port noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• port noise

i'm having problems with my current sub i decide to get a new driver for the box and now i get lots of port noise, the box is .5 cu. ft. and the port is 2.5 diameter and 9 inches long also the driver is Peerless 830946 6-1/2" Paper Cone Woofer Speaker 4 Ohm, some help i reduce the size of the port and it helps to tune it lower and it has less output and help with the noise a little.

Re: port noise

If you reduce the diameter (area) of the port, which will tune the system lower in frequency, you'll also increase the port's air velocity which is counter-productive. If the driver you installed is not the one for which the box was designed, that's the real cause of you're problem.
    Paul

Originally posted by Yombo210 View Post
    i'm having problems with my current sub i decide to get a new driver for the box and now i get lots of port noise, the box is .5 cu. ft. and the port is 2.5 diameter and 9 inches long also the driver is Peerless 830946 6-1/2" Paper Cone Woofer Speaker 4 Ohm, some help i reduce the size of the port and it helps to tune it lower and it has less output and help with the noise a little.

Comment

Re: port noise

The new driver probably has more excursion (Xmax) than the old one. Model it with WinISD ( www.linearteam.org ) and see what's up. Reducing the port diameter will increase the chuffing, not reduce it. It might help to "roundover" the opening on the baffle (or wherever it exits), if it isn't already. That driver just might not work well in that size box (that's very small for a sub).

Comment

Working...
      X