Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Guide to Woodworking Screws" -- yes, Virginia, there are better screws out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Guide to Woodworking Screws" -- yes, Virginia, there are better screws out there

Lots of good information on this chart

I've used their screws and liked them very much

http://webservices.advanceware.net/Y...crewposter.pdf

Their website seems to be under revision, but there are some good information pages there.

Re: "Guide to Woodworking Screws" -- yes, Virginia, there are better screws out there

That is a good source for screws but I'm not very good at planning ahead, so ordering online and waiting isn't usually an option . I love Woodcraft's Highpoint screws or GRKs (depending on the application).
    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Re: "Guide to Woodworking Screws" -- yes, Virginia, there are better screws out there

I used these screws on the last subwoofer enclosure that I built. I pre-drilled and counter-sunk every hole and they worked really well. It's hard to imagine using a non-square drive woodscrew now.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
        That is a good source for screws but I'm not very good at planning ahead, so ordering online and waiting isn't usually an option . I love Woodcraft's Highpoint screws or GRKs (depending on the application).
        Wood craft highpoints are the shizz..... I need to order more....
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

I've been a McFeeley's customer for over a decade. If you call them, they'll tell you what screw to use in what material (it sometimes depends on the thickness). Sometimes, a sheetmetal screw is the best choice in man-mades (no taper, all threads for more grip). Their screws are made of better steel than most of the big box store's too. Crown Fasteners (the baggies and bulk green boxes) now are mostly Chinese and snap and strip easier. You really do get what you pay for.
          HINT: Even when you pre-drill holes in MDF, particle board or plywood, to drive the screws much easier, scrape the threads across a bar of bath soap. Your driver or arm will appreciate it and the chance of "blow-out" is greatly reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by CUclimber View Post
            I used these screws on the last subwoofer enclosure that I built. I pre-drilled and counter-sunk every hole and they worked really well. It's hard to imagine using a non-square drive woodscrew now.
            Love them Robertson screws!
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
            X