Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaker wire quality.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Speaker wire quality.

    Is there a real difference in wire quality? Is it something we can hear?
    I'm looking at JSC Wire 14 AWG Red/Black Zip Power Speaker Wire for putting my X over together instead of Wired Home SKRL-16-50 16 AWG OFC Speaker Wire.

    Is there a better or best wire to use?
    In my former life, wire can make a difference IF it is a long run. 2000+ feet or so. (pulled many miles of wire back in the old days) A speaker wire run of 25 feet or more I'd use 14 ga instead of 16 ga good copper.
    But for a few inches? Does it matter?

    G
    Getting better!:D

  • #2
    Re: Speaker wire quality.

    There are speaker wire charts* that clarify:
    If you are inclined to run at low impedance/high power, adjust the gauge accordingly.
    As a SOP ( using circular mils and voltage drop ) I like to keep wire loss as low as possible.

    * Examples
    http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/..._300/2521/7034
    http://www.belden.com/docs/images/Bl...ce-Chart_1.jpg
    http://www.crownaudio.com/line-loss.htm
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Speaker wire quality.

      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the quality of the speaker wire"

      Totally joking :p. Barring the fact that the wire isn't too thin, I don't put any stock in speaker wire (at all) to effect the sound quality of my system, good or bad.

      That said, I'm pretty sure I know where this thread is heading...

      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
      "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Speaker wire quality.

        Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
        "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the quality of the speaker wire"

        Totally joking :p. Barring the fact that the wire isn't too thin, I don't put any stock in speaker wire (at all) to effect the sound quality of my system, good or bad.

        That said, I'm pretty sure I know where this thread is heading...

        it will be there...soon.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Speaker wire quality.

          No one on this forum is going to put much stock in to speaker wire, BUT if your wire is showing and not in-wall, you can DIY some cool options.

          http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/Lo...peaker-Cables/

          You can also buy thick extension cords (3 prong w/ground) and cut it in half and remove the outer jacket for some cheap quality copper wire.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Speaker wire quality.

            Originally posted by garychelette View Post
            Is there a real difference in wire quality? Is it something we can hear?
            No. Use pure copper conductor wire of adequate gauge, the least expensive you can find. You won't be able to hear the difference with anything more expensive...unless you want to.
            Use this to determine gauge requirement:
            http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/spe...rassistant.swf
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Speaker wire quality.

              #20 is actually fine for almost any DIY cab internally. MAYBE you could justify #18 in a big floorstander with a long (3'-5') run to a high power, low Z (4 ohm) driver.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Speaker wire quality.

                Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                No. Use pure copper conductor wire of adequate gauge, the least expensive you can find. You won't be able to hear the difference with anything more expensive...unless you want to.
                Use this to determine gauge requirement:
                http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/spe...rassistant.swf
                I got my answer!
                Thanks guys!


                G
                Getting better!:D

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Speaker wire quality.

                  I know that speaker cable resistance can affect the calculated damping factor of the amp, with a larger effect as load impedance decreases or amplifier output impedance increases, so a debate about speaker wire size is really more like a debate about the audibility of small changes to damping factor.

                  I use some 14AWG Dayton Audio speaker cables at home, and I'm pretty well covered. But I like them more for their good quality connectors and nice-looking sleeving than any sonic effects. I think good cable designs for audio should be durable, functional, and nice-looking.
                  Best Regards,

                  Rory Buszka
                  Product Manager, Dayton Audio

                  The best way to predict the future is to create it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Speaker wire quality.

                    Heresy! (And I don't mean Paul Klipsch's) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Speaker wire quality.

                      Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      a debate about speaker wire size is really more like a debate about the audibility of small changes to damping factor.
                      As to that:
                      http://www.diyspeakers.net/Articles/...G%20FACTOR.pdf
                      www.billfitzmaurice.com
                      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Speaker wire quality.

                        Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                        Did I mention that I'm also terrible at math!
                        Getting better!:D

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Speaker wire quality.

                          Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                          I know that speaker cable resistance can affect the calculated damping factor of the amp, with a larger effect as load impedance decreases or amplifier output impedance increases, so a debate about speaker wire size is really more like a debate about the audibility of small changes to damping factor.

                          I use some 14AWG Dayton Audio speaker cables at home, and I'm pretty well covered. But I like them more for their good quality connectors and nice-looking sleeving than any sonic effects. I think good cable designs for audio should be durable, functional, and nice-looking.
                          It's kinda ironic that we discuss the effects of 2' of hook-up wire while we never really discuss the effects of 200' of wire in the crossover inductors.......
                          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Speaker wire quality.

                            I am almost embarassed to ask, and I don't know that I would ever actually consider doing this, but is there ever a time/place when one might use solid core (i.e., electrical) copper wire instead of stranded copper wire in a speaker application?

                            If so, are there any benefits of solid?

                            If so, are there any benefits of stranded?
                            Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Speaker wire quality.

                              Although it probably doesn't matter, watch what you buy. I recently bought some RCA brand "speaker wire" at Lowes because I needed it quickly. It turned out to be copper coated aluminum (CCA). So if the description simply says "speaker wire" don't assume that it is copper. Make sure the description specifically says "copper", or better yet "OFC copper". Like I said, I doubt it makes much difference, but its a matter of principle - speaker wire should be COPPER - not aluminium.

                              I do like having different colors to make wiring easier to identify. I use four conductor in-wall wire to give me four colors to chose from. Unfortunately, PE doesn't have four conductor 18 ga wire, so I got some at Monoprice. (It specifically says OFC Copper.)

                              -Bob
                              -Bob

                              The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                              My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                              The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X