Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can I build a small 2 way without using a crossover

Originally posted by DarrenM View Post
    I want to build a small all in one Lapai mini amp-speaker kit, since I cant find some cheap ipod speakers. I found a tweeter with a resistor PN 279-001. I was wondering if I can build a small 2 way speaker with this tweeter, ommiting the x over. I already have a pair of small 5.5" dayton woofers
    Short answer- yes you can.
    Long answer- I wouldn't advise it.
    Reasons- tweeter will blow, sound will be lousy, and you may have a low impedance and kill your amp in the process as well.

I don't know why you won't listen to us, Darren.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

see post #6 (24 posts ago)

Comment

I will play along...

Yes, absolutely you can build a 2 way speaker without using a crossover. Here are some of the ways that have not been mentioned yet:

1) One full range driver with a whizzer cone... that is a two way speaker with a mechanical crossover, very popular and very easy.

2) Pick a reasonably full range 4-5 inch driver, buy four of them, mount them on each side of a small, square cross-sectional cabinet. Now add a very thick grill to the two side and one rear firing driver to attenuate the mids and highs while still letting the bass come through... experiment with materials and degree of stuffing or layers, room positioning, etc... until the desired balance of sound at listening position is achieved. For even more fun, turn the speakers sideways and repeat experiments. This works best with a driver that excels at mids and highs and has very rolled off but still present bass.

3) Pick a small but strong full range driver, 3-4 inch, that has a relatively low Fs (under 100 Hz) and decent power handling. Then pick a large woofer, 10-15 inches that has a natural roll off and no peakiness... (like the 10 inch Seas woofer in the project linked to in a previous post). Ideally, all are 8 ohm drivers, so buy four of the small ones and mount as a mini line array above the big woofer, this gives them much better power handling and limited excursion at Fs and below. Experiment with speaker placement and listening position to mitigate lobing from the vertical array of the four full range drivers.

Have fun.

Comment

You guys are missing the point. The OP already has drivers. He wants to use THOSE drivers without a XO and that's exactly what he will do. He'll be back at some point telling us how good they sound and how his Lepai amp is having no trouble driving the load. Welcome to Darren's world.
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

I can live with that.

Comment

i think you should build a 3 way with no x-overs.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Trivilino View Post
                Why?
                because computer speakers dont generally have XOs in them

Comment

Build them.

Report back.
                  Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                    You guys are missing the point. The OP already has drivers. He wants to use THOSE drivers without a XO and that's exactly what he will do. He'll be back at some point telling us how good they sound and how his Lepai amp is having no trouble driving the load. Welcome to Darren's world.
                    You seem to think that YOUR ears are the only tools to confirm or deny the sound quality of a speaker

Comment

there could be something to this.... although i would think Pc speakers would need nothing more than a single full range driver because the PC output can be EQ'd as desired.
                      In that sense a two way is overkill.
                      But if you wanted to, sure the PC can be EQ'd to do what ever you want it to.
                      In fact, bi-amp it and let the PC do the heavy Xo lifting.
                      It should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
                        Build them.

Report back.
                        Waiting for UPS.
                        Amp is on back order but I can power them with another amp for testing purposes

Comment

You seem to think that YOUR ears are the only tools to confirm or deny the sound quality of a speaker
                          Darren do we really need to go down this road again? Your question has been asked and answered. Do what you wish with the info.
                          Can you? Yes. Should you? The voice of multiple replies of those with experience, say no. They have given you reasons why it is no. You have been given data, facts, and experience from those who are far more knowledgeable than you. You have a lack of trust in these individuals yet still come to us seeking advice. Why?
                          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                            Darren do we really need to go down this road again? Your question has been asked and answered. Do what you wish with the info.
                            Can you? Yes. Should you? The voice of multiple replies of those with experience, say no. They have given you reasons why it is no. You have been given data, facts, and experience from those who are far more knowledgeable than you. You have a lack of trust in these individuals yet still come to us seeking advice. Why?
                            Parts are on the way to do this. Just making use of parts laying around. Not looking for anything mind blowing. Just dont want to have to leave the living room windows open to hear music on my back patio during the texas heat.

Comment

Then you've asked and answered your own question.

Comment

Reporting as ordered sir! Given that I spent $2 on 2 tweeters (279-001) and $1 on 2 capacitors (027-328) and using woofers collecting dust, I could not be more pleased. Waiting for the Lapai mini amp and I'll be in business where ever I have AC current Sounds way better than computer power speakers I have in my teardrop trailer that I think sound amazing for what they areClick image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0198.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	696.9 KB
ID:	1157962

Comment

Working...
                                X