Out?:eek:

It might not be the best burger there ever was (although to me it is), but you'll not find a better $3.50 burger ANYWHERE than a Double Double with grilled onions. You MUST go to In-N-Out Burger.

Mark

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
                      How could I forget about In-N-Out?:eek:

It might not be the best burger there ever was (although to me it is), but you'll not find a better $3.50 burger ANYWHERE than a Double Double with grilled onions. You MUST go to In-N-Out Burger.

Mark
                      Don't forget to order it "animal style"...

Comment

Asian food WOOT, then there's Medieval Times in Buena Park by Knott's Berry Farm. How much time do you have? Seriously timing is everything cause traffic ain't no joke. I was born down south but my home is in Central CA just below Sequoia Nat'l Park. Hard to beat the beach though.

Burgers.... get something good.... Eureka Burgers or something along those lines.

Comment

Never been an Animal Style guy, myself (don't want pickles), but if you want everything, then yes, get it Animal Style. My own personal favorite is just grilled onions, but YMMV.

Mark

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
                            Never been an Animal Style guy, myself (don't want pickles), but if you want everything, then yes, get it Animal Style. My own personal favorite is just grilled onions, but YMMV.

Mark
                            One of the things I do love about SoCal is the sheer number of high quality independent burger joints. There's something for everyone and then some. Donuts, too. Throw a rock and you'll hit some random donut hut.

Comment

Originally posted by hdben View Post
                              Asian food WOOT, then there's Medieval Times in Buena Park by Knott's Berry Farm. How much time do you have? Seriously timing is everything cause traffic ain't no joke. I was born down south but my home is in Central CA just below Sequoia Nat'l Park. Hard to beat the beach though.

Burgers.... get something good.... Eureka Burgers or something along those lines.
                              The redwoods at Sequoia are awe-inspiring as is the drive into the park, and the Black Bear Diner in Porterville(?)... mmmm love Black Bear Diner.

Comment

Working...
                              X