3way design advice/crossover help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• musica14
    started a topic 3way design advice/crossover help!

3way design advice/crossover help!

looking for advice and opinions on a 3way speaker im building.
    I am using the
    usher 9950 tweeters 8 ohm
    vifa ne 180w mids 8 ohm

looking for some crossover recommendations, and a good suggestion for a 10" woofer to go with these.

was also thinking of doing maybe 2 - 8" instead of 10"

any advice and suggestion are appreciated.
    thanks

woofer can be up to 3.0 ft3 enclosure.
    these will be purely musical speakers.

• ReissM
    replied
    Re: 3way design advice/crossover help!

Originally posted by ngjockey View Post
    Build the cabinets. Install the drivers. Buy an Omnimic and DATS (or something like that) and do some individual measurements. Export those to PCD7 or WinPCD, Figure out the offsets and let the drivers tell you what crossovers they want. They don't always bend to your ideas too well. Two words: Phase tracking.
    I second these suggestions! In about a year, you'll realize that this is REALLY good advice... and your best chance for success.

As a side note, it looks as though you built the bass enclosure before picking the woofer. Typically it's done the other way around. You first pick the woofer and then build an enclosure that is optimized for that woofer. (volume of air, sealed/ported, etc...)

OK, don't get all worried... It's still possible to get good bass, but you now have to find a woofer that will perform well in your exact box, and ignore all of the other good woofers out there.

This is a fun hobby and once you get started, you'll be hooked. Every design of yours will get a bit more sophisticated as you learn more and more. Best of luck to you. Keep asking questions and have a blast!

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

Well the first thing you are going to hear, is that neither of those crossovers are correct. An off-the-shelf unit does not take into account a myriad of parameters and makes assumptions of the drivers that are just not correct. For instance, the crossover assumes the drivers are a static load ie 8ohm when in reality the impedance varies with freq. They do not take into account phase, baffle step, or level matching between the drivers.

So changing the crossover for one stock unit for another WILL give a different sound but not really better. Better would be to save the expense and have a properly done crossover designed. The difference then will be night and day and will definitely be better.

Chris, I had a feeling that as I typed thus out, you would beat me to the punch. Lol

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied

Here's the deal.

More than 99% of the time, the "stock" (pre-manufactured w/no specific drivers in mind) crossovers will not work anyway like you'd want them to. In SOME cases a driver will actually sound better than it will with one of those XOs attached.

What drivers are currently in your speakers? What's the box like? Did you design it?

Leave a comment:

• Shakey
    replied

I am using the Dayton Audio XO3W-375/3K 3-Way Speaker Crossover in my speakers currently. But I was wondering if a crossover with higher crossover points like the Dayton Audio XO3W-700/5.6K 3-Way Speaker Crossover would sound better in my speakers. I quess the question is What is the general difference in sound between a crossover with lower crossover points from one with higher crossover points? My quess is the lower the crossover points, the lower the speaker frequency will sound????

Leave a comment:

• ngjockey
    replied

Build the cabinets. Install the drivers. Buy an Omnimic and DATS (or something like that) and do some individual measurements. Export those to PCD7 or WinPCD, Figure out the offsets and let the drivers tell you what crossovers they want. They don't always bend to your ideas too well. Two words: Phase tracking.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

:rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied

"Slopes" aren't talked about or utilized that way anymore. That was the old "textbook" way of doing things.

Most of the time (at least in DIY) the "electrical order" is 2nd (sometimes 3rd on a tweeter). That, combined with a driver's "natural" rolloff tendencies (on either or both ends) most commonly yield a 4th order "acoustic rolloff slope". It depends how close to the drivers' natural rolloff you're trying to cross it, and what the drivers' impedance profile is doing in that region.

Leave a comment:

• musica14
    replied

2000 hz and 250 hz

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

For what frequency?

Leave a comment:

• musica14
    replied

so you think 3rd order?

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

Originally posted by musica14 View Post
    if using these drivers what would your crossover order suggestion be?
    usher 9950
    vifa ne 180w .58 ft3 ported
    vifa ne 265w 1.08 ft3 ported

all 8 ohms.

Leave a comment:

• musica14
    replied

if using these drivers what would your crossover order suggestion be?
    usher 9950
    vifa ne 180w .58 ft3 ported
    vifa ne 265w 1.08 ft3 ported

all 8 ohms.

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied

Originally posted by musica14 View Post
    I have thought of those same drivers.
    am looking at the Scanspeak Discovery 26W/8534G also.

if I did the Dayton would go sealed just don't know if it will go low enough that way.

what do you think ported or sealed?
    speakers are strictly musical.
    If you look on the PE data sheet, the f3 will be listed for sealed and for ported along with an appropriate box size. If you want sealed, I'd suggest an f3 of 45 hz or lower. For ported, I'd be looking for an f3 in the low thirties.

Leave a comment:

• musica14
    replied

maybe just 2 10" or 2 8" together would be better?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X