Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

My First Audio Project similar to Boominator Mini

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My First Audio Project similar to Boominator Mini

Originally posted by Saturnus View Post
    Surely, you have not taken the drivers impedance response into account then. It does not measure below 2.8 ohm any place.
    I use the measured driver impedance files from a previous build, certainly the measured result is what matters.

Are your driver pairs front to back or side to side?
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
      I use the measured driver impedance files from a previous build, certainly the measured result is what matters.

Are your driver pairs front to back or side to side?
      The Boominator MINI like the Boominator is a stereo bipolar speaker. The 2 woofers in each separate compartment play the same signal otherwise it would sound and measure really strange. That also means that there is technically a front and back side as only one side will have the right speaker on the right and left speaker on the left. Most people won't notice the difference tough especially since the speakers are so close together relative to the average distance to the listener.

Comment

Originally posted by lindenic000 View Post
        Does that look like it should Saturnus? I the x over still the same?
        Also on a battery do I want 12v or 14v with how many ah. Do I want the most ah possible?
        Yes, the filter is the correct one for NS6 and ND16FA. By a stroke a luck it's also the same for the NS5 speaker but that because the standard values are a little on the high side for one speaker and a little on the low side for the other. With the NS5 speaker the tweeter is 1dB louder than with the NS6 when compared against the woofers (the NS5 has lower sensitivity) but with the NS6 it's around -0.5dB average from "flat response" compared to the woofer and with the NS5 it's +0.5dB average from "flat response" compared to the woofer. So hardly anything that is noticable.

I use the term "flat response" lightly as the speakers is not designed with flat response as a design parameter. That it has relatively flat frequency response anyways is coincidental. The speaker is designed for maximum listening experience and pleasure, and modeled to sound as similar in tonality and musicality to my reference Lowther back loaded horns that the confined space and price point allows.

A standard 12V 7Ah SLA battery should fit (UB1280 size). Or even better, use a 4 cell LiFePO4 12.8V battery. Some comes in standard SLA sizes too like this one http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/lit...placement.aspx I can highly recommend LiFePO4 batteries in general as they are far superior to any other battery type when you look at the full range of specifications. They are also cheaper than any other battery type in existence when you compare life time capacity. For amp I'd recommend the maxamp20 from accusafe.nl but there are other options like TA2020 or TPA3116 based amps. Just be aware than the amp has to be able to handle the 2.8 ohm minimum impedance which TA2021, TA2024 or TPA3110 based amps will not (gracefully at least).

Comment

Thank you so much for the input! I ordered the Maxamp20 yesterday and cannot wait to get this build started!
          I will look into the battery as well.

Comment

Also do you have any input for the kind of speaker grill to use?

Comment

Many opt for fan grills in appropriate sizes. You can get fan grills in sizes that fit the tweeter as well. Otherwise it's a bit of a hit and miss to find some that fits.

Comment

Thank You!
                I was looking back over box dimensions and should each side roughly be .35 ft^3?

Also if I kept the box the exact same but after it was done added on the the outside to make it less boxy would it do anything to the integrity of the sound?
                Last edited by lindenic000; 04-24-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnus View Post

Many opt for fan grills in appropriate sizes. You can get fan grills in sizes that fit the tweeter as well. Otherwise it's a bit of a hit and miss to find some that fits.
                  Pretty cool build regardless of being the original or mini. Ive noticed you have been active on a different forum so I'll put this question out and see if I get a bite..is this basically an isobaric configuration with the drivers back to back? I read something today that mentions having drivers in parallel allow one to basically halve the volume of the enclosure. Out of curiosity I have thrown two full range drivers into WiniSD and it looks like you can model a vented scenario. Have you ever come.across somebody who has built a micro using 3 or 4 inch FR drivers using a similar methodology?

Comment

Originally posted by lindenic000 View Post

Thank You!
                    I was looking back over box dimensions and should each side roughly be .35 ft^3?

Also if I kept the box the exact same but after it was done added on the the outside to make it less boxy would it do anything to the integrity of the sound?
                    Did you build this? I would love to hear how you went..

I realise this is an old thread, hoping folks are still lurking

Comment

Working...
                    X