Car Audio Specific forum... why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Audio Specific forum... why not?

Here at PETT, I have noticed there are several members who are interested in car audio (and a few who just downright dont like it for some reason). So why not have a dedicated car audio section on the forum?

I know on a lot of car audio foruns there are an abundance of trolls and "I-dont-actually-know-what-Im-talking-about" know it alls, but that isnt the case here for the most part. There is a wealth of knowledge to be shared, and I think it would be cool to have a resource for those interested in car audio. Parts Express supports a vast car audio community with their products, so why not support it with the forum?

What do you guys think?

Re: Car Audio Specific forum... why not?

I like the idea.
    Every once in a great while, I have a car audio question.
    Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

I think it will be met with great scorn by quite a few of the guys here, unfortunately. I think it is a great idea, and a way to help break down some of the more misinformed opinions by bringing intelligent, well-informed and rational dialog to the table.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

You could almost go one more step and segregate techtalk into home audio, car audio, and open techtalk forum for questions. Another thing I have seen on other forums like ICIXSound is an open chat wall that is simular to an instant messanger, like speakchat but everyone could view it.
        If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
        What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
        It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

I'm not interested in auto audio, but I agree with Thumper Tom on this one.
          Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
          DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
          Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
            I think it will be met with great scorn by quite a few of the guys here, unfortunately. I think it is a great idea, and a way to help break down some of the more misinformed opinions by bringing intelligent, well-informed and rational dialog to the table.
            I think it's an excellent idea, and I think having a sub-forum on Car Audio is just as valid as one for custom installers and one for Pro-sound. Parts Express sells lot of drivers and accessories for car audio enthusiasts and you would think that this would be a great outlet for them. I can't really see any real reason to oppose a sub-forum for this topic, and a reason for "great scorn" would baffle me.
            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Jeff, just that whenever car audio comes up it is very often met with comments along the lines "those guys just want to be heard six blocks away". I think a forum here would go a long ways to dispelling that misconception.
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I like the idea a lot. I've got a couple of "systems" that need help, whenever I can get to it, but I don't generally even look at the car audio forums I know about. The crowd here is more my age and temperament, generally, and there is a tremendous amount of wisdom and expertise freely given here. I've got to say this is just about the most civil discussion forum I know of, and I think a lot of good exchanges of information would happen in a separate forum. PE sells a lot of good car audio stuff too, of course, so yeah, why not?

Comment

I like the idea. There's several members on here who have a solid background in car audio.

Comment

I know one or two who have a solid background in car audio. There are two moderators at DIYMA who post here regularly...and one of them owns a Klippel machine.

Comment

I was referring to you and Erin in my post. ;)

Comment

While I have nothing against car audio I don't think it is such a great idea. The more different sections you have the more segragated the forum will get. This is also why I don't care for the seperate category for projects. I think it is better to have it all in one spot so everyone notices what is happening. If someone doesn't care for car audio they don't have to look but you may lose some people that just care about audio but don't care enough to go to the car audio section. These people might still contribute to a car audio question if it is in the main forum. Sorry I can't word it better but I think my point should make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                          While I have nothing against car audio I don't think it is such a great idea. The more different sections you have the more segragated the forum will get. This is also why I don't care for the seperate category for projects. I think it is better to have it all in one spot so everyone notices what is happening. If someone doesn't care for car audio they don't have to look but you may lose some people that just care about audio but don't care enough to go to the car audio section. These people might still contribute to a car audio question if it is in the main forum. Sorry I can't word it better but I think my point should make sense.
                          I get what youre saying and this was a point that my dad (a car audio guy) had made.

Another point I want to make is that I feel like it would be geared more toward SQ and not SPL in this community, and the SQ are a very small, but skilled, bunch. Anyone can throw 2 15" subs in a box and pump 2,000 watts to them.

Comment

I like the idea. I bet it would get more use than the OmniMic forum....
                            DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
                            The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
                            The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
                            The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
                            AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

I'm with Killa here. The problem is further segregation. This means fewer people will view a post in another forum than they would in Tech-Talk as it is.
                              As of right now, I look at the Beta Tester forum for updates listed from the main forum page, otherwise I don't view it.
                              The Commercial Sound and OmniMic forums I've never read.
                              The Live Sound I read if the latest post is intriguing, but that's been maybe twice.
                              I always check the Classifieds, Gallery, and TechTalk.

The Project Gallery I still say is not being used as originally intended, regardless what the header possibly states or implies. To top that off, lots of new users go there and post queries about speakers when they aren't even in the right place. Build Threads in TT, links and finished photos in the Gallery- it was supposed to keep all Questions and Answers in the TT forum to make the Project Gallery less congested and have concise data linked in the Gallery. I see it as a mess compared to what it was intended to be. There should be incredibly fewer posts in the Gallery because of how it was supposed to have been used and structured.

It's never been a problem before to post about a car-audio Q in TechTalk, so why should that change?

I like the sections to be as few as possible so I miss less in what I would be interested.
                              My 2c,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X