Adjustable port question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable port question

To anyone that has used Adjustable ports.
    What would be the best procedure to setting the adjustable port length?
    Glue it? What kind of glue? How would I apply it?
    Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Re: Adjustable port question

Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
    To anyone that has used Adjustable ports.
    What would be the best procedure to setting the adjustable port length?
    Glue it? What kind of glue? How would I apply it?
    depends on the specific product i would imagine. ive had good success on plastic ports using either (get this) pvc glue or some 5 minute epoxy. for pvc glue to bond correctly you usually have to use a cleaner, which may distort (if only slightly) thin wall plastic.

Comment

I've seen a solid recommendation in the past where people used an adjustable port temporarily, and then once they found a tuning they liked, they measured exactly what it was and cut a final port out of PVC, that way they could reuse the adjustable port. Just make sure the ID matches and you'd be in good shape. Could save a little bit of $$.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post
        I've seen a solid recommendation in the past where people used an adjustable port temporarily, and then once they found a tuning they liked, they measured exactly what it was and cut a final port out of PVC, that way they could reuse the adjustable port. Just make sure the ID matches and you'd be in good shape. Could save a little bit of $$.
        I already have the ports purchased, (part of the kit), I won't be getting any more pvc.
        Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by VegaMan View Post
          depends on the specific product i would imagine. ive had good success on plastic ports using either (get this) pvc glue or some 5 minute epoxy. for pvc glue to bond correctly you usually have to use a cleaner, which may distort (if only slightly) thin wall plastic.
          I have some epoxy. Would I need to stuff it into gap of the two tubes?
          Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

epoxy could work. Even duct tape will do. I have actually done just that a couple of times. Usually because I made a goof and didn't install the port before gluing on the baffle. Still worked and no problems.
            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Just smear a film on the outside of the inner tube, and inside of the outer (maybe, using your "pinky") and "twist" them together, closer and closer until you hit the proper length. Done. Rubbing alcohol will remove the epoxy from your finger (and other stuff) in its earlier stages of curing. Later, you'd probably need acetone.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                Just smear a film on the outside of the inner tube, and inside of the outer (maybe, using your "pinky") and "twist" them together, closer and closer until you hit the proper length. Done. Rubbing alcohol will remove the epoxy from your finger (and other stuff) in its earlier stages of curing. Later, you'd probably need acetone.
                Thanks Chris, that sounds about the right thing to do.
                I am about to put the veneer on, and then the port.
                If this project turns out right, I will post some pics.
                Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
                  I have some epoxy. Would I need to stuff it into gap of the two tubes?
                  i subscribe to the put it where it fits and you can reach it method. i don't fit into narrow spaces so hot so i tend to apply on the outside of the pipe and press into the seam or use the sliding method chris mentioned if the pipe is a diameter i can fit my chubby fingers into.

would enjoy seeing pics of your final product.

Comment

Working...
                  X