Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finalist build: what i've learned

from the measurements in the pdf

vifa ne149w mid: cutout needs a little adjustment size is good, but the depth needs to be measured.

dayton rs28f tweeter: baffle cutout needs to be smaller and notched for the terminals. outside diameter needs to be about 3/16 smaller(measure the flange to be exact).

dayton rs225 sub: outside cutout needs to be about 3/16" smaller(again measure your drivers).

the 6" pvc...maybe just order the kit from meniscus, or just order the pipe from them. hard to find, and when you do, the carnies cutting it to length with #$%^ it up.

everything else is spectacular. without any break in they were great. me and mike220 finished them today after we were involved in a car accident... to get a router bit. but in true form, we persevered.

it was really cool that mike's car killed the guys car who hit us.

anyhow great times.

Re: finalist build: what i've learned

what do you use to cut circles? Finalists are my next build - guess I should start looking for the 6" pipe
    Brad
    piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Man, it was no weather for running errands around here today! Maybe it wasn't as bad toward Aurora.

Now you can stay inside through the cold weather and enjoy them.

Comment

Originally posted by bmaupin View Post
        what do you use to cut circles? Finalists are my next build - guess I should start looking for the 6" pipe
        i use jasper circle jigs. i have the big and the small one. they are both great...until you get the wrong measurements. not the fault of the designer, just probably a change to the speaker design.

a plumbing supply house will have the pipe, but make sure either they have mad skills to cut, or you make a jig for a table saw to make sure it's the right size.

Comment

Everyone,

Sorry, I double checked the driver cutourts and recesses in the PDF and the incorrect sizing did get by me. As always, measure your drivers before cutting to ensure accuracy. I'll try and get the PDF corrected.

The PVC pipe is a common size at Lowes, Home Depot and Menards here in the Midwest. I cut it on my table saw without any problem and ended up with a nice clean edge. A little short is better than a little too long. It's glued in place so that fills any gaps in length and seals the tunnel.

I'm glad you're enjoying them!

Jim

Comment

FYI - regarding the PVC pipe, they sell a schedule 30 and 40 white plastic PVC at my local HD and Lowes and they are different diameters. i found this out the hard way replacing some boiler venting pipe this past weekend. Not sure which is required, but double check the size prior to purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
              FYI - regarding the PVC pipe, they sell a schedule 30 and 40 white plastic PVC at my local HD and Lowes and they are different diameters. i found this out the hard way replacing some boiler venting pipe this past weekend. Not sure which is required, but double check the size prior to purchase.
              I believe it's schedule 40. It's the thickest wall diameter they carry at my local home stores.It should be very easy to source. Total diameter is 6 5\8" with a 6" ID.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
                I believe it's schedule 40. It's the thickest wall diameter they carry at my local home stores.It should be very easy to source. Total diameter is 6 5\8" with a 6" ID. Jim
                Thanks for the info!
                Brad
                piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                  Man, it was no weather for running errands around here today! Maybe it wasn't as bad toward Aurora.

Now you can stay inside through the cold weather and enjoy them.
                  Yeh it was the worst weather i hAve driven in. It looked like no plows were out the past few days but they obviously are.

I hope the port hole in the back measurements are fine because we didnt have the port and just went off the drawing. They sound good even with a few socks jammed in the 2-1/2 inch port lol.

Lastly,

I haven't pushed them much maybe a little past half way on my sony STR-710 (7 channel 8 ohm receiver) but it seems to handle them so far. This is awesome because I didn't want to have to spring for a 2 channel amp if not necessary. I already know they will sound better with a real amp behind them same as my tarkus but I'd like to save the $400 if possible.
                  My Build Thread's
                  Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

You're in for a treat once you get the port installed. The Finalists have great bass.

Jim

Comment

Awesome! Pe's ordering online was down for me last night and this morning. I called it in and had it overnighted so should find out soon. As long as you dont get anything too heavy overnight is reasonable!
                      My Build Thread's
                      Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Working...
                      X