Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class D Amplifiers--Is It Just Me or What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class D Amplifiers--Is It Just Me or What?

I've listened to quite a few Class D amplifiers in the past year so, but most were not to my liking as they sounded too "crisp" in the upper frequencies.

I know some people may refer to this as added "detail", but it makes me want to reach for the treble knob or pad down my tweeters even more.

So does anyone else find Class D amplifiers to sound a little on the harsh side of neutral or is it just me?

Re: Class D Amplifiers--Is It Just Me or What?

I actually find my current one to be the opposite compared to my emo mini x. Which ones have you heard? I have a classdaudio from classdaudio.com and have read (although I have never heard it for myself) that many think it sounds like a good tube amp.
    I have heard mention of the ice based amps being trebley but haven't heard one of those either.

Comment

I've heard a decent amount of Class D amps and like A/B amps, they have their different sonic signatures. I've personally not heard one with my speakers that I've thought had overly accentuated highs. I've heard one on friend's speakers that I thought were harsh sounding in the treble but he has crap speakers. Some Class D amps operate at relatively low frequencies. if you've heard some of these, it may be some intermods you're hearing. The amps I use all use much higher frequencies and I don't personally hear harshness or over accentuation. for certain music I use a tube preamp that softens the sound but that's not to address a harshness in the treble but just to add some tubiness to that music type which I like. As you probably tell I'm a big Class D fan. I have less than a handful of A/B amps now, with most of my amps having been replaced with Ds.
      Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
      Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
      Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
      Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
      Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Its either you or your setup
        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

My little DTA-100 sounds very "tubey" to me. Very, very much like the old McIntosh 17-20 watt mono amps of 40-45 years ago. If those had the bias and the plate voltages "peaked-up", they were quite "crisp", even with old two-way 12" and 3 or 4" hard cone tweeter Bozak speakers. Those "died" at about 13 Khz, or with the "improved" crossover and tweeter 15 Khz.
          My Piano instructor had a pair of Macs and Bozaks, an ELAC TT. She had a Mac pre-amp to go with it. For 1971, that was darn good sound.
          The good class D amps have extremely flat FR's well above most people's hearing range, which makes them sound "crisp", instead of the roll-off of most "consumer" receivers/AVRs/amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
            Its either you or your setup
            Or the amp. I recall that it is proven (measurable) that some class d amps can be affected by impedance.

Comment

in recent years the trend with speakers has been to accentuate the top end. maybe the class D is playing cleaner and the speakers x-over just needs tilted down a little to not sound so hot.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

The lift in the top octave added by poor class-D topology is unwanted. Hypex has solved this with UcD, their amplifier topology remains linear through the entire range regardless of load impedance. The hypex amp I own (low end UcD180ST model) is the amp by which all others will be judged. It is just "neutral" what goes in is what comes out, clear and clean.

The closest thing I have found is the IRS2092, same chip used in many (all?) of the classdaudio models and also boards available from connexelectronics. The price to performance of well executed IRS2092 amp is simply unmatched. They are great. Not to say the IRS2092 won't add any top-end lift however in my system I simply cannot tell if it is there, the top end is just the same as my class-AB space heaters.
                "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

I'm curious about this one and will find out in the next few weeks. TAS5630

Comment

Crown's XLS series amps are -like most other pro audio power amps- Class D and they sound great. I've heard the XLS 1500 in particular and it sound very neutral but all the extra headroom helped to tighten the bottom end right up.

I'm starting to become a real Class D believer!

Comment

guess I will have to trade in my Spectral DMA 260 now. just when I though +/- 1 Db from DC to 1 MHz was good.
                      Last edited by craigk; 01-06-2014, 10:55 PM. Reason: .
                      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

try hypex NCORE, it will give you some idea how good is class D now

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                          guess I will have to trade in my Spectral DMA 260 now. just when I though +/- 1 Db from DC to 1 MHz was good.
                          Are you saying you paid for sound you can't hear?

Comment

yes and no, I am saying that the amps are very flat, and the 1 MHz is just a bonus.
                            craigk

Comment

I had just purchased the Behringer NU6000DSP iNUKE during PE's
                              Black Friday sale. It will be used to power two UM18-22 18" Ultimaxs
                              when they arrive. Until then it is being used to power my (currently)
                              2.1 channel HT/music setup. It sounds pleasantly neutral, with the
                              upper frequencies more 'rolled off' than the Outlaw 7125 (Class AB)
                              normally driving the same speakers. Figured I'd test it out for problems
                              before PE's 45 day 'no hassle' return period expired.

I should mention that I'm using the balanced TRS outputs of an ESI
                              Juli@ Xte soundcard > XLR input & output of a TVC preamp > XLR
                              inputs of the NU6000DSP to drive the amplifier. They all seem to work
                              well together.

Comment

Working...
                              X