Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retail value of Speedster Speakers for charity auction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retail value of Speedster Speakers for charity auction?

Recently I committed to making and donating a set of Speedster Speakers along with a Dayton DTA-120 amp to my son's private school's fundraising auction. I will be covering the speakers either with formica or veneer and they will look sharp but will not have any fancy woodwork to them. I need to give them the value of the speakers for the auction. I really don't know what to tell them. Can I have some ideas as to what speakers like these would retail for?

Re: Retail value of Speedster Speakers for charity auction?

This number may surprise you, but let's do the math:

Drivers: $300
    X/O Parts: $80 (approx)
    Cabinet: $35 (depending on finish).
    Total: About $425.00

Now mark that up by a minimum of 2 and you're looking at a RETAIL of $850. (Understand that a manufacturer wouldn't pay close to retail for the parts - more like 40%)

Somebody's going to be very happy with you!

Comment

Then there's the labor cost that a mfgr would also factor in.

Comment

I thought audio markup was closer to 5:1

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
          I thought audio markup was closer to 5:1
          You have to take into account that we pay retail for all our parts and the manufacturer would pay about 30% of what we pay - including raw goods for the enclosure. We pay $35 for a sheet of MDF, you can be sure that Klipsch doesn't!

I figure a 2:1 ratio puts ups in line with manufacturing community.

Comment

I don't know of too many ribbon speakers on the market to compare, so its hard to say. With the amp, I'd think minimum maybe $800 and $1000 max. Being it is a fundraiser and the whole point is giving, maybe the auction could start at $500-600 and then let it go where it goes. Who knows, maybe someone would really want them.

Have you been to this schools fundraiser before? Do you have an ideal of what people pay for items? I know people will pay $300+ for a cake for charity, but that isn't the same thing as a school fundraiser.

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post
              You have to take into account that we pay retail for all our parts and the manufacturer would pay about 30% of what we pay - including raw goods for the enclosure. We pay $35 for a sheet of MDF, you can be sure that Klipsch doesn't!

I figure a 2:1 ratio puts ups in line with manufacturing community.
              If we are talking the exact drivers maybe bulk would net them a 30% difference, but I doubt 70% delta.

I would think a 3:1 - 5:1 ratio would still be in the ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post
                This number may surprise you, but let's do the math:

Drivers: $300
                X/O Parts: $80 (approx)
                Cabinet: $35 (depending on finish).
                Total: About $425.00

Now mark that up by a minimum of 2 and you're looking at a RETAIL of $850. (Understand that a manufacturer wouldn't pay close to retail for the parts - more like 40%)

Somebody's going to be very happy with you!
                I don't agree with your assessment. The value of the product is not directly proportional to the value of the components used. The higher the quality of the components and the more esoteric the design, the higher the mark-up will be.

Though it is perfectly possible that the retail value of the speedsters is indeed $850, I don't think that the value of the components used in some of the very expensive speaker systems out there is half of the retail value.

It is with the much better and higher quality designs where DIY really starts paying off. Not so much so with the budget designs using cheap components other than the "fun" factor (unless really cheap or high value components are used such as close out drivers). It is hard to compete with China where labor is cheap.
                Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

All I was trying to do is help a guy who needs an estimate for a school fundraiser. It's not my intent to start a debate over the value of DIY v. Manufactured product. I've heard the Speedsters, along with hundreds of other DIY and Commercial offerings and in comparison to other products readily available to the consumer the Speedster at $850 is an appropriate price and a great design and value!

Comment

The value of the speedsters is probably about the same as the HiVi Swan M1 and M1B: + $900-$1,000.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

If you stencil a Bose logo on them, you'll probably get quite a bit more. (only half-joking)
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

The closest commercial offering I know is the Monitor GX50 which uses a 5.5in midwoofer with ribbon tweeter. That's also the speaker that prompted me to build my own Speedsters. The GX50 can be had for about $1500 but it had much more aesthetic appeal with piano finishes, magnetic grills and curved cabinets so comparatively I see the Speedsters going for about the $900-1000 range that Eric stated as an actual Street price if it were commercialized.
                        Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
                        Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
                        Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
                        Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
                        Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Consider having these playing during the auction or pre-auction so that bidders have some ideal to the quality that they're getting.

Comment

Don't forget the little amp that's included. Maybe some nice DIY speaker cables of a length to suggest desktop or bedroom use. And yes, set up to play with a nice source.

Comment

Originally posted by mike s View Post
                              Consider having these playing during the auction or pre-auction so that bidders have some ideal to the quality that they're getting.
                              Very good idea. I hope that is possible. It will probably substantially enhance the bidding action. Most people will have no idea what a little gem they are bidding on without hearing it. To them it is just another speaker.

Comment

Working...
                              X