X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dustinbagby
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Apr 2013

Car Audio sub-forum Poll!

The idea was thrown out in another thread I had posted about a car audio sub forum to start a poll, which I agree is a good idea and may give a better representation of the attitude towards it. It might be best to still direct all discussion to the existing thread (http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-forum-why-not) but feel free to cast your vote and maybe we can get PE to do something about it.

The sub forum could generate quite a bit of activity and consequently more business for PE in the long run, so we'll see.
    Yes - it a good idea and resource for those interested.
    57.14%
    No - There is no sense in further segregating the forums.
    34.29%
    No opinion - wouldn't affect me one way or the other.
    8.57%
  • Wolf
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Sep 2005

Re: Car Audio sub-forum Poll!

Originally posted by dustinbagby
    The idea was thrown out in another thread I had posted about a car audio sub forum to start a poll, which I agree is a good idea and may give a better representation of the attitude towards it. It might be best to still direct all discussion to the existing thread (http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-forum-why-not) but feel free to cast your vote and maybe we can get PE to do something about it.

The sub forum could generate quite a bit of activity and consequently more business for PE in the long run, so we'll see.
    Nope- we don't need any more forums here. I would like fewer.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• dustinbagby
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Wolf
      Nope- we don't need any more forums here. I would like fewer.
      Wolf
      Aww, come on Wolf! The car audio guys need their space just like the pro guys

Let me also say that while I have a little stereo work in my car, this is more for the guys who are die hard car guys, or thise who need some help getting into it or with a question here or there, not to mention how cool it would be to see car audio projects posted and shared, because those guys do some pretty cool stuff and have no outlet for it here.

Comment

• Tin_Ears
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jun 2012

I voted yes... but it's too bad PE didn't do that from the beginning because all pre-subforum data be buried in the old integrated forum.
        "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

• Wolf
          Obsessed & Proud of It
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Tin_Ears
          I voted yes... but it's too bad PE didn't do that from the beginning because all pre-subforum data be buried in the old integrated forum.
          Yeah- because it was originally a BBS forum and a single page. The revamp saved all back to Sept 2005, so you will have that because of how this forum has changed over time.

Personally, I don't really see the need for the Commercial and Pro forums here either.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• JCSquats
            Been Around Awhile
            • Dec 2011

I voted no because DIYMA compliments my car audio needs that Tech-Talk is unable to fulfill. I also prefer the "atmosphere" here over the other place. That said, both forums have taught me an abundance on each topic.

Comment

• isaeagle4031
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jun 2008

I've hemmed and hawed over this all day. Coming from a car audio background, my first inclination is to say yes. However, I just don't see that much in the way of support from PE on car audio. No offense PE but the majority of gear available from here not going to get the diyma crowd swarming here (and that I think is a good thing).

I can understand the desire for it and have seen way too many snarky comments made on car audio posts. I have also seen a lot of information posted (good and bad). Many ROTs that need to go by the wayside.

So I'm not really for or against it. I don't think it could hurt. How much traffic would it really generate? Look at the other two less frequented subforums. Those have a much higher interest rate to OE in terms if sales and both have very little traffic. Why not give it a trial period? See how it does. If the traffic does not justify it, let it die off.
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

• martin
                Midrange Member
                • Oct 2005

There are many other locations for discussing car audio. The crazy people and stuff that goes along with car audio forums would not add any value here. Car audio discussion should not be encouraged, maybe it should be prohibited.
                Martin

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
                www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

• savantstrike
                  Midrange Member
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by martin
                  There are many other locations for discussing car audio. The crazy people and stuff that goes along with car audio forums would not add any value here. Car audio discussion should not be encouraged, maybe it should be prohibited.
                  Aww, a bit harsh isn't it?

Honestly I've been lurking here for ages, I usually only come here when I've got a project (this place is expensive - it just makes you want to make sawdust). I've done more than a few car audio projects over the years. Car audio doesn't automatically mean you have leprosy or something.

Comment

• isaeagle4031
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Jun 2008

Mr Martin, while I respect your work and what you have contributed to the DIY community, it is this sort of negative attitude and stereotype that Dustin and others are talking about. No one is suggesting allowing the negative side of the car audio hobby to invade TT. There is nothing wrong with a well designed, thought out, and installed car audio system. And actually I have seen quite a few enclosures designed using YOUR work that have sounded quite good and rivaled some very fine home audio systems.

Actually it has been my pursuit of solid car audio experimentation and builds that has led me to working in home audio and further pursuing this hobby.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

• bark424
                      Midrange Member
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by JCSquats
                      I voted no because DIYMA compliments my car audio needs that Tech-Talk is unable to fulfill. I also prefer the "atmosphere" here over the other place. That said, both forums have taught me an abundance on each topic.
                      On that note I would have to vote YES. I don't know you on diyma, but from my experience on there most of those guys are a bunch of freaking idiots that talk a big game but their replies sure don't show it. Plus the brand hugging makes me sick. I've seen that everywhere but here. They lost several regulars a few months ago, for good reason. To me, audio is audio. If someone who hasn't installed an amp or speaker in a car since 1980 can direct me to a 2-way system like I have who needs diyma?

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Nov 2006

Car audio discussion should not be encouraged, maybe it should be prohibited.
                        Well, I thought it was funny!

Tough crowd, eh?
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

• blur
                          Been Around Awhile
                          • Jan 2014

Seeing as we have a very vocal minority here, I decided to post. I voted yes. Many of us have to work, which generally means a commute. I listed to music in my work truck mute than I do in my house, probably on the magnitude of ten times as much. Seeing as PE stocks car audio, it only makes sense to offer a forum for us. As far as martin and Wolf go, the car audio guys will post in our own forum, and you easily avoid seeing our posts if you wish.

Comment

• killa
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Jan 2006

Ahem! http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...rum-catagories Maybe we need a poll to see if people think polls are accurate :D

Comment

• blur
                              Been Around Awhile
                              • Jan 2014

We would be in our own little area of the forum, and most of us would likely have you on ignore, so your concerns should be nil or minimal at most.

Comment

Working...