Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: How much time do you spend constructing at one time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: How much time do you spend constructing at one time?

Just wondering how long everyone spends at a sitting when constructing speakers.

I've been noticing that I'm good for about 2 hours or so before I start to feel like calling it a session and moving on to something else. Part of that is because 2 hours of work in the basement is enough after a day dealing with 3-year-olds, and part of it is because I think getting older I seem to distribute my time better than when I was younger.

I constructed these speakers probably 15-17 years ago when I was late 20's early 30's and I worked for 3-4 hours each night after working a full day, and I did this for weeks at a time in a cold shop with no heat.

They ended up sounding pretty amazing believe it or not... Dual powered subs, high crossover point and huge living room -- I didn't notice any comb filtering, although I'm sure there were major issues with it. There was another tweet and woof on the rear out-of-phase also, so there were lots of sub-enclosures in this thing.

Point is, I just worked and worked and worked on it like a nutty professor for hours on end; life outside of this project just seemed to fade away and I was immersed fully in what I was doing. I'm glad I'm maturing some and can dibby up my time with other things, and so is the wife.

So how much time do you spend working on a speaker project at a time? Do you break it up into sections so you complete one part, then quit? Just curious how others do it. I tend to see it as a hobby and the opposite of "work" so when I feel like giving up for the night, I do.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Re: OT: How much time do you spend constructing at one time?

About the same, an hour or two at a time. I try to maximize it by coinciding glue cure time or bondo set time with other things that need to be done on the project, but sometimes it just amounts to fifteen minutes of applying glue and clamps, and then either firing up the saw and cutting panels for the next project or going inside to watch TV.

When the weather cooperates, I have been known to spend 10 hours in the shop on a Saturday and really rocking the sawdust. I am not a great woodworker by any stretch, but at this point I can cut, glue, trim and route a pair of regular rectangles in a couple of hours worth of labor, so I can really knock some stuff out on a marathon Saturday.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

It may have something to do with age. That and life's responsibilities. In my 20's and 30's I could work a full day, come home and change clothes, slam down a sandwich, then be out in the garage till midnight. Get up the next morning at 6 and do it all over again. Now in my 40's with a wife and kids I'm lucky to work on something for an hour after work. Sometimes I can get 4-6 hours on a good Saturday...
      Craig

Comment

Just a couple hours at a time. More than that and fatigue leads to slips, errors, and less general precision in my work. Also, my eyes are not so good anymore and they get tired - also leading to lower quality finish, etc.

Comment

I'll spend as much time in the shop as life and circumstances will allow.
          When other responsibilities were less and when I did this stuff for a living it was not uncommon for me to spend 16 hours or more working (not always speakers tho).
          These days, an hour or eight after work, maybe a few days a week tops, more hours on some weekends. As much as I can tho.
          My physical limits are less and I'm a little less productive in some ways for that. However greater efficiency through experience helps make up for some.
          Mentally I'm still game.
          ~99%
          Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
          Make me a poster of an old rodeo
          Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
          To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

I use to work all day like PWR RYD back when I did mindless work (small service bodies) at my job but now I work on the bigger hydraulic trucks and I have to use my brain all day. By the end of the day my brain just doesn't want to think too hard. Most work is done on the weekend and I can still work all day if I have everything I need and don't have to wait for things to dry.

Comment

1-4 hours intermittently. Only days off though, usually too fried after work to do anything "artistic".
              "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I'm retired and can spend almost as much time as I want when I want in my basement workshop year round, but I tend to work 2-4 hours on any given day, depending on the tasks involved.
                Paul

Comment

A couple of hours, give or take, depending on how my back holds out. I just now finished routing the woofer hole for Jeff's Docere. I'm resting for a bit, drinking a soft drink. Next I will tackle the tweeter holes, then I will drill the screw holes and rout the reliefs on the back side of the woofs.

Edit: Ok, it took about 40-45 minutes to rout the tweeter holes.

Comment

Maybe an hour after work during the week, 2-3 hours, maybe a bit more or less on the weekends.
                    I try to arrange my work to be productive for each session, but also have plenty of patience with the
                    process. It's probably better long term to spend 6 weeks on a build rather than 6 days.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Nice speakers!!

It depends on what it takes to do the next step in the project. Last weekend I spent 3-4 hours refitting the system with new baffles. Today I expected to spend a few hours integrating the tweeter horns to the transition speaker (midrange) but nailed it in 30 minutes. Once I get rolling I usualy stop at some logical point or where the task at hand is finished.

Comment

I must be nuts, but it's not unusual for me to do 12-14 hours on a Saturday. Of course I bust it up doing lots of different things from cutting, routing, assembling, veneer work and finishing, not to mention short breaks in between to learn something new on the forums. I work 2nd shift, so I do get some good hours in before 4 in the afternoon, but I'll often put in a couple hours after midnight too doing veneer, sanding, gluing and finishing.
                        have a productive Saturday all,
                        nikkoluvr

Comment

If I have a project in the summer when I'm not teaching, I can spend 9 am until ~6 pm easily. I take an hour for lunch.

If I've been working at the office all day, then it's extremely difficult to get into the shop for anything. That's especially true when the shop temps are 50 degrees F.
                          Bill Schneider
                          -+-+-+-+-
                          www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Probably just a few hours at a time. Its a hobby and if I'm tired, I stop. I did build some sprite stereo speakers for a gift and I was rushed to meet a time line and I put some 8 hour days on those. Still wasn't bad, I was just up later then normal to finish them.

I do like to cut all the wood in one day if I can. Mainly while my mind is on it and the measurements and paperwork are fresh in my mind. Granted, I haven't built full size speakers like the ones above either.

Comment

I rarely do any building on weekdays. When I have what I need I tend to go to town. Perhaps starting as early as 4am. I try to complete stages. Using clamps, brads and glue, I will complete a cab at a time or both if small. The next day when the glue is good and dry, I'll trim, sand and do baffle cutouts. I may wipe on sealer at this time and then done till the next weekend.

So, to answer your question, 4 to 6 hours at a shot. After that just a half hour or so at a shot to apply finish then they will come in the house for the other stuff.
                              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Working...
                              X