CSS LD25X tweeters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSS LD25X tweeters

Does anyone know why this unit is NLA,I remember this tweeter getting excellent feedback so
    I cant understant why it is gone. There are acouple pairs available in the classified but just want
    to find out if the were QC issues or something else. Just does not make sense for a company to
    drop a good selling product. Thanks

Re: CSS LD25X tweeters

Take a look at post #9 from RAW2u in this thread. According to that, it was QC problems.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
      Does anyone know why this unit is NLA,I remember this tweeter getting excellent feedback so
      I cant understant why it is gone. There are acouple pairs available in the classified but just want
      to find out if the were QC issues or something else. Just does not make sense for a company to
      drop a good selling product. Thanks
      There were some QC issues with some. It was a matter of how the faceplate clamped the dome assembly down and could change the resonance quite a bit. However, none of the ones I worked with had any issues, and from what I could tell, many of the tweeters being sold on ebay as "seconds" would have still worked fine with the crossover I designed.

The bigger issue was simply that CSS sold out of all of its stock and it takes a lot of investment to purchase another manufacturing run. This is the way it goes with specialty drivers sometimes.

By the way, I still have a pair that are new in box. I have only measured them to verify that they were good and then I have never used them. I will probably sell them sometime.

Jeff
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

The pair I have in the Last Hurrahs have differing fs. ~950 vs ~1400. The one in the left speaker sounds a little splashy. I ran the one with the fs of 950 when I received them some months ago. Did not do the other one. Wish I had done so. Will have to measure each in the cabinets and adjust XO accordingly I guess.

Comment

That stinks to hear they are disco'd. I really, really like those tweeters. Quite possibly the best I've measured to date and certainly at the top if not.
          When you stop caring about being right, you might actually learn something.

My test data site:
          http://medleysmusings.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
            That stinks to hear they are disco'd. I really, really like those tweeters. Quite possibly the best I've measured to date and certainly at the top if not.
            I agree with you completely. I think a better solution would have simply been to have fixed the production issue rather than discarding one of the best tweeters I have ever measured or listened to as well. I think they threw the baby out with the bath water.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
              I agree with you completely. I think a better solution would have simply been to have fixed the production issue rather than discarding one of the best tweeters I have ever measured or listened to as well. I think they threw the baby out with the bath water.

Jeff
              Oh I so agree Jeff. I don't know that I will ever sell mine. The pair I got from Meniscus measured dead on.
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I have several NLA drivers, and it is always in the back of your mind to build or not building using them.
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Who knows about the LD22's?

Comment

The pair I have test with the same resonance frequency, but the resonance peak is lower on one than the other. I've yet to do anything with them. With all the glowing reviews, I probably should build a couple of nice computer speakers. Either that or let them go to someone who will do something nice with them.
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I think the LD25 morphed into a couple of LD22s, possibly the LD22F (with a flat faceplate) and the LD22C (curved face plate). I won the 22Cs at IOWA, and they measured very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                        I think the LD25 morphed into a couple of LD22s, possibly the LD22F (with a flat faceplate) and the LD22C (curved face plate). I won the 22Cs at IOWA, and they measured very well.
                        I don't know if morphed would be the right word; they are completely different and separate design and I don't believe they have any relationship to each other.

Comment

Without going into detail the LD25X situation was not easy to go through. One of the unknown costs is the loss of several OEM clients. It was the first time in 12 years where I could not trust the tweeters just taken out of the box. On a bigger scale I'm changing the way I interact with manufacturers and that seems to be working better.

The LD22 units share a common core which comes from a vendor who has a verifiable 0 failure rate and the rest of the units is done here in Canada.

Thanks for your support and we hope that our kit sales will continue. There are numerous other kits in the works.

Bob

Comment

Thanks for the info Bob. Based on my experience with the LD25X, I will be buying more from you guys On that note, where can we get more info on these new 22 series tweets?
                            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I echo others' disappointment as I had hoped to try it based on all the wonderful reviews. Sorry to hear of the difficulties with the LD25X project, Bob; wishing you and CSS much success in future projects!

Perhaps I'll give the LD22 a shot if it is of a similar core, as you say.
                              SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
                              Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
                              SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
                              SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

Working...
                              X