• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp quiz time!

I have:
    Pioneer SA-7500 - 30 Watts RMS
    Yamaha AX-596 - 100 Watts RMS
    Pioneer A-20 - 40 Watts RMS

Which amp would you say is the best for all round frequency output?
    Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Re: Amp quiz time!

Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
    I have:

What do you mean? Widest bandwidth? Best Sound? Best Bench performance? TIA
    “Never ask people about your work.”
    ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

Originally posted by DE Focht View Post
      What do you mean? Widest bandwidth? Best Sound? Best Bench performance? TIA
      Best sound, displaying lows, mids , and highs.
      And what is "TIA"?
      Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Oh, boy. "Best sound" is going to be completely subjective, dependent on how each individual feels about the sound being produced. So, there's not likely an accurate answer to that question.

Additionally, how the load (the speaker) interacts with the amplifier will also affect the tonal quality produced.

All that being said - my guess would likely be the Pioneer A20. The SA-7500 is a really well respected piece of vintage gear, and it's likely to produce the "warmest" tones. Specs wise, the AX-596 and A-20 are just about identical, and both should blow the SA-7500 out of the water. The Yamaha has significantly more power (and thus headroom) on tap, but at equivalent (non-clipping) volumes, the A-20 is going to be more efficient. Which one sounds better is generally up to a personal choice.
        DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
        The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
        The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
        The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
        AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Thanks In Advance

I lean towards the AX-596....but do you have other choices? The Pioneers may have more subjective bass but will not have the mids of the Yammie.

What speakers will you be using or what is there configuration/specs?

Comment

I have:

I haven't heard any of them. But after googling them all the one that seems to be considered a audiophile amp is the Pioneer SA-7500. Audiophiles normally don't like a amp that doesn't have good clean dynamic power.

What do you think since you have them all?

Kevin
            Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
            OS MTM's
            Digger 8 sub
            Overnight Sensations Center Channel
            Sprite Build
            Wolf's PC Speakers
            Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Originally posted by DE Focht View Post
              Thanks In Advance

I lean towards the AX-596....but do you have other choices? The Pioneers may have more subjective bass but will not have the mids of the Yammie.

What speakers will you be using or what is there configuration/specs?

I am currently using the Overnight Sensations MTM.
              Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Any of those amps have enough power for the OS MTM.

I'd lean toward the newer Pioneer A-20, just because it's newer.

If you needed the headroom/power then the Yamaha would be my first choice, but possibly a newer model. The AX-596 is an old model, something like ten years old now.

None of this assumes cost or availability preferences.

~99%
                Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
                Make me a poster of an old rodeo
                Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
                To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

I have not used the A-20, nor heard OS's in my own system.

But I think the Pioneer 7550 will be the "most kind to music" comb'd with your OS's. The Yamaha in larger spaces might be the choice because small speakers need more power.

There are many many variables, when you consider the age of the amps, your musical tastes and the rooms acoustics...X infinity

But if I was drawing blind and had a 14 x 18 room or smaller...I'd pick the 7500, the newer amps will present more clarity but depending on your musical tastes this could make the music fatigue you more quickly. That is my best guess/ choice

Comment

You're relatively unlikely to find a SA-7500 that doesn't need work. FWIW, while all this is subjective, I find the vintage Pioneers to have a fairly brittle sound, hardly warm compared to vintage Marantz, Sansui, Kenwood and even Yamaha.

For new gear, I'd pick the Yamaha A-S300 over the Pioneer. The Yammie doesn't have bass management, but it does have a Subwoofer Out connection.
                    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                    OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                    Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                    Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                    Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                    LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

It really depends on the speakers you plan to drive, the amp/speaker matching is what is most important. But if I had to just make. Quick choice, I would pick the Yamaha, I always need more power! So even at lower volumes the higher power will render tighter bass. But that is a broad brush statement, again it is the speaker/amp matching that really matters. How do you match your amp to your speakers? Well specs can be important, match the speakers wattage rating to the amp, but no substitute for just listening to them.
                      RussellK

Comment

Amp quiz time!

Is the Yamaha the model that a Florida audio parts dealer couldn't distinguish from his obviously superior 5 figure Pass monoblocs in his own reference system? If so, that one has a fun story behind it.

That said I'd just use the newest one. Reliability is a real thing, unlike most of the delusions about amp "sound." And generally a newer piece of electronics will be more reliable than an older one. Your speakers don't make demands that require an arc welder.
                        --
                        "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Thanks to all for replies and comments.
                          The reason I was asking this because the only way I can get more midrange freq to come out of my speakers, was to use a graphic equalizer.
                          My SA-7500 almost get it right, but alas, no joy.

I guess I'll just keep using my equalizer, eh?
                          Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Working...
                          X