3 way compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 way compatibility

I would like to use the 4 brand new Usher 8945A speakers that I have. I read that they are not a good choice for a three way system but could someone tell me if this driver combo would work well together in a TL type enclosure?
    Aurum Cantus AST 2560, Tang Band 75-1558SE, and 2-Usher 8945As per enclosure. I know that the tweeter is 4ohm and the mid is 8ohm and the woofer load will be 4ohm also.Is that a problem?
    Im not sure if I'm ready to go out on my own design yet, but I might try. If this combo is not good could someone help with choosing a tweeter and mid to go with the Ushers? Thanks Mike D.

Re: 3 way compatibility

First, the 8945As will work just as well in a TL as the P versions. My 3-way Cavatina used the A version and as you already know, the specs for both versions are all but identical. Second, the crossover you would end up with will take into account the different driver impedances just fine, too.
    Paul
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet front without grilles.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1156938

Originally posted by Mike47 View Post
    I would like to use the 4 brand new Usher 8945A speakers that I have. I read that they are not a good choice for a three way system but could someone tell me if this driver combo would work well together in a TL type enclosure?
    Aurum Cantus AST 2560, Tang Band 75-1558SE, and 2-Usher 8945As per enclosure. I know that the tweeter is 4ohm and the mid is 8ohm and the woofer load will be 4ohm also.Is that a problem?
    Im not sure if I'm ready to go out on my own design yet, but I might try. If this combo is not good could someone help with choosing a tweeter and mid to go with the Ushers? Thanks Mike D.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
      First, the 8945As will work just as well in a TL as the P versions. My 3-way Cavatina used the A version and as you already know, the specs for both versions are all but identical. Second, the crossover you would end up with will take into account the different driver impedances just fine, too.
      Paul
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]45097[/ATTACH]
      Yea, I really looked hard at the Cavatinas. I would really like to use two 8945As and either a dome mid or a larger mid though. Do you think the Cavatina's cabinet dimensions can accommodate 2 woofers and a dome (or larger) mid? Or would the whole TL have to be reconfigured?

Comment

Mike, I think I would be looking at an MTM or a 2.5 design.
        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

I wasn't suggesting to use the Cavatina cabinet, even in a larger size, to accommodate a pair of the 8945As, just that the 8945A will work just fine in a TL. There is more than one way to configure a good-performing TL, and it certainly would be worthwhile to optimize one for a pair of these woofers. Crossing a pair of 7" woofers to a dome midrange might be problematic, however, depending on how low that midrange can be successfully used.
          Paul

Yea, I really looked hard at the Cavatinas. I would really like to use two 8945As and either a dome mid or a larger mid though. Do you think the Cavatina's cabinet dimensions can accommodate 2 woofers and a dome (or larger) mid? Or would the whole TL have to be reconfigured?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
            I wasn't suggesting to use the Cavatina cabinet, even in a larger size, to accommodate a pair of the 8945As, just that the 8945A will work just fine in a TL. There is more than one way to configure a good-performing TL, and it certainly would be worthwhile to optimize one for a pair of these woofers. Crossing a pair of 7" woofers to a dome midrange might be problematic, however, depending on how low that midrange can be successfully used.
            Paul
            I thought using that cabinet was a long shot, (would have made it easier though). I would just like to use all 4 8945As in a pair of 3 ways. BTW the Tang Band dome mid seems to have a lower freq range than any dome mid ive seen which is the reason I thought it might work. Im not sure what Im going to do next. I may just save the Ushers for sometime in the future when I feel confident with my own design. Mike D.

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
              Mike, I think I would be looking at an MTM or a 2.5 design.
              Thanks for replying. I just finished an awesome MTM for my first build. Was looking to do something different for my next. Mike D.

Comment

"Crossing a pair of 7" woofers to a dome midrange might be problematic, however, depending on how low that midrange can be successfully used". -Paul K.

Paul, This is something that I dont get. Would you mind explaining this to me? I would like to know why this can be problematic. I dont understand. The way I'm thinking is as long as the speakers freq range over lapses enough to find a Xover point that satisfies both drivers, then its ok. Without getting too technical, what am I not seeing? Thanks Mike D.

Comment

Unfortunately, an overlapping frequency response doesn't necessarily mean a dome midrange will be able to perform with low distortion at a too-low crossover frequency. Just because the manufacture says it can "do" 300 Hz doesn't mean it will do that cleanly. Also, when you use two woofers crossed to a dome midrange at the same frequency, if the crossover frequency is high enough to avoid distortion from the midrange, you can also get unwanted lobing effects due to the different CTC spacings of those woofers to the midrange. Now, if the dome midrange has a large enough diameter and Xmax, crossing at a lower frequency may be very possible with no ill effects.
                  Paul

"Crossing a pair of 7" woofers to a dome midrange might be problematic, however, depending on how low that midrange can be successfully used". -Paul K.

Paul, This is something that I dont get. Would you mind explaining this to me? I would like to know why this can be problematic. I dont understand. The way I'm thinking is as long as the speakers freq range over lapses enough to find a Xover point that satisfies both drivers, then its ok. Without getting too technical, what am I not seeing? Thanks Mike D.

Comment

To take Paul's comments a step further, you may want to go with a 3.5 arrangement and slide to a smaller 2" midrange, which allows the Usher to play up to 1K to 1.2K. In a way you have too much overlap with the 3", and you're having to put the crossover in a bad spot with bigger and more expensive parts. The Morel EM-1308 maybe a suitable midrange for your project...see what you think.

I
                    “Never ask people about your work.”
                    ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

I disagree. I think you are going the wrong direction. I think you should go with a larger midrange driver and treat the 8945's like woofers. find a nice 4-5 inch mid and cross it at 200-300 Hz to the woofers.
                      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Would somebody recommend a suitable tweeter and mid to work with a pair of 8945As please? I would like to be in the $600 range for the tweeters and mids. Right now Im stuck between building my own design or building Paul's Sonatellos.

Comment

Would somebody recommend a suitable tweeter and mid to work with a pair of 8945As please? I would like to be in the $600 range for the tweeters and mids. Right now Im stuck between building my own design or building Paul's Sonatellos.
                          Mike Mike Mike guess what day it is?.....Anybody?

As you can see already CraigK and I disagree on a solution, he thinks integrating a 4" mid is easier and better than using a 2" dome mid and that a 2" dome mid won't keep up with the Usher woofer. Since 3 of my last several designs have been 2" mids with a single 7" or 8" woofer.... I disagree with those comments. But my disagreement does not invalidate his opinion.

So, welcome to DIY....Where you have thousands of choices and configurations to choose from and no reliable source to help you pick anything except Yourself. You phrase your Question like there is just one or two good ways to make this all happen for you,

I know what you want is this unbelievable speaker that has no peer but what are you trying to do? What equipment do you have to go with this speaker? In your mind have you given us enough information to spend $600 of your money? Imagine you're sending me to the speaker store with all the information you have shared in this thread and you give me $600 and instruct me to get you a suitable mid and tweeter....am I going to come back with what you want?

My pick is use only 1 woofer as a mid bass, the other as just a .5 woofer, add the morel em1308 midrange and use a Hiquphon OWII tweeter and use an active 2x8 crossover from Mini DSP.....
                          “Never ask people about your work.”
                          ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

you changed the rules :D. now if your going with a single woofer life is much easier. I can live with a 2" dome doing that. my biggest issue with a 2" dome is that you need a good woofer that you can cross high enough to take care of the large amount of energy in the 200 - 500 Hz range. a dome is just not designed to move enough air in that freq range, and that is not what they are suppose to do. the usher 8945A can do this with it's eyes closed. it is when you add in 2 ushers, unless you did a 3.5, which you mentioned above as a good alternative, I think things could get complicated. I am not a dome hater, in fact some of the best mids I have ever listened to came from a ATC dome. we agree 100 % on the use of a hiquphon tweeter, the OWI or OW II would be great, 2" dome or 4" inch cone. see we do agree.
                            craigk

Comment

I seem to know more about what not to do than what to do. I am not set on a dome mid. It was just an idea. The reason I asked for recommendations is because everytime I try to pick a speaker combo, I'm told its not a good choice. I'm not complaining, I really appreciate all comments. But I feel kind of like I'm throwing darts at a map. I would settle for a tweeter, 4"-6" mid and the 2 Ushers. When I look through all the speaker projects, I dont really see any rhyme or reason to the speaker combinations, which I guess thats why they make so many kinds. I know a lot more now than I did 3 months ago, but Im still lost like last years easter eggs!

Comment

Working...
                              X