What mid and tweeter for high end 3-way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mid and tweeter for high end 3-way

I picked up a pair of Usher Audio 8955A 8" woofers a few months ago in the Classifieds and am trying to decide on a tweeter and mid to go with them for a nice 3-way. I'm looking to spend between 300-350 per side (up to $700 total) for the mids and tweeters combined. Right now, here are the things on my list:

Tweeters:
    Transducer Lab N26CX-G
    Satori
    ScanSpeak AirCirc 6600
    ScanSpeak HDS (old Peerless HDS)

Mids:
    Satori
    ScanSpeak 5.5" Revelator
    Vifa NE123W or NE149W

Anything else I should be looking at? Obviously only certain combinations would work to stay under my price point. One thing I was thinking is that if I went with the 4" Vifa, having the smaller mid would allow for closer center-to-center spacing on the mid/tweeter. And I have used the Vifa NE180W in a recent build and really liked the sound of it. Not sure how much better the Revelator or Satori woofers are than the NE line. Any other benifits or downsides to using smaller vs larger woofers as a mid?
    -Kerry

Re: What mid and tweeter for high end 3-way

Pick the mid out first, and find a spot on the baffle that has minimal diffraction issues. The smaller the diameter, the more they tend to diffract. I'd probably shoot for a 4" to 5.25", and depending on other requirements, consider a recessed / waveguide / small horn type tweeter to aid in alignment. And I did say just consider. It's not required obviously. I'd want a large well damped chamber for the mid if possible. If the box is small, part of the x-over can go in the mid chamber. The hole is bigger for a 5.25" driver than a 4", and may allow an easier x-over assembly.

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
    I picked up a pair of Usher Audio 8955A 8" woofers a few months ago in the Classifieds and am trying to decide on a tweeter and mid to go with them for a nice 3-way. I'm looking to spend between 300-350 per side (up to $700 total) for the mids and tweeters combined. Right now, here are the things on my list:

Tweeters:
    Transducer Lab N26CX-G
    Satori
    ScanSpeak AirCirc 6600
    ScanSpeak HDS (old Peerless HDS)

Mids:
    Satori
    ScanSpeak 5.5" Revelator
    Vifa NE123W or NE149W

Anything else I should be looking at? Obviously only certain combinations would work to stay under my price point. One thing I was thinking is that if I went with the 4" Vifa, having the smaller mid would allow for closer center-to-center spacing on the mid/tweeter. And I have used the Vifa NE180W in a recent build and really liked the sound of it. Not sure how much better the Revelator or Satori woofers are than the NE line. Any other benifits or downsides to using smaller vs larger woofers as a mid?

Comment

Wow! You are looking at some fantastic drivers. I can't wait to see what other people suggest, what design choices you make, and to hear how this turns out. With that level of drivers this just might end up being your last hurrah

My suggestions would be one of those two Vifa's and the AirCirc.
      Craig

Comment

Aurum Cantus AST2560 paired up with the Tang Band 75-1558SE. The TB is a bit of a pain to mount and look nice, but if you can take the time to fashion a baffle that allows for a rear-mount, it can look really cool. The AST2560 is a really nice tweeter too and IMO better than all the others you listed including the AirCirc. That combo would offer absolutely clean performance from 800Hz on up at reasonable sensitivity.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Dayton RS100P-8, Vifa NE123, Audax HM100Z (<-my choice) or HM100C for the mid and the Fountek NeoCD 1.0 for zee tweet.
          A mains
          The Ventures
          Open Invit8tions
          RSR
          Sound Troopers
          Acorns
          DGBG's
          The Monuments

Comment

TB W4-1798S for midrange.

HiVi RT1.3 for the tweeter.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

From the Usher datasheet, the 8955A is a 0.0232 sqm woofer with 88dB/W/M efficiency from a heavy(35 g) cone. A Qts of 0.32 and Fs of 26Hz will support acceptable bass with ported box alignments. From the datasheet I'm not convinced this woofer warrants "high priced" mid+tweet, just "good stuff".

Consider the ScanSpeak 10F/4424G00 10cm midrange with 90db/W/M. This neoMotor design has a very flat frequency response, and many positive reviews. ~$80. There are several example Xovers for this speaker. The modest 6.8cm diameter cone, plus smooth SPL allows a 3Khz Xover to a 0.75" soft dome tweeter like the Vifa OX20SC00-04 (91.1db/W/M) which allows VERY CLOSE C-to-C mounting.

Some diffraction management from smooth-beveled edges like the NHT 3-way (8"+2"+0.75") can provide attractive form with good function.

Comment

8955A's are much better than the spec sheet. Check out my Malbecs on my blog. You may find some useful guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by 3way View Post
                  From the Usher datasheet, the 8955A is a 0.0232 sqm woofer with 88dB/W/M efficiency from a heavy(35 g) cone. A Qts of 0.32 and Fs of 26Hz will support acceptable bass with ported box alignments. From the datasheet I'm not convinced this woofer warrants "high priced" mid+tweet, just "good stuff".

Consider the ScanSpeak 10F/4424G00 10cm midrange with 90db/W/M. This neoMotor design has a very flat frequency response, and many positive reviews. ~$80. There are several example Xovers for this speaker. The modest 6.8cm diameter cone, plus smooth SPL allows a 3Khz Xover to a 0.75" soft dome tweeter like the Vifa OX20SC00-04 (91.1db/W/M) which allows VERY CLOSE C-to-C mounting.

Some diffraction management from smooth-beveled edges like the NHT 3-way (8"+2"+0.75") can provide attractive form with good function.
                  What maynardg said. There is not really any way to tell how good a driver will be from it's spec sheet alone, only where it can be used effectively. The Usher drivers have distortion performance that rivals and sometimes betters much more expensive Scan and Seas drivers, especially in the bass. That is particularly why I picked this up, because of it's ability to play low and do so with incredibly low distortion.
                  -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                    8955A's are much better than the spec sheet. Check out my Malbecs on my blog. You may find some useful guidance.
                    I didn't even think about the Hiquphon, even though there was just a thread about them. I will keep them in mind.
                    -Kerry

Comment

Aurum Cantus AST2560 paired up with the Tang Band 75-1558SE. The TB is a bit of a pain to mount and look nice, but if you can take the time to fashion a baffle that allows for a rear-mount, it can look really cool. The AST2560 is a really nice tweeter too and IMO better than all the others you listed including the AirCirc. That combo would offer absolutely clean performance from 800Hz on up at reasonable sensitivity.
                      Wow, Pete! Just looked at that Tang Band dome mid on Zaph's site. It has some really impressive distortion performance on the higher order stuff. It is almost all 2nd order down to 700-800hz.
                      -Kerry

Comment

AST2560 and Bohlender Graebener Neo8?

Comment

Just over budget but the combo looks tasty to me...

$99 N26CX-G
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	26NC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1154953

$275 SS 12MU
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	12mu_4731t.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1154954
                          "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                            Wow, Pete! Just looked at that Tang Band dome mid on Zaph's site. It has some really impressive distortion performance on the higher order stuff. It is almost all 2nd order down to 700-800hz.
                            Here's an attempt to fashion a baffle with that TB mid. Turned out pretty nice looking and functioned well. We used a chamfer bit and a roundover bit and then hand sanded smooth.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Lots of great options to choose from. I'm building a 3-way with two of the Usher 8955As on the bottom with a Usher 8945A and ScanSpeak HDS on top. I chose to stick with the Usher instead of a smaller mid-range just because I like their sound so much and the HDS is capable to crossover low enough.

I have a pair of bookshelf speakers at home right now using the NLA Usher 8945P and HDS and its wonderful. Certainly can't argue against some of those options, but these drivers are pretty nice and you would have to spend a good bit more to get any better and it probably won't be very much. I'd suggest putting the extra funds towards room treatments instead, but that's just me. Best of luck with your build. Should turn out very nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X