Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT a little: line-level signal ~50' over RG6 cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT a little: line-level signal ~50' over RG6 cable?

Guys, I'm out of my depth... can someone electronically-gifted advise yea/nay, please?

"Objective" is setting up a 'Zone 2' signal path from one AVR to another in a spare room... both are Denons, termination is via RCAs at both ends.

I've got plenty of RG6 cable, and snap-and-seal style compression connectors... any caveats to simply going point-to-point approximately 50' - 60' using this shielded cable?

Devices run off the same distribution panel/ground, but are on different circuits. I have a decent DMM, and can test chassis-to-cable for stray ground potential prior to hookup... any thoughts on the validity of this approach, or ways to optimize it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Ed

Ed Henderson

Re: OT a little: line-level signal ~50' over RG6 cable?

RG6 will handle megahertz and gigahertz low level signals over runs hundreds of feet long. Kilohertz signals at line level for only 60 feet are a piece of cake. ;)
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thankya, Bill! ...I've read several of your posted thoughts on avoiding/resolving ground-loop issues, and wanted to avoid painting myself into one.

Ed Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by ejh2854 View Post
        Thankya, Bill! ...I've read several of your posted thoughts on avoiding/resolving ground-loop issues, and wanted to avoid painting myself into one.
        That has nothing to do with the cable used. But if you do get a loop try leaving the shield disconnected at the send end connector. If that doesn't work then you'll need to transformer isolate.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I used to install cable. My max distance for cable tv, phone, or internet was 300ft. using RG6. Granted this is a different frequency band, but it gives you an idea anyway. I assume 50ft shouldnt be a problem

Comment

Thanks guys!
            Ed Henderson

Comment

Working...
            X