My First Audio Project similar to Boominator Mini

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Audio Project similar to Boominator Mini

I am wanting to follow the original boominator mini design but the Aura NS6 is long gone. I have looked into a bunch of different speakers that could possibly be a replacement but I honestly am not very knowledgable in audio equipment.
    The design calls for:
    Tripath amp
    4x Aura NS6
    4x Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 5/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter
    2x Crossovers
    The speakers would be placed back to back. A picture of the rough design of the boominator is attached. It is not my design but the one I am looking to follow. Click image for larger version

Name:	Boommini.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	1189009

Since the auras are no longer out there I am wondering if any of the speakers I have found would be a good replacement. All are 8 ohm.
    Dayton Audio PA165-8
    Dayton Audio PK165-8
    PRV Audio 6MB200
    Faital Pro 6FE200
    Visaton BG17 (may not need the tweeters)
    Also if you have an idea of the type of crossover I would need for this type of system I would love input.

Re: My First Audio Project similar to Boominator Mini

You may try asking around in the classifieds for the ns6. There are a few floating around.
    Actually, come to think of it I have 4 ns6-8s sitting in my inventory. PM me if you are interested.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

My thought is to search for projects using the ND16FA and another woofer and duplicate that design 4x. I also have 2 of the NS6s that can go.
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Thank y'all for the input!

Comment

So if I have the Aura NS6 and the Dayton ND16FA-6 how would I go about making the crossover?
          Any ideas?

Comment

Do you have a link to the project you mentioned in your first port? They should have a crossover. If not someone has to design one...
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

the full project from design to several incarnations using different speakers can be found at this location http://forum.speakerplans.com/boomin...10_page50.html I have built one of these for my son and it blows away 90% of the similar items you'll find in stores.

Comment

the full project from design to several incarnations using different speakers can be found at this location http://forum.speakerplans.com/boomin...10_page50.html I have built one of these for my son and it blows away 90% of the similar items you'll find in stores. There are several different versions of the crossovers as well depending on what speakers your using. The designer of the boominator also frequents the forum as well and answers a lot of questions.

Comment

This is the picture of the crossover on that thread but I am not sure if it is for these exact speakers or for the newer version.
                  http://forum.speakerplans.com/boomin...610_page4.html
                  Also would I need any resistors or fuses on the system?
                  Thanks

Comment

Yikes that does not look good. I thought there were 4 woofers? Maybe this is the front and rear half. I'll noodle on this and provide a better reply
                    John H

Comment

Oh yes there would be two of those crossovers!
                      Ill make a little diagram soon

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 1.16.36 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1157649
                        Here is what I drew up

Comment

Modeled x-o, looks OK, approaches 2 ohms on high end of FR. Certainly off axis issues but it's a boom box. Have fun.
                          John H

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                            Modeled x-o, looks OK, approaches 2 ohms on high end of FR. Certainly off axis issues but it's a boom box. Have fun.
                            Surely, you have not taken the drivers impedance response into account then. It does not measure below 2.8 ohm any place.

And off-axis response is very very good. It's designed taken all factors into account such as driver response, baffle diffraction, filter response, cabinet vibration and absorption etc etc. It is not a random build.

Comment

Does that look like it should Saturnus? I the x over still the same?
                              Also on a battery do I want 12v or 14v with how many ah. Do I want the most ah possible?

Comment

Working...
                              X