OT: Weather...... or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Weather...... or not.

I just came in from playing basketball, wearing a T-Shirt. It's 60 degrees out right now.

Tomorrow we are supposed to get 6-7 inches of snow and by evening we will have below Zero windchill temps.

It's just insane.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Re: OT: Weather...... or not.

50 here today and they are calling for 5-10" tonight/tomorrow. I just changed jobs so now I have an hour commute towards Chicago to deal with :(
    Craig

Comment

Think they said it got close to 80 here an now they are calling for snow tommorrow morning!

Comment

Welcome to real life lesson on thermal dynamic on a global scale. Entropy run amok... otherwise known as climate change, formally known as global warming (cuz some folks take the name too literally). I think it should be called crazy weather. Stop the green house gasses cuz it'll make the weather crazy! Well... not really. Planet is just trying to find a new equilibrium. But, you can't get to another steady state when the variables keep changing!

Comment

Originally posted by mintos View Post
          Welcome to real life lesson on thermal dynamic on a global scale. Entropy run amok... otherwise known as climate change, formally known as global warming (cuz some folks take the name too literally). I think it should be called crazy weather. Stop the green house gasses cuz it'll make the weather crazy! Well... not really. Planet is just trying to find a new equilibrium. But, you can't get to another steady state when the variables keep changing!
          There's nothing more freaky going on now than when I was a kid. This stuff happens all the time at this time of year. It's called seasons.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

There's nothing more freaky going on now than when I was a kid. This stuff happens all the time at this time of year. It's called seasons.
            Perhaps it depends on where you live. In the last few years, I've seen record rain fall, record snow fall and mixed with a little drought in between.

I spent today at the park in a t-shirt and tomorrow, I'll be shoveling snow. In that one example, that has happened before, but not very often.

Comment

When a huge storm hit in the mid 80's in MN, I remember sweating in the heat/humidity, standing on the deck and watching storm clouds roll in. They were rolling in fast. As I stood there, the wind direction changed. I could feel the atmospheric pressure change. The wind also became very intense and was very cold. It was really scary how drastic it was. Going from sweating in humid heat, to shivering in cool breeze was unsettling. I could see a white wall of heavy rain coming towards the house. The second the rain hit, the back yard was flooded. It was instant. Any place water could run looked like mini grand canyons. The damage was incredible.

I remember 9 mile creek the next day went from a little creek you could walk through, to a raging river deep enough to swim in, and really wide.

I don't miss the danger, but I do miss the drama a little. The weather in CA is nice, but rather boring in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                I just came in from playing basketball, wearing a T-Shirt. It's 60 degrees out right now.

Tomorrow we are supposed to get 6-7 inches of snow and by evening we will have below Zero windchill temps.

It's just insane.
                Same here...
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Scattered rain and high of 81 predicted for today...down to 40 Thursday night...brutal...back around 80 for the weekend. I think I'll be doing some cabinet finishing pool-side :p Might be the last cold front of the year for central Florida.

Comment

It's just insane.
                    Yep, ran without a hat and gloves last night with a lightweight long-sleeve dry-fit shirt on. Had to roll the sleeves up a couple miles into my run.

And forget windchills, we are supposed to have temps below zero tomorrow night and 50 degrees on Friday.

This morning... I normally like to wait until daylight until driving so I can see better, but I knew if I waited that long, I wouldn't make it in to work. The roads were already treacherous at 6:30 this morning, but I'm sure they're worse now. Thankfully I only have a 5 mile commute.

The power has been flickering on and off several times this morning. One of the cool things is watching the banks of lights in the office area alternate as the individual phases go on and off.

Comment

I recall the 10 inches of snow we got 2nd week of April in Chicago around the mid 1970's. Newsweek was predicting another ice age for around this time. Would be interesting if Indians kept accurate weather records.
                      Here's a neat web site.You can click to grab and rotate or scroll to make it larger and smaller. Click on 'Earth' and a menu pops up and you can pick different altitudes 10hPa= about 85,000 feet. You can also watch the ocean currents.
                      http://earth.nullschool.net/#current...1.65,50.26,886
                      I've watched it upstairs in our main theater (22ft screen) whilst listening to 'Dark Side of the Moon'.

Rich

Comment

It's amazing how so many people ignore history, and think if it hasn't happened while they were alive, it's never happened at all. Like Pete said, it's all happened before, up and down, throughout the ages. To think otherwise take a special kind of ignorance. Of course climate change exists. It has since the beginning of time.
                        My projects
                        https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

Early or late, the spring thaw is always an amazing time of year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW_OB8HJSGI

Comment

Originally posted by ckmoore View Post
                            It's amazing how so many people ignore history, and think if it hasn't happened while they were alive, it's never happened at all. Like Pete said, it's all happened before, up and down, throughout the ages. To think otherwise take a special kind of ignorance. Of course climate change exists. It has since the beginning of time.
                            What history are you referring to? The US has only been keeping weather records for over 100 years. We were in a mini ice age during the founding of this country. What type of ignorance do I have to notice records being broken a lot over the last 20 years?

Seriously, the absolute one thought mind on this forum sometimes. You honestly think you are so correct on this one subject that many scientist in the field who spend their entire life on the matter, doesn't really know the cause of the current weather changes.

Comment

It's just insane.
                              Warmer days are coming.

Vernal Equinox is next week Thursday March 20 at 16:47 GMT.

I am looking forward to getting out on my new bike. I stopped riding bicycles in my early teens several decades ago, and have largely treated exercise very nearly as an anathema for most of my adult life, so this should be both "interesting" and long over due.

;-)
                              "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                              of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                              - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                              A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                              (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Working...
                              X