RasPi gets new audio card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RasPi gets new audio card

finally we can do high-rez audio on the Raspberry Pi!
    $33 card.

excerpt:
    The audio card supports up to a 192kHz sample rate and 8 channel input. The board's inputs include S/PDIF in/out, a 3.5mm headset jack, microphones for direct audio capture, and standard line in and out jacks.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21067...ors_picks=true

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Re: RasPi gets new audio card

Saweeet...glad I didn't buy a DAC yet...

Here's the direct link by the way...
    http://www.element14.com/community/d...on-audio-space

Comment

what is a raspi? another form of dsp? sorry seen the name a few times, but never really looked into it.

Comment

Originally posted by kanemack View Post
        what is a raspi? another form of dsp? sorry seen the name a few times, but never really looked into it.
        Sorry, should have spelled it out: Raspberry Pi -- $35 credit card sized computer that runs Linux.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Doesn't look to be in the same league as a good external DAC, but probably far better than the onboard audio. Likely good enough for anybody currently using an HTPC, tablet, or laptop as a source.

This is good news for Pi fans, though I still think there are better platforms out there for anyone starting from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
            Sorry, should have spelled it out: Raspberry Pi -- $35 credit card sized computer that runs Linux.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/
            interesting. besides media center use, what is everyone around here using it for?

Comment

It has hardware video decoding, so you can use it as an XBMC client if you're not too concerned about the GUI performance. Although the various groups have done quite a job optimizing this. While it's not exactly "fast", it's usable for casual navigation and the like. Some of the more advanced stuff is just asking too much of the little CPU though. Nothing to be done about that.

It has plenty of brawn to be a Squeezebox clone or the like.

Caveats:
              - On-board audio is not very good unless you're using HDMI.
              - The USB implementation is pretty bad, resulting in not-so-hot performance and occasional device incompatibility.
              - Ethernet connects through USB, so performance isn't stellar, but often good enough.
              - Ethernet and USB ports are on the same bus, so it's particularly ill-suited as a NAS. (But it can be done, and often is.)

Comment

http://volumio.org/

Comment

I'm just posting to grumble....
                  grrrrr

will i live long enough to see a squeeze replacement of evolutionary caliber, a real network player, off the shelf, at less than the cost of a new car?
                  looking doubtful...
                  ~99%
                  Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
                  Make me a poster of an old rodeo
                  Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
                  To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Yeah, no kidding huh? It seems like such a basic request, and yet it never happens. At least not without a ton of vendor lock-in.

Comment

The cheapest one I have seen is:
                      http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html
                      My Statement monitors
                      My Piccolatas
                      My LM3886 amp

Comment

Awesome, thanks Don!

Comment

Is anyone using the BeagleBone as a music server? Just wondering if that is a better way to go than the RaspPi.

I echo the comments above regarding the inexplicable commercial unavailability of an off-the-shelf music player (i.e., that isn't itself a laptop or an iTunes device).

Comment

Originally posted by SirNickity View Post
                            Doesn't look to be in the same league as a good external DAC, but probably far better than the onboard audio. Likely good enough for anybody currently using an HTPC, tablet, or laptop as a source.

This is good news for Pi fans, though I still think there are better platforms out there for anyone starting from scratch.
                            I don't think their intent is targeting the true audiophile market according to the article.

Comment

ok so i have been doing all of this for a long time. why do we reinvent the wheel? i'm not trying to be obtuse(but i could be), but HTPC's do all of this and a lot more. i have done a little research on this setup, and it seems just be a way to do the same thing. now stating that i do have better access to pc's and parts, more than most. and by access i mean free. with the new-er micro cases and boards, is this just to save on cost, or is there a real advantage to this system?

just wondering if there is something i missed.

Comment

Working...
                              X