X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silver1omo
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Nov 2010

LM3886 amp.

So I finally "assembled" my point to pint LM3886 amp.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-20 11.27.46.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	510.5 KB
ID:	1187462

It is based on ESP's project 19.
    Right now is running with only 26vdc and sounds quite good, a little hum that is barely noticeable with nothing playing and with a lot more bass than the sure amp it will be replacing.

The idea is to make a MDF or ply box and match the finish of my Piccolatas.
    My Statement monitors
    My Piccolatas
    My LM3886 amp
  • PWR RYD
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Dec 2009

Re: LM3886 amp.

Looks like a fun project. Are you planning on increasing the supply voltage?
    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• Silver1omo
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Nov 2010

Yes, fun indeed. I totally forgot to add the power switch...
      Yes, I will increase the voltage, now I do not remember what I have available in that trafo (re-purposed from a sharp sub amp), 30-32vdc me thinks...

I still need to secure the trafo to the aluminum plate, figure out where to put the power switch (now that I run out of space in the back...) and consider a speaker protection circuit.
      My Statement monitors
      My Piccolatas
      My LM3886 amp

Comment

• Tin_Ears
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jun 2012

PM Neil Davis.
        "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

• tc
          • Nov 2005

Very cool! I have one that is "half-way" done. Really need to get working on that again....

Have you noticed any heat at all? (really dig the case/heat sinks). Also, have you considered putting a ground lift in it? Could then run to a star ground farther away from your chips?

Look forward to seeing the finished product. Wish more folks did amps on here....

Comment

• Silver1omo
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Nov 2010

The top of the sinks got a bit warm after 2 hours of high volume (higher than I usually listen to in the bedroom). The star ground is currently attached to the trafo skirt.
            To avoid having a bunch of cables and troubleshooting noise the ground from the input is connected to pin7 and from there to the star ground. The output ground also goes to the star ground and the IEC earth.

The speaker negative comes directly from the PS ground and in there I connect the ground of the power entry. Then 1 wire runs from there to the star ground.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	p19_fig1.gif
Views:	1
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1155264
            So the green ones go to SG and the red to PS ground.

Last time I really played with the grounding I found this to work better. Little noise and fixed an oscillation problem.
            My Statement monitors
            My Piccolatas
            My LM3886 amp

Comment

• dcibel
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jan 2010

LM3886 is a great little amp, excellent value, I hope it never becomes end-of-life. LM3886 was my first DIY amp, still use it today in my garage.

Not to bash your work, I see lots of people do this but I never understood point to point wiring "free-air". You can stuff your parts in a perfboard and do the point to point underneath. The end result is much cleaner and you won't be sticking pieces of electrical tape on your heatsink to be sure there's no shorts.
              I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

• Silver1omo
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Nov 2010

That is one of the things I love of this forum. The perfboard makes total sense...
                That will be used in another iteration. I want to compare a minimalistic chipamp to this more "complex" one.
                My Statement monitors
                My Piccolatas
                My LM3886 amp

Comment

• foxfire3
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Silver1omo
                  The top of the sinks got a bit warm after 2 hours of high volume (higher than I usually listen to in the bedroom). The star ground is currently attached to the trafo skirt.
                  To avoid having a bunch of cables and troubleshooting noise the ground from the input is connected to pin7 and from there to the star ground. The output ground also goes to the star ground and the IEC earth.

The speaker negative comes directly from the PS ground and in there I connect the ground of the power entry. Then 1 wire runs from there to the star ground.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]44081[/ATTACH]

Last time I really played with the grounding I found this to work better. Little noise and fixed an oscillation problem.
                  So despite your grounding scheme you're not sure the source of the hum at low volume?

Comment

• Silver1omo
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by foxfire3
                    So despite your grounding scheme you're not sure the source of the hum at low volume?
                    Yes... That shows how n00b and impatient I am. I was supposed to test a couple of other arrangements. But once I started to connect I did not stop to test...
                    My Statement monitors
                    My Piccolatas
                    My LM3886 amp

Comment

• Silver1omo
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Nov 2010

Increased the voltage to 30vdc (with no load). It still sings, no magic smoke was liberated.

I did notice that the space heater we have in the bedroom causes noise in the amp...

foxfire3, do you an advice to find the 'hum' source?
                      My Statement monitors
                      My Piccolatas
                      My LM3886 amp

Comment

• audioengr
                        Been Around Awhile
                        • Dec 2013

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44081[/ATTACH]

To reduce that last bit of hum, the bottom of R5 should be connected to the SG node and not shared with the PS capacitor. It is the inverting input's ground reference and is a high impedance node.

Comment

• AJ
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jan 2006

That is one of the things I love of this forum. The perfboard makes total sense...
                          To go another step forward towards a professional looking project, the LM3886 PCB's from chipamp.com are only $6ea.
                          "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Silver1omo
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AJ
                            To go another step forward towards a professional looking project, the LM3886 PCB's from chipamp.com are only $6ea.
                            Yes, but international shipping usually is a deal breaker, for the PCBs it is about $24USD and when I was "investigating" the LM3886 I remember reading that the zobel and other addons where a good idea, so I settled for the ESP's design and again the shipping cost dictated that I could try it with no PCBs. At the time I was trying to make it a cheap project to see if I was able to do it...

So it is a repurposed trafo, free LM3886s (eval units from TI), most of the cables were from the house stock and only purchased the resistors and caps.

The next try will likely be the chipamp.com PCBs then I can compare.

Originally posted by audioengr
                            To reduce that last bit of hum, the bottom of R5 should be connected to the SG node and not shared with the PS capacitor. It is the inverting input's ground reference and is a high impedance node.
                            I can try that...
                            My Statement monitors
                            My Piccolatas
                            My LM3886 amp

Comment

• SirNickity
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Dec 2012

You're braver than I am. PtP wiring a chip amp seems like a really easy way to short something out. ;)

The few 3886s I've built have been pretty much silent, so it can be done! Remember that the chip's ground pin has nothing to do with audio -- it's just a reference for the mute circuit.

Comment

Working...