Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting Products w/ HDMI Output to Amplifiers or Active Crossovers w/o HDMI Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Products w/ HDMI Output to Amplifiers or Active Crossovers w/o HDMI Input

Is there a recommended way of connecting a product w/ HDMI output (such as a Blue Ray Disk Player) to an amplifier or active crossover that does not have an HDMI input?

For example, lets assume you wanted to use a late model Blue Ray disk player only for audio, and wanted to connect that to other audio components?

Ideas?

Is this just more foolishness?
    Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Re: Connecting Products w/ HDMI Output to Amplifiers or Active Crossovers w/o HDMI In

You could use an HDMI switcher box w audio breakout.
    or more simply a HDMI To 3-rca Video Component Convert Cable
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Re: Connecting Products w/ HDMI Output to Amplifiers or Active Crossovers w/o HDMI In

Some BDPs have digital outs (my Sony doesn't but my LG does) that got can feed into a DAC or AVR.
      Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
      Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
      Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
      Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
      Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Or, if your late model Blue Ray disc player is connected to a late model TV, most new TVs will take the HDMI input and output Toslink optical, that you can then run to your own DAC or AV receiver, etc... and then run the individual RCA or balanced analog output into your analog active audio system.

Comment

There are also HDMI audio de embedders or extractors. They strip the audio signal from the HDMI, and output to either digital(optical and/or coaxial) or analog(RCA). They typically also have an HDMI pass through so you can still connect an HDMI device further down the chain, like a display or an AVR. I'm using this http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-Pro-HAEC.../dp/B009KAU0WO in my car to take HDMI audio from a tablet and convert it to optical which feeds the MiniDSP 2x8, works great.

Comment

That Kanex adapter is cool. I wonder if I can use that to get pre-outs from my AVR HDMI out to feed an external amp instead of using my AVR's internal amps.
            Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)

Comment

Another option:
              http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
              DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
              The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
              The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
              The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
              AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Sweet. And it's cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by jsr View Post
                  That Kanex adapter is cool. I wonder if I can use that to get pre-outs from my AVR HDMI out to feed an external amp instead of using my AVR's internal amps.
                  Yes, you can.

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
                  I tried the Monoprice device, had some issues, wasn't very stable.

Comment

Thanks for all that info.

Just to confirm my idea:

From my source goes HDMI to AVR HDMI In. Then from AVR use HDMI Out to this converter. HDMI out from conveter to TV and use stereo out of converter to feed external amp.
                    I want t coonfirm that the HDMI Out from the AVR has the post-processed signals o it hs the room correction, filtering, etc. applied. I want to ie the AVR as the processor for the front right and left channels, and as power for other channels.
                    So it will work this way?
                    Thanks.

Comment

HDMI, or any digital out, normally won't have any of the signal processing. It's just pass through, sometimes stripped of multi-channel signal in the case of some spdif (co-ax/optical/toslink) out.

Usually advanced sp like crossover and room correction is only applied to the amplified analog speaker output and usually to analog pre-amp output on avr's with multiple channel pre-out.

If your avr has pre-outs for the left/right front then you might be able to use those as planned without needing an hdmi break out device.

Originally posted by jsr View Post
                      Thanks for all that info.

Just to confirm my idea:

From my source goes HDMI to AVR HDMI In. Then from AVR use HDMI Out to this converter. HDMI out from conveter to TV and use stereo out of converter to feed external amp.
                      I want t coonfirm that the HDMI Out from the AVR has the post-processed signals o it hs the room correction, filtering, etc. applied. I want to ie the AVR as the processor for the front right and left channels, and as power for other channels.
                      So it will work this way?
                      Thanks.
                      ~99%
                      Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
                      Make me a poster of an old rodeo
                      Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
                      To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Unfortunately my AVR doesn't have preouts which was why I was hoping this doohickey would do the trick. It sounds like it would give preouts but without any DSP applied since the doohickey is doing the DAC internally from the digital signal. Darn.

Comment

Working...
                        X