Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3way design advice/crossover help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

    Originally posted by musica14 View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]46453[/ATTACH]I really do appreciate all the help guys.
    here are a few pics of what im working on.
    Oh, well you are a ways down the road. No need to think about wholesale changes of drivers and plans at this point.

    Getting omnimic or ARTA and a suitable mic and taking measurements of your drivers in the box is the best way to model a crossover using actual data. The alternative is modelling using the mfr published data, and then massaging it from there. Read the speaker building bible at the top of the page as well as the users guide for the various design tools hosted at Charlie Laub's site. It is doable, but to do it right will be a big investment of effort. Many here (who know far more than I) are very willing to help.
    Loren Jones

    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

      would the Dayton Audio RS270-8
      be a good match with:
      usher 9950 and vifa ne 180w?

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

        Originally posted by musica14 View Post
        would the Dayton Audio RS270-8
        be a good match with:
        usher 9950 and vifa ne 180w?
        I think the box may be too small at 3 cu-ft.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

          You will learn a lot by looking at what commercial companies do. I reverse engineered
          the PSB Stratus Gold many, many years ago:
          http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/704
          as documented here, the crossover is shown in post #7:
          http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post3393485

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

            The RS line is a good choice. Sealed or ported? For a 3-way design that I haven't got past the modelling stage yet, I'm looking at the SB29NRX75-6. Tapered response gets a head start on BSC. Good for around 1 cf sealed or 2 cf ported. The latter getting deep into the 20's.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

              Here's one to look into.
              http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-woofer-8-ohm/

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

                Originally posted by ngjockey View Post
                The RS line is a good choice. Sealed or ported? For a 3-way design that I haven't got past the modelling stage yet, I'm looking at the SB29NRX75-6. Tapered response gets a head start on BSC. Good for around 1 cf sealed or 2 cf ported. The latter getting deep into the 20's.
                I have thought of those same drivers.
                am looking at the Scanspeak Discovery 26W/8534G also.

                if I did the Dayton would go sealed just don't know if it will go low enough that way.

                what do you think ported or sealed?
                speakers are strictly musical.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

                  For myself, with a driver that size and capability, sealed. Less to go wrong and good in-room response. Also, size. For the occasional dino stomp, there's always the option of subs.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

                    Originally posted by ngjockey View Post
                    For myself, with a driver that size and capability, sealed. Less to go wrong and good in-room response. Also, size. For the occasional dino stomp, there's always the option of subs.
                    I have always loved the sound of sealed woofers.
                    however really love the Wilson Sophia 3 speakers and they are ported.
                    really want to make a pair modeled after them or sasha or alexia.
                    very beautiful sounding and looking.
                    I have a pair b&w 604 s3 and they are very nice sounding speakers when I took a look inside
                    they are pretty basic cabinets and crossovers.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

                      vifa NE265, on sale here, prob the best bargain at this moment

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

                        Originally posted by henry218 View Post
                        vifa NE265, on sale here, prob the best bargain at this moment
                        will this subwoofer work well in a 3way speaker?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

                          although it was misleading to label it as subwoofer, its basically a woofer,

                          i think its the cheapest world class neodymium woofer, its made in china though, if thats a problem for you

                          here's a sim for 2 x 10" in vented cabinet
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

                            here is in sealed, on the same box, GREY is vented.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

                              i have not heard this, but this is a modern design of Vifa, looks really really good on paper and it looks really good physically so.. if I'm building reference 3way this would be my shortlist

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

                                Originally posted by henry218 View Post
                                i have not heard this, but this is a modern design of Vifa, looks really really good on paper and it looks really good physically so.. if I'm building reference 3way this would be my shortlist
                                am already using the vifa ne 180w, so I think that woofer be be perfect.
                                what would you cross this over at?

                                using usher 9950 tweeter

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X