Can I build a small 2 way without using a crossover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can I build a small 2 way without using a crossover

Thanks Ben. That is exactly how it was done. Lpad. And crossed at about 3.5k
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
      At least not easily, unless using huge resistor values. Even a piezo should be used with a cap to make it's response more predictable and manageable.

http://frugal-phile.com/piezo-XO.html
      That circuit works, but it's too simple to give a great result. I use a 30 ohm parallel resistor to give a 2nd order Chebyshev filter a resistive load. The high Q filter gives piezos normally rated for 3.5kHz operation a 2kHz usable corner, and since the piezo has its own roll off the combined slope is 3rd order. I also use a 4 ohm resistor in series post-filter with the piezo, to prevent HF instability. Where the series resistor value is concerned, 4 ohm or 40 ohm, the result is the same, it doesn't attenuate the piezo at all.
      Then I guess JRs Cabrini's and the builds I did with them the resistor did nothing? The attenuation wasn't real? I applied an l-pad that brought the piezos level down to better match the woofer. Is this not padding or am I using the wrong terminology?
      I'd have to see the circuit to say what it does.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
        This is an update to an old classic Dynaco speaker, one cap.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...e-classic-a25/
        Thats looks very simple. What will the ohms be using an 8 ohm woofer and an 8 ohm tweeter.
        Iceagle, Im building this project based on woofers I already have....the 5.25" dayton classics that I bought to use as mids in another project I ened up using different mids

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenM View Post
          I was thinking the 3.3 resistor would block the bass.
          You're not thinking about it quite right. Resistors have the same resistance regardless of frequency. But here's where it gets interesting... At low frequencies a capacitor will look like a big resistor... and at high frequencies the cap will look like a very tiny resistor. It's called reactance bro. Think of a capacitor as a variable resistor... one that changes it's resistance depending on the frequencies that you send to it.

Check out the "sticky" links for tons of info on this.

P.S. - Inductors behave the exact opposite. They have very little resistance at low frequencies but present lots of resistance at high frequencies.
          ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
          Sapphos
          Cables (Post #54)
          Other speakers (Post #21)
          Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
          Boundary Augmentation
          Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Out of curiosity I looked at the Frequency response of the Dayton 5.25" classic that you mentioned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dayton Classic 5_25.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	1157907

Running it full range (no filter) might not be the best idea. Take a look at that peak at 3200 Hz. Without some type of filter to tame it a little bit, it might end up a little harsh sounding.

If you don't want to do a full-up optimized XO, just one coil for the woofer, and one cap for the tweeter would at least be a start in the right direction.

Start simple, do some reading, tweak the design a little, listen some more, read some more, tweak again..... etc etc...
            ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
            Sapphos
            Cables (Post #54)
            Other speakers (Post #21)
            Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
            Boundary Augmentation
            Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Subscribed for entertainment value.
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Comment

I was wondering if I can build a small 2 way speaker with this tweeter, ommiting the x over.
                  Why?

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                    Use a piezo tweeter (the 3x7 isn't horrible).
                    Oh yes it is, with a big peak around 5kHz.

Until you modify it, of course. Then it's pretty decent in fact. See attached for its response after modifications (damping applied to the piezo, and the chamber stuffed with polyester fiberfill)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goldwood 3-7 tweeter-mod.png
Views:	2
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	1157930

Problem is overlap in the passband. I think it's best to choose choose a piezo that minimizes that overlap as much as possible. Given that consideration, the 2x5 piezo might be a better bet, and it's more sensitive too, which means there's room to play with padding it down to meet the bass driver's sensitivity. LouC had a design using the Beta 8A and the Goldwood 2x5 piezo that required only resistors for the x-over section.
                    Brian Steele
                    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

That's all great stuff but the OP already stated what drivers he wants to use and I'm willing to go large that he ain't changing those drivers for a Beta-8 and ANY piezo. In fact, he won't change either driver and he won't listen to any advice on a proper XO for the Dayton classics + $0.99 mylar dome buyout tweet.
                      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

I want to build a small all in one Lapai mini amp-speaker kit, since I cant find some cheap ipod speakers. I found a tweeter with a resistor PN 279-001. I was wondering if I can build a small 2 way speaker with this tweeter, ommiting the x over. I already have a pair of small 5.5" dayton woofers
                        Yes.

Comment

Just put them in a box and twist all the red wires together and all the black wires together and hook them up to an amp that you want to burn up.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                          return to the source
                          leviathan system thread
                          deadhorse thread
                          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

What is the point of starting a thread asking for advice only to then ignore all advice offered? Entertaining at least to read.

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                              I'm willing to go large that he ain't changing those drivers for a Beta-8 and ANY piezo.
                              That's because the Beta 8 is "expensive". The OP should be looking for a cheap buyout 5 to 6 inch POLY CONE woofer. Should be on the order of $10-15, and most poly drivers don't have the harsh breakup peak... a response kind of like the Beta 8 on top. Then he can use a 1-capacitor crossover on the tweeter. And if the tweeter resonance shows its ugly head, either hang a 10 ohm in parallel with it or squirt some ferrofluid in the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by J.C Washington View Post
                                What is the point of starting a thread asking for advice only to then ignore all advice offered? Entertaining at least to read.
                                The point is Darren's, and he has done this before- ignore him. He doesn't listen.
                                Later,
                                Wolf
                                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                                X