• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can I build a small 2 way without using a crossover

for a dollar a tweeter I wish I would have bought a dozen of those jewels

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenM View Post
      Reporting as ordered sir! Given that I spent $2 on 2 tweeters (279-001) and $1 on 2 capacitors (027-328) and using woofers collecting dust, I could not be more pleased. Waiting for the Lapai mini amp and I'll be in business where ever I have AC current Sounds way better than computer power speakers I have in my teardrop trailer that I think sound amazing for what they are[ATTACH=CONFIG]46806[/ATTACH]
      I assume that you realize that by employing a capacitor in your circuit, you are now using a crossover!
      Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Reporting as ordered sir! Given that I spent $2 on 2 tweeters (279-001) and $1 on 2 capacitors (027-328) and using woofers collecting dust, I could not be more pleased. Waiting for the Lapai mini amp and I'll be in business where ever I have AC current Sounds way better than computer power speakers I have in my teardrop trailer that I think sound amazing for what they are[ATTACH=CONFIG]46806[/ATTACH]
        at least he builds nice boxes!

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
          I assume that you realize that by employing a capacitor in your circuit, you are now using a crossover!
          ok, I guess I should have said, an ASSEMBLED COMPLEX crossover
          I spent $.50 to do what I would otherwise have spent $15-20 each side

Comment

Originally posted by manu et deo View Post
            at least he builds nice boxes!
            Thats a piece of junk I spent all of a few hours building. Would you like to see some towers I built that took a full week, 40 plus hours

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover-chart.gif
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1157967
              Forgot where I got that from.

For another 50 cents each, you could put a capacitor in parallel to the woofer and have a real 2-way.

Comment

Originally posted by ngjockey View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]46811[/ATTACH]
                Forgot where I got that from.

For another 50 cents each, you could put a capacitor in parallel to the woofer and have a real 2-way.
                I will inquire about that concept. But honestly, last time I tried to improve on good, I ended up disappointed
                After thought....isnt there simply a capacitor with twice the value to do that

Comment

It's called a series low pass. Kind of obscure. There are some peaking issues when you get into BFC's (>100 uF) but you won't be anywhere near that.

Comment

I spent $.50 to do what I would otherwise have spent $15-20 each side
                    Now I think you're starting to get it. There's a lot of middle ground in between those two extremes. You could have spend $5-10 each side, too. It's really a question of how much bang you'll get for your buck. It may be that a slightly more expensive crossover, for say $5, would have sounded a lot better, and that if you spent $20 it wouldn't have made that much more of a difference.

But since you weren't willing to ask those questions you'll never know. Why spend all this time and effort on cabinets that might have sounded so much better if you had only spent just a few more dollars on crossover parts? Are you so overwhelmed by the complexity of a crossover circuit that you're afraid to build one?

Maybe not.

Maybe you're convinced that crossovers can't really make that much of a difference in the sound quality? I can see how you might think that way because that's what I used to think, too. What convinced me otherwise was my own ears.

Comment

yall are making way to much of this. I just want a good patio boom box out of what I already have laying around. and these tweetters are a steel. its a done deal. A weekend warrior boom box

Comment

yall are making way to much of this.
                        Yes, it appears we did that when we answered your question instead of telling you what you wanted to hear.

I hope you enjoy the speakers on your patio. I surely do mine, except when it's too hot. :o

Comment

because computer speakers dont generally have XOs in them
                          Not true. Most computer speakers have the crossover or eq built into the amplifier section, because it's much cheaper to do this method in an enclosed system that's never supposed to work with any other components.
                          DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
                          The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
                          The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
                          The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
                          AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

yall are making way to much of this. I just want a good patio boom box out of what I already have laying around. and these tweetters are a steel. its a done deal. A weekend warrior boom box
                            Anxiously awaiting your build pics.
                            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Darren, is your last name Ridikas? I would also love to see your towers.
                              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

arlis, arlis, arlis . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X