RS100P-8 Measurement is impressive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS100P-8 Measurement is impressive

A little while back, I remember looking at the spec sheet for the new paper RS100P-8 and thinking to myself... "that looks pretty flat." Today, I just happen to take another look. Holy cow! On-axis, that thing is +/- 1.5 dB from 200Hz all the way past 7,000 Hz. That's fantastic.

I added two orange horizontal lines to the graph below to make it more obvious we're looking at a 3dB window.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dayton RS100P-8 FreqRsp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1189013

Geesh... I need to buy some of these.

Has anybody done distortion testing on these? I have to imagine they would do reasonably well.

The 4 Ohm version measures great too!
    ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
    Sapphos
    Cables (Post #54)
    Other speakers (Post #21)
    Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
    Boundary Augmentation
    Dispersion/Interference

Re: RS100P-8 Measurement is impressive

It looks like it would make a great mid, but it is very small. It's more like a 3" driver than a 4". I've wondered if the small size would make the speaker less dynamic sounding as compared to a larger mid with three or four times the area.

Comment

This is a very nice driver I've been looking at, but the sensitivity is SOOO low :-( Even if used as a mid, you will end up with low 80db speakers I guess.

Comment

The sensetivity is listed as 85, MTM will bring that to 88. I would say not bad. Looks like a candidate for a WWMTM.
        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
          It looks like it would make a great mid, but it is very small. It's more like a 3" driver than a 4". I've wondered if the small size would make the speaker less dynamic sounding as compared to a larger mid with three or four times the area.

I'm thinking about building another set of these, but this time I'd utilize the new RS100P-8:

Name:	1028002325-b.jpg
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	1157633

I've listened to these for about 3 years now and never had any concerns with regard to dynamics... and the RS100P's are built even better. (Lower distortion motor, higher x-max, smoother freq. response, etc etc)

Like many of you, I just need to finish the projects I'm currently working on before starting another build.

When I finally get around to these... I'd repeat the "subwoofer-pedestal" that I did last time too. That worked out wonderfully. (with a 250 Watt Dayton amp, down-firing 12" sub under each of these.) The receiver sends everything over 80Hz to the upper cabinet while the sub handles the deep stuff. Very clean sounding, even at high SPL's. Ohhh yea, using the RS100P is going to be fun!

Name:	1027001433b.jpg
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	1157635
          ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
          Sapphos
          Cables (Post #54)
          Boundary Augmentation
          Dispersion/Interference

Comment

It would be far more useful as a midrange as stated. 85dB with mediocre power handling, I am sure thermal compression would set in quick since the RS motors are not vented very well..... For the price of two you can get a far better built, reasonably and equally flat driver through the non-piston band (Great it is flat to 7K though I would not want to use it there). I think it is like the other reference drivers: An option in its price range. I would consider it an option to a ribbon, crossed 1st order at about 4K and a ribbon or small dome at about 10-12K or so on a time aligned baffle.

Comment

Yes, but price of 4 drivers per speakers brings much more competitors to the game and I am not sure this nice driver will stand agains them :-)

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
                It would be far more useful as a midrange as stated.
                I agree 100%. I plan to use it from about 100Hz up to 2000Hz, where a RS28-F will take over. I was merely pointing out the nice +/- 1.5dB freq response up to 7kHz. Too many drivers exhibit +/-8dB these days.

For the price of two you can get a far better built, reasonably and equally flat driver through the non-piston band
                1. one

Great it is flat to 7K though I would not want to use it there.
                For those inclined, this would make a relatively inexpensive, full-range (approx 15kHz) computer speaker. Only requiring minor (if any) filter adjustments up near 10kHz. Sure we have several of those designs already, but this driver would be a good substitution, no?
                ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                Sapphos
                Cables (Post #54)
                Boundary Augmentation
                Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Originally posted by RBG View Post
                  Yes, but price of 4 drivers per speakers brings much more competitors to the game and I am not sure this nice driver will stand agains them :-)
                  I want to make sure I understand your comment... are you stating it would be better to purchase two "higher quality" drivers per cabinet instead of four RS100P's per cabinet? Ok, I respect your point of view. Do you have a few suggestions for me to investigate?
                  ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                  Sapphos
                  Cables (Post #54)
                  Boundary Augmentation
                  Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Very true. I wasn't comparing them against others at this point. Just on their own merits.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I am not suggesting anything and can be absolutely wrong :-). Just some thoughts. I was always thinking so a speaker as of something with 88-99db and 8ohm nominal :-) Not easy to make, I know :-). Don't get me wrong, apart from sensitivity these drivers look so good!

Comment

Originally posted by RBG View Post
                        I am not suggesting anything and can be absolutely wrong :-). Just some thoughts. I was always thinking so a speaker as of something with 88-99db and 8ohm nominal :-) Not easy to make, I know :-). Don't get me wrong, apart from sensitivity these drivers look so good!
                        Many speakers with full, or close to full BSC tend to be around 85 dB anyway, so I think its sensitivity is fine for use with an 89 dB woofer. I would probably cross it at 400 hz.

Comment

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
                          I agree 100%. I plan to use it from about 100Hz up to 2000Hz, where a RS28-F will take over. I was merely pointing out the nice +/- 1.5dB freq response up to 7kHz. Too many drivers exhibit +/-8dB these days.

In that price range, and working fq range the world is your oyster. Seas, Fountek, TB, SB, among others all make very nice 4"-5" drivers I would use. In fact using a driver capable of that range, I would look bigger anyway for more surface area since 100Hz is pretty low. Remember: Flat FQ is only one part of the very tiny equation. At volume, the ref series compresses quickly and badly since the motor is not vented well. I have used, in multiple designs including one that is about to be published soon, many of the RS series. Also, their distortion perfromance while very good, is not in the range of more costly drivers of the same size. With a high-ish Qes, I woudl wonder about the dynamic capability and control.

Take all of this with a grain of salt. Like the rest of the RS line I am sure it is a great performer, but there is a lot given up in the RS series to get very specific aspects of performance for their target price. I am more playing devil's advocate just trying to get you to flex your mental muscle around other things than frequency response. I will eventually use the paper RS. Just don't have a need for them.....yet.

EDIT: thinking even more about it, They will also be SUPER easy to work with so unless there is something MAJOR designed wrong, it would be very hard to get anything less that very good sound.

Comment

In that price range, and working fq range the world is your oyster. Seas, Fountek, TB, SB, among others all make very nice 4"-5" drivers I would use.
                            EDIT: thinking even more about it, They will also be SUPER easy to work with so unless there is something MAJOR designed wrong, it would be very hard to get anything less that very good sound.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. I've been building speakers for many years... and while I have learned quite a bit, I'm always learning new details from people here on Techtalk forum. Thanks again for taking the time to explain some of your thoughts.
                            ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                            Sapphos
                            Cables (Post #54)
                            Boundary Augmentation
                            Dispersion/Interference

Comment

...... EDIT: thinking even more about it, They will also be SUPER easy to work with so unless there is something MAJOR designed wrong, it would be very hard to get anything less that very good sound.

I concur. This was actually the main point I was trying to get across in my very first post. Take a look at this comparison graph of the RS100P-8 next to the HiVi B4N that is used in the overnight sensations. ***(I had to stretch the aspect ratio of the top graph so that we could make a fair comparison. I also removed the 15 degree and 45 degree lines from the bottom graph for clarity. These graphs show on-axis and 30 degrees off-axis FR.)

Name:	RS100P-8 VS HiVi-B4N.jpg
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	1157645

Can you imagine if Paul had started his OS design with the lower graph instead of battling the wild cone breakup and resonances of the HiVi driver in the upper graph? Despite the Freq Response anomalies inherent in the B4N, Paul was still able to achieve great results...... but I bet it wasn't easy. He is far more skilled than the average DIY speaker builder. IMO, the average DIYer would have an easier time working with the RS100P.

Maybe someday I'll swap out the B4N with a RS100P-8 just for kicks. With a few XO tweaks, hey, you never know. To be fair we should note the B4N sells for about $15 while the RS100P-8 sells for about $33.
                              ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                              Sapphos
                              Cables (Post #54)
                              Boundary Augmentation
                              Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Working...
                              X