Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to secure crossover to cabinet?

Speaker in question: OS MTM

How do you guys secure the crossovers in your cabinets? Just hot glue to the base? Any other options?

I don't plan on dropping or juggling the cabinets. But in my mind hot glue doesn't seem secure enough. Maybe I'm paranoid

Re: How to secure crossover to cabinet?

Wood "stands"/"spacers" and screws.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2671.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1155401

Not a OS MTM...
    My Statement monitors
    My Piccolatas
    My LM3886 amp

Comment

My $.02,

You can go to Home Depot and pick up some plastic standoffs. They are in the 'drawer' cabinet in the midst of the nuts/bolts/wahers aisle. Like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...7308/100338254

They have different sizes. Just figure out the screw size you are using and buy appropriately.
      If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

Mmmm.... already primed & Lacquered the cabinets. Not sure I can get tools through the 4" driver openings for that solution. I may be doomed to hot glue. Although I may be able to screw it to the internal brace. It's a thought.

I guess that's part of screwing up on your first time. Although I still need to drill holes for the terminals on the cabinet. Probably light sand & put down one more coat of lacquer.

Comment

can you get the xo through the hole?

I have had this problem as well. Being someone who has become quite good at 'jimmying' things, I just took some 3/4" wood screws and hand intalled the xo with hand/arm power and a shory screwdriver. This was using perf board, but you could do the same if you drill some small corner holes in the xo board. Lay the board in where you want it to sit, feed your hand through, put the screw into the board hole and press down hard to start the screw into the cab. Need to make big turns so the threads will catch proper. After a few turns it gets easier.

Crude perhaps, but works for me.
          If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

I usually use small wood standoffs as well, screw them to the board and then glue the whole assembly into the cab. Easy to install, but still removable later if need be. Here's another idea, industrial strength velcro, no tools required. It holds my (rather hefty) guitar effects pedals to my pedal board just fine, and actually if I use too much they are rather hard (impossible) to remove.
            My modest builds:
            Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
            Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
            Armadillo Center Channel
            Au-Rock-O Sub
            Tarkus
            Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Other option would be to add the wood spacer to the XO board and use double sided tape/industrial strength velcro to adhere it.
              My Statement monitors
              My Piccolatas
              My LM3886 amp

Comment

I've used double sided foam tape along with hot glue on the edges. The strong velcro would work too. As long as it doesn't move or rattle, then I doesn't really matter how its done.

Comment

Originally posted by the kid View Post
                  can you get the xo through the hole?

I have had this problem as well. Being someone who has become quite good at 'jimmying' things, I just took some 3/4" wood screws and hand intalled the xo with hand/arm power and a shory screwdriver. This was using perf board, but you could do the same if you drill some small corner holes in the xo board. Lay the board in where you want it to sit, feed your hand through, put the screw into the board hole and press down hard to start the screw into the cab. Need to make big turns so the threads will catch proper. After a few turns it gets easier.

Crude perhaps, but works for me.
                  Yeah I made sure the board would fit before I assembled the network. I like this idea or maybe the velcrow trick. Just a screw on each end of the board should do the trick.

Comment

All mine are hot melt glue gunned in. Haven't had any problems...

Kevin
                    Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                    OS MTM's
                    Digger 8 sub
                    Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                    Sprite Build
                    Wolf's PC Speakers
                    Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

I originally just used hot melt glue, but then shipped a couple sets across the country. The hot melt glue did not hold up to the handling practices of Fedex and UPS. Now I typically decide where I am going to put a screw or screws and predrill the hole in the crossover board, choose an appropriate length screw, maneuver the board into place and use a shorty screw driver to drive the screw into the enclosure. When I've had cross braces, I've also used tie wraps around the crossover and brace to secure the crossover to the brace. I haven't had much luck with the velcro for the same reason hot glue didn't work. The hooks and loops hold fine, but the adhesive didn't hold the tape to the cabinet very well. A few dabs of hot glue and a single screw is adequate. Always tie wrap your inductors and large caps to the board. The inductors are heavy enough that even a small impact will tear them loose from hot glue and potentially other components connected to the inductors.

Comment

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy some heavy duty Velcro, cut both types out to whatever sizes are needed, perhaps one pair per corner, affix them to the back of the crossover board and let that adhesive "cure" overnight, then remove the protective tape from the other side and stick the assemblies on the insides of the cabinet.
                        Paul

Originally posted by Josh_Murphy View Post
                        Mmmm.... already primed & Lacquered the cabinets. Not sure I can get tools through the 4" driver openings for that solution. I may be doomed to hot glue. Although I may be able to screw it to the internal brace. It's a thought.

I guess that's part of screwing up on your first time. Although I still need to drill holes for the terminals on the cabinet. Probably light sand & put down one more coat of lacquer.

Comment

I'll second post #2. necessity forced me to this with a set of Wolf's MN-14's, and it works pretty well. just screw the small wood spacers onto the crossover, put a little yellow glue on the feet, and set the crossovers down on the side of the cabinet. Works slick! You can set the crossovers in place and just tip them up, put the glue on the spacers with a glue brush and set them back down too if it's a very tight space.
                          good luck!
                          nikkoluvr

Comment

I am Mr. Lazy. Mount the largest air core inductor in the center of your circuit board and drill a 1/4" hole through the board. Using a 1/4" stud clamp the XO against cabinet wall using the inductor as your standoff.

Comment

Working...
                            X