Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finalist's complete w/ Stands

ADDED MORE PICS! (xover)

Saturday was a decently warm day so Kanemack and I decided to get a little painting done. It went very easily and I really like the way it turned out (a lot more than I thought I would). The stands are pretty awesome and sturdy. I haven't even glued the top half together yet and it's holding like a champ. This is the silver rustoleum hammered paint in a 1 quart can with a roller. I'm surprised how even it layered itself and didn't make a bunch of streaks or anything. The stands are the same size as the base of the finalists double laminated 3/4 MDF glued, screwed and epoxied. It used a 3" ID thick wall PVC piping for support in the front and back. It's wrapped with Part's express vinyl black textured wrap. That wrap is pretty sweet. It has a minor smooth texture.

If I can offer any suggestions if you paint this with a roller do it quickly and put it on thick because it will start to get very sticky and can pull off the material on the roller or change the texture......luckily we actually used a TEST PIECE and figured this out before hand! This is my first painted speaker, I have wrapped the Tarkus/armadillo and they look pretty dang good! I need to try a gloss paint job and try my hand in some veneering next.

Anyway here come the pic's! Still need to paint the stands. I'm ok with them just primed but the wife likes red and she was on board with me putting these our living room so I'm gonna make her happy and paint them red!

Here they are in their natural habitat.

Last edited by Mike220; 03-19-2014, 08:52 PM. Reason: Added more pic's
    My Build Thread's
    Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Re: Finalist's complete w/ Stands

Wow, great results! Love the stands and how nice to have your spouse get to choose the color. I know some women that wouldn't "allow" speakers like that in the room. I'm sure your impressions on the SQ are equally great. I might have went with the Finalist if they had been out when I started on the Statement Monitor build with bungalow_ed.

John A.
    "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
    Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
    Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
    Pioneer TX-9500 II
    Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
    Statement Monitors
    Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
    Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
    Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

She always said that she doesn't care about speakers and doesn't need them......but when I met her in 2006 I've always had a big setup. We moved in together shortly after and she has had my stuff to listen to all these years. Last weekend I took the finalists to Kanemack's to sand and prime them and normally I put in my ole faithful's (tritrix!) for a substitution but I decided I'll let her suffer a few days listening to the stock Panasonic lcd tv speakers LMAO! As soon as I got home she said "you need to finish those speakers now I can't hear what anyone is saying." Perhap's I got lucky but she doesn't really give me grief about the speakers even in bare MDF. Even if she resisted putting the finalists in the living room; she can't pick them up so if I was to move them there she couldn't remove them!

The moral of the story is whenever you need to work on speaker stuff remove your gear and leave just the tv speakers work it's terrible sound magic on your wife and she will make your speaker project a priority!
      My Build Thread's
      Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post

The moral of the story is whenever you need to work on speaker stuff remove your gear and leave just the tv speakers work it's terrible sound magic on your wife and she will make your speaker project a priority!

imagine my poor wife. nothing to listen to but bose systems everywhere she goes. thank god i built her a sprite.

wait i think i messed up my son's whole thing, because i built logan the fushion 4's and now she hijacks his setup.:p

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
          She always said that she doesn't care about speakers and doesn't need them......but when I met her in 2006 I've always had a big setup. We moved in together shortly after and she has had my stuff to listen to all these years. Last weekend I took the finalists to Kanemack's to sand and prime them and normally I put in my ole faithful's (tritrix!) for a substitution but I decided I'll let her suffer a few days listening to the stock Panasonic lcd tv speakers LMAO! As soon as I got home she said "you need to finish those speakers now I can't hear what anyone is saying." Perhap's I got lucky but she doesn't really give me grief about the speakers even in bare MDF. Even if she resisted putting the finalists in the living room; she can't pick them up so if I was to move them there she couldn't remove them!

I did the exact same thing to my fiance with the TV in our bedroom. She kept asking, "Why does it sound so terrible? I can't hear anything but it still seems really loud at the same time."
          -Kerry

Comment

Nice! I'm going to go with Black Hammered for the Digger 8, possibly by this weekend. I'm using small foam rollers, as I used a brush with Silver Hammeed on my Hitmakers and the finish was not so good. It was also cold when I applied it. I'll take any and all advice you can offer with that paint.

Love to hear these too. Didn't realize they were such good size!

Comment

Thanks, they are kinda big, I prolly should have went with floorstanding speakers lol, with the stands they are pretty huge!

I think I would try an foam roller vs the nap (spelling?) due to the stickiness of the paint. We used this primer/bin/shellac http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser-1...0904/100398380 . It covered well and dried fast. We did all our bondo and sanding before priming so I barely touched the primer. When your free let me know we live close enough to have a listen just bring something you want to listen too. I don't have much for music upstairs.

The biggest tip I can give for the paint is to work the paint into roller initially very well. Then work quickly to get the cab painted and once the cab is painted fix the runs on all 90 degree corners (basically the roller squeezes out when you go over the corner and leaves some extra). If you get the cab painted very quickly enough it will not become sticky and you can take care of the runs. If it becomes sticky and you see little strings (like a hot glue gun when pulling away) then just stop your going to make it worse! So if you notice any imperfections after they are sitting just resist any temptation to go for another roll to "fix" the problem it will only make it worse. Wait until it dry's a few days and then touch it up, or sand and repaint that side, or if it's small you can use your finger to smash it down while it's soft (it takes 2-3 days to become hard).

Added 2 more pics of xover
              Last edited by Mike220; 03-19-2014, 08:54 PM.
              My Build Thread's

Comment

Looks great man. You running the mid in open back config? Did you test open and closed?

Comment

I opted to do the open back mid port only. That was the reason i picked this build. In retrospect i should have done the switch and plug just to see the difference (and by see i mean hear ). I plan to do an open baffle next and see how I like them.
                  My Build Thread's

Comment

Another build planned already - I like your style :D

Comment

haha, a buddy wanted my tritrix something fierce so I let them go to him. I have 1 pair left but I was wanting to mate these tarkus with a surround speaker (smaller one) to round out my 5 channel setup and try the sunflower redux. I really like the dipole style sound where they sort of fill the room and you don't need to be "in the sweet spot" as much. I haven't built something that I didn't love and I am getting better at making cleaner xover's and finishing so why not do another! Kanemack/Travis is a routersmith so the cutouts/cabs are always great!
                      My Build Thread's

Comment

Hey mike , made some Monitor Staments kinda look like the speakers
                        You have in the background
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	769.0 KB
ID:	1157329

Comment

Awesome dude! I see we have the same subs aswell! I still need to pic a color and finish them mine. Im experimenting with a 15" passive on one of them in a 2cf cab. Maybe the weight of my finalists on the sub cabs would stop them from moving around!

Im interested in hearing the monitors to compare. I really wanted to try a ribbon out!

Also that slanted cabinet design always looks like the top have is pointed downward its a cool optical illusion.
                          My Build Thread's

Comment

Working...
                          X