X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarrenM
    started a topic Can I build a small 2 way without using a crossover

Can I build a small 2 way without using a crossover

I want to build a small all in one Lapai mini amp-speaker kit, since I cant find some cheap ipod speakers. I found a tweeter with a resistor PN 279-001. I was wondering if I can build a small 2 way speaker with this tweeter, ommiting the x over. I already have a pair of small 5.5" dayton woofers

• DarrenM
    replied
    Re: Can I build a small 2 way without using a crossover

Originally posted by Beau View Post
    Build them.

Report back.
    Amp has arrived. Sounds amazing, especially for the almost nothing I spent on it.Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	1158216

Leave a comment:

• DarrenM
    replied

Then I will leave them as is.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

Originally posted by DarrenM View Post
    This is what I did. But I omitted the resistor that was on the tweeters (3.3ohm) because using the resistors eliminated any output from the tweeters. Will a 10 ohm increase the output.
    A 10 ohm will increase resistance and further lower output.

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by djg View Post
    This is an update to an old classic Dynaco speaker, one cap.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...e-classic-a25/
    And there aren't too many tweeters and woofers besides these that can pull that off

Leave a comment:

• DarrenM
    replied

Originally posted by djg View Post
    This is an update to an old classic Dynaco speaker, one cap.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...e-classic-a25/
    This is what I did. But I omitted the resistor that was on the tweeters (3.3ohm) because using the resistors eliminated any output from the tweeters. Will a 10 ohm increase the output.

Leave a comment:

• ngjockey
    replied

Don't want to hijack this thread on a tangent. Not this one.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by ngjockey View Post
    Wolf, you're right. Thought better after I posted that but haven't got around to correcting it. Posting before thinking again. I've used caps in parallel on .5 drivers but that has other drivers acting as the series load. Sorry, my bad.
    You mean coils or caps were acting as series load, right?

FYI- You cannot have a series-woofer 2.5-way using a capacitor across one of them. That doesn't work either. To do this you'd need a lot more complex woofer network like this:

It has been discussed before on the forum, but I figured it was appropriate to repost this as I saw your explanation in my head.

Oh, and nothing to be sorry for- I'm just being informative.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• ngjockey
    replied

Wolf, you're right. Thought better after I posted that but haven't got around to correcting it. Posting before thinking again. I've used caps in parallel on .5 drivers but that has other drivers acting as the series load. Sorry, my bad.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by ngjockey View Post
    It's called a series low pass. Kind of obscure. There are some peaking issues when you get into BFC's (>100 uF) but you won't be anywhere near that.
    That's not a series lowpass without the rest of the circuit. In a parallel topology with just a cap across the woofer and a cap in series with the tweeter- you are just looking for problems. The cap will act as a short to the amp across the woofer above the Fc of the value, unless there is some sort of resistance in series with it. If there is resistance with it, the nominal impedance will droop to the parallel value of the impedance and the resistance above the Fc of the cap.

Now- does it work? If you are using a parallel cap on a woofer in a parallel xover topology (then it is indeed not a series xover), there will be no voltage divider without the series component in the chain (normally a coil) to result in any effect aside from impedance change. In short- no it won't work that way.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• DarrenM
    replied

Thats all I did. $.50 each for the caps and bam. I ported them as well. I think they will more than meet my needs for portable music

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

I understand now why these will work for Darren. They have the exact same crossovers as a pair of Blose 201/301s. ;)

Just ribbin ya Darren. If you are happy with your results, that is what matters.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
    Not true. Most computer speakers have the crossover or eq built into the amplifier section, because it's much cheaper to do this method in an enclosed system that's never supposed to work with any other components.
    This is very weird thread. Anyway, I was going to point out that two-way computer speakers do indeed have crossovers, active ones, but you beat me to it. Why someone would rather do this than pay a few cents for a small cap, I'll never know.

Leave a comment:

• DarrenM
    replied

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...xperimentation

Leave a comment:

• DarrenM
    replied

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Darren, is your last name Ridikas? I would also love to see your towers.
    Here is a set I built over a year ago. I built a prettier set using 4 NS6s (2 way design) a few months later. Still sounding fabulous
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ed-the-bastids

Leave a comment:

Working...
X