Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Express Web Browser Speed Test - Compare Your Speed

Dear Members,

We have heard comments about how our site search and filtering is painfully slow from some of you.

We would like you to see what the normal speed is for our site on a typical PC, based on dozens of tests we did of various configurations, times, and systems.

We shot a video of a typical speed test so you can compare what you are seeing to a typical user's experience.

Test Performed: 1/31/2014
    Browser: Chrome Version 32.0.1700.102 m
    Connection: Broadband Connection On Network
    Device: Windows 7 PC / 32-bit / 4 Gig Ram / Core i3-3220 @ 3.3 GHz

We know there are millions of configuration variables and everyone will have a different experience.

We deliver our site to well over 20,000 people a day. We upgraded our entire site last November to improve "EVERYTHING".

Please watch this video to compare the typical user experience to yours.

If you are getting much slower performance than the video shows, please email me the following details about your system and we will investigate if there is anything we can do to help.

Time:
    Browser Version:
    Device:
    Connection:

We know this is very unscientific but we just wanted to open up the lines of communication.

Thanks

Re: Parts Express Web Browser Speed Test - Compare Your Speed

Steve,

I don't think the problem was really speed related. The problem that most of us complained about is the search function. In the past doing SEO on my own websites and sites of clients, I learned to upload site maps to Google analytic's. You also want to implement Google search for your eCommerce site and the forum.

I am sure you are loosing business when one of us searches your site for a item and nothing comes up. I have had to resort to using Google to find things by this syntax: site: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/ theitemiamlookingfor.

I don't think most people will go that far to find items on the site. So they will go elsewhere to get what they want.

Most CMS's and forum's have the Google search option and if you include daily site maps more people will find what they are looking for and more potential income will be made.

Just my .02

Kevin
    Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
    OS MTM's
    Digger 8 sub
    Overnight Sensations Center Channel
    Sprite Build
    Wolf's PC Speakers
    Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

I don't know about others, but I use my tablet or phone to go on PE while in the bathroom. The site is very slow even on nexus 7 2013. It's 2014... I think PE has to think more broadly than "Typical PC" (But please don't post any speedtest videos of someone surfing PE in the bathroom with their mobile device.)

Comment

I just ran a test (6yo dt w/Vista on DSL) and it runs almost as fast as your demo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a few wks ago, once I picked a woofer size (dia.) the OTHER size choices were then gone from view, so if I wanted a range of woofers (like 6.5" to 8"), once I clicked " 8in ", I was sqwoood (as Kripke would say).

I like it now. I can keep adding sizes . . . I thought (before) that it would be better to be able to click several buttons, and then hit an "update view" button, but as long as the update is nearly instantaneous, this works well (enough).

Comment

Your speed issue might just be the tablet itself. I am at work right now and it loads lickety split.

Might want to perform a "tune up" and see if that helps.

Kevin

Originally posted by mintos View Post
          I don't know about others, but I use my tablet or phone to go on PE while in the bathroom. The site is very slow even on nexus 7 2013. It's 2014... I think PE has to think more boardly than "Typical PC"
          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
          OS MTM's
          Digger 8 sub
          Sprite Build
          Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Chris,

Every single filter CAN BE set to allow multiple choices instead of only one choice. This is a manual setting in our search system.

I am reluctant to turn everyone on to multi-select as most users seem to get confused when you have multiple choices on filters.

The goal of system is really to filter down to the exact match and when you allow multiple selections from a single filter you no longer are only narrowing down to exact specifications.

If you have specific filters that really should be multiple selects - send me over an email and we will more than likely turn the switch.

Thanks

Comment

Browser Firefox 26.0
              Connection 1.5mbs DSL
              Device Windows 7 PC / 32 bit / 8 Gig Ram / AMD A8-3870

It works as quick as your demo.

Ron
              C-Note Iron Driver Build
              The Lydias
              The Cherry π's
              The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
              My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Kevin,

We are looking into changing the model field from exact matching to partial matching.

Every change to our system has to go through rigorous testing before we can turn it live as there seems to be unknown consequences to everything.

The original problem was that a search for W4-1320 did not find a match for a product. The real model number of one actual match is W4-1320SJ ( http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...river--264-847 ). That is why a search for W4-1320* matches three results.

If we change to partial matching effects many searches such as searching for Car would find these matches making a mess of the results:
                carpet
                caramel
                carbide
                carbon
                carcinogen
                card
                careful
                etc......

Thanks for your feedback and we are always working to make the site better.

Comment

all you have to do is limit the search engine to the PE website and this would not ne a problem
                  craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Steve,

Do you incorporate Google search and upload site maps? Doing so would greatly enhance the search process.

Kevin

I just seemed to answer my own question. It seems that you guys are using vbulletin for the forum and Znode Storefront for the eCommerce site. I saw the java for google for the store and yahoo for vbulletin. But something else is amiss. And it just isn't the partial vs. exact matching.

I just went to check out the vbulletin website and when I did a simple search on their forum I got the hour glass and no results. Seems that may be a issue with them. I do not know if it just needs some coding work or if you need to work on the database. But that is not a good sign.

Might want to get an expert for each software package you have and get to work on it. The longer these problems go on the more money you guys are going to loose.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    Kevin,

We are looking into changing the model field from exact matching to partial matching.

Every change to our system has to go through rigorous testing before we can turn it live as there seems to be unknown consequences to everything.

The original problem was that a search for W4-1320 did not find a match for a product. The real model number of one actual match is W4-1320SJ ( http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...river--264-847 ). That is why a search for W4-1320* matches three results.

If we change to partial matching effects many searches such as searching for Car would find these matches making a mess of the results:
                    carpet
                    caramel
                    carbide
                    carbon
                    carcinogen
                    card
                    careful
                    etc......

Thanks for your feedback and we are always working to make the site better.
                    Last edited by kevin007; 01-31-2014, 04:25 PM. Reason: answered my own question
                    Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                    OS MTM's
                    Digger 8 sub
                    Sprite Build
                    Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Since November's big site change we no longer use the google search at all.

Previously, if a search found zero results we defaulted to the google search results.

We found that this was a mixed bag. And one that we really had no control of making it work the way we wanted. It would deliver pages that were just loops of the same google results. It would pull in every product on our site which included about 20,000 old products that were no longer current. We do know that many times it would find something that should have been found.

We are 100% committed to tuning the Endeca Search Engine (Oracle product) that we use on our site now. It is the same search engine that the big boys use (best buy, walmart, staples, etc). It was a major investment by our company. The key is in the tuning. We are learning every day how to deliver better results.

With the solid feedback we get from our customers, here on Tech Talk, Facebook, Phone Calls, Emails, Reviews, etc.... we are making it better every day.

We really appreciate our customers and we promise to keep working at it.

And yes, we use sitemaps and have tremendous placement inside the google index to drive organic traffic to our site.

Thanks

Comment

Speed's pretty close to the demo using a Pentium G870 dual-core at 3.1GHz on Gentoo Linux with Chromium 31.0.something. Internet connection is Gigabit LAN through internal network to a pair of 600Mb/s Sonet pipes. (teehee)

I noticed the slowest load time was a product page.

However, that's all on a computer with a ton of processing power. On a mobile over 3G, the main page took about 15s, speaker category took about 6s, woofers took 7s, selecting "6 1/2" on the filters took 9s (and this is where that time starts adding up...), selecting the first woofer took 18s.

That doesn't seem too bad, but having to wait 10s between each option tick when you want to look for 8, 9, 10, 11, 12" woofers is painful. I wouldn't do it. I would put the phone back in my pocket and (try to remember to) do it later when I had access to a computer. If I could select the filter options in one go, hit Submit, and wait 10s once, then I can totally accept that load time.

"Then don't use a phone" OK, sure, but TBH, I do an inordinate amount of browsing from a mobile device. When I'm away from home and someone says "hey how much would it cost to build a sub?", or when I'm riding shotgun and want to check out some options for an idea that popped in my head, or when I'm on the couch watching TV with the missus... etc etc. That's just what happens a lot of the time. For really CPU-heavy sites, I find it easier to hit my home box with VNC and browse remotely, which is kinda sad.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                          I just ran a test (6yo dt w/Vista on DSL) and it runs almost as fast as your demo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a few wks ago, once I picked a woofer size (dia.) the OTHER size choices were then gone from view, so if I wanted a range of woofers (like 6.5" to 8"), once I clicked " 8in ", I was sqwoood (as Kripke would say).

I like it now. I can keep adding sizes . . . I thought (before) that it would be better to be able to click several buttons, and then hit an "update view" button, but as long as the update is nearly instantaneous, this works well (enough).

lol!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post

lol!!!

Comment

Speed has never been an issue. Mine is just as fast as yours on dsl connection. Slightly slower on phone but that should be expected imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X