Universal remotes, and advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal remotes, and advice?

The only thing keeping my simple bedroom system from being simple is all the remotes. My friend has a Logitech Harmony 1 but it's still pricey even after all these years and is probably overkill for my setup (and any future plans for that matter). I don't know much about what's available. A Friend said if the remote has a display then be sure to get one that is rechargeable (Logitech 700 for example) however, I have 4 good AA rechargeable batteries and a charger that are currently unused. If I could get a standard battery remote that ran on 2 AA's I'm sure I'd be happy (Logitech 650), a 4 battery remote is still doable.

Planned use(s), primarily.
    1) -cable TV viewing- ...replace cable remote (just volume control really), TV is used in combination with AT&T cable box.
    2) -rockin' out- ...smart TV used to control Pandora app, also need volume control for DAC (TV feeds DAC, DAC has controls volume)
    3) -watching DVD's/Blu-ray's- ...control player, control DAC for volume

Suggestions?
    Last edited by aarond; 01-28-2014, 07:26 PM.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Universal remotes, any advice?

Originally posted by aarond View Post
    The only thing keeping my simple bedroom system from being simple is all the remotes. My friend has a Logitech Harmony 1 but it's still pricey even after all these years and is probably overkill for my setup (and any future plans for that matter). I don't know much about what's available. A Friend said if the remote has a display then be sure to get one that is rechargeable (Logitech 700 for example) however, I have 4 good AA rechargeable batteries and a charger that are currently unused. If I could get a standard battery remote that ran on 2 AA's I'm sure I'd be happy (Logitech 650), a 4 battery remote is still doable.

Planned use(s), primarily.
    1) -cable TV viewing- ...replace cable remote (just volume control really), TV is used in combination with AT&T cable box.
    2) -rockin' out- ...smart TV used to control Pandora app, also need volume control for DAC (TV feeds DAC, DAC has controls volume)
    3) -watching DVD's/Blu-ray's- ...control player, control DAC for volume

Suggestions?
    I have a Harmony 600 and really like it!! I use NiMH batteries in almost everything, so I just swap in a fresh-charge pair.
    600 was a 5 function-

ie-
    Preamp
    CD
    BD player
    TV
    Surround Processor

(for example)
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Some of the samsung and LG phones and 7 or 8" tablets have IR blasters so can be used with an app as a universal remote. It won't have the tactile feel of real buttons, but they won't wear out either like my harmony 700 seems to be doing.

Pricier than some universal remotes, but far more funtional.

Comment

I had a Logitech Harmony 880 for a few years and absolutely loved it. It started acting a little funny (probably from abuse over the years) and I "upgraded" to the Harmony One... still a great product but I HATE the touchscreen. Terrible idea for a remote. Real buttons are the way to go. I thought the 880 might be available cheap now since it's so old, but I just found it on Amazon for $345 ?!?! :eek: That's at least double what I paid.

I think my iPhone has apps to control my TV (Samsung), Cablebox(Scientific America) and AVR (Denon) over the LAN - maybe you can find similar apps without getting an IR blasting tablet/phone. Unfortunately, I doubt this will apply to the DAC or Bluray.

A lower end Harmony is probably a good way to go. I don't know how often you would need to charge the batteries. Could be annoying. I think one of the mid-level Harmony remotes doesn't have a dock, but a wall-wart that plugs directly into the remote itself, somewhat more convenient than manually taking out batteries and using your own charger.

Good luck

Comment

I use a Harmony 650 and it works well. Can hook up to five devices. Battery consumption has not been a problem. Got it went on sale at Best Buy for $45 dollars a few years ago.
          Office System: Core 2 DIY Speaker, Primaluna Prologue One Tube Amp, Rega P1 turntable, Ortofon M2 phono cartridge, Marantz cd5005. Family Room: Tango, Monoprice 50w tube amp, Sony Bdp-6500 Blu Ray player, Denon DVD-1930 SACD, Direct TV HD , Samsung 55 inch 4k tv. Man Cave: Jasmine Redux, Emotiva XSP-1 preamp, XDA 2 dac, Sherbourn cd-1, xpa-200 amp, music hall 5.0 turntable, Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge. Fusion 8100, Overnight Sensations, Polk CS2 center channel, Sony BDP-S6500

Comment

I've had good luck with this one. Love the feel of it and the batteries last a good long time:

http://www.amazon.com/URC-MasterCont...emote+irc+rf20

Comment

I've used a harmony for about 4 years now that I got reconditioned from Tigerdirect.com I'd try there first.

Comment

+1

Great remote. Built like a tank, too.
                If you buy this one you get some freedom to place things wherever and you don't have to point the remote!
                It works very well even in my RF noisy environment.

Originally posted by sawdust View Post
                I've had good luck with this one. Love the feel of it and the batteries last a good long time:

http://www.amazon.com/URC-MasterCont...emote+irc+rf20
                ~99%
                Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
                Make me a poster of an old rodeo
                Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
                To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

I will +eleventy billion on the Harmony's. I used to give them away for free with all of my theater installs and even whole house audio installs. They are that good; they saved me countless hours and dollars not having to jack with stuff. The "help" function makes it to where any neophyte can pick it up and make a system work. At our house, we call our Harmony "Carol". Grandma's name is Carol.......even she can run stuff when she gets here... I now use the 650's. I had four of the 880's and each eventually died. I saw zero sense getting the "better" model as it performs flawlessly. I also like the ergonomics of it. Fits the hand real well and if you are a DVR type person, the buttons are well laid out for easy no-look use.

Comment

Working...
                  X