Can I build a small 2 way without using a crossover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I build a small 2 way without using a crossover

I want to build a small all in one Lapai mini amp-speaker kit, since I cant find some cheap ipod speakers. I found a tweeter with a resistor PN 279-001. I was wondering if I can build a small 2 way speaker with this tweeter, ommiting the x over. I already have a pair of small 5.5" dayton woofers

Re: Can I build a small 2 way without using a crossover

No. The cheapest way is actually 1.5 way, just putting a cap in series with the tweeter to roll off the lows. Will probably sound like crap. The value of the cap will depend on the impedance of the tweeter and the rolloff frequency.

Comment

No. You will be sending bass frequencies to the tweeter, causing it's destruction as soon as you turn the sound up somewhat. The 3.3 Ohm resistor is not going to give you any protection. At the most it will drop the output by a few dB. You need at least a cheap capacitor to block the lower frequencies (<$1). Spend a few bucks and make something decent out of it. What woofers do you have?
      Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
        No. You will be sending bass frequencies to the tweeter, causing it's destruction as soon as you turn the sound up somewhat. The 3.3 Ohm resistor is not going to give you any protection. At the most it will drop the output by a few dB. You need at least a cheap capacitor to block the lower frequencies (<$1). Spend a few bucks and make something decent out of it. What woofers do you have?
        Ok, so how do I go about that. I was thinking the 3.3 resistor would block the bass.

Comment

Only way to go 2-way without a crossover is to use a piezo tweeter.
          "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
          exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Warning - this guy's hard to convince. DWYT

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenM View Post
              Ok, so how do I go about that. I was thinking the 3.3 resistor would block the bass.
              Caps filter out bass. Resisters resist everything.

Comment

OK so I'll see what the sales-tech guys tell me when I place my order.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                  Warning - this guy's hard to convince. DWYT
                  It is unwise to believe everything one reads on the internet.- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Darren, remember the advice you have received in the past from sales reps also.

You can have a 2way without a fully involved crossover. Use a piezo tweeter (the 3x7 isn't horrible). And pick a 6.5-8" woofer. You will need a couple of resistors to pad the tweeter down to match the lower sensitivity woofer. Look at Johnny Richards "Cabrini". It does have a fully involved crossover though.

Many of the " old school" speakers were essentially without a crossover utilizing a single cap on the tweeter. Bose was huge on this in their 201-601 series as well.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

This is an update to an old classic Dynaco speaker, one cap.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...e-classic-a25/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                        Use a piezo tweeter...You will need a couple of resistors to pad the tweeter down to match the lower sensitivity woofer.
                        You can't pad a piezo with resistors, as it's a capacitive load.
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                          Only way to go 2-way without a crossover is to use a piezo tweeter.
                          Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                          At least not easily, unless using huge resistor values. Even a piezo should be used with a cap to make it's response more predictable and manageable.

http://frugal-phile.com/piezo-XO.html
                          Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                            Then I guess JRs Cabrini's and the builds I did with them the resistor did nothing? The attenuation wasn't real? I applied an l-pad that brought the piezos level down to better match the woofer. Is this not padding or am I using the wrong terminology?
                            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                              Then I guess JRs Cabrini's and the builds I did with them the resistor did nothing? The attenuation wasn't real? I applied an l-pad that brought the piezos level down to better match the woofer. Is this not padding or am I using the wrong terminology?
                              Not exactly, with the capacitive load the piezo represents, the resistor sets the xover frequency, as well as overall level. UNLESS the piezo had a resistor in parallel with it, it does not function as a typical impedance load driver.

Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X