Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Depot find.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Home Depot find.

    Just spotted these hobby panels at my local HD. Don't remember seeing them before. Perfect size for baffles for the tiny speakers I'm building lately. Nothing exotic or anything, but still a score for a few bucks. I'm all about hardwood baffles these days :-)


    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	529.2 KB
ID:	1189136

  • #2
    Re: Home Depot find.

    Lowes carries the 1/2" hobby panels, also, and they have a wider selection of lengths. But that's a good price. I bought some at Lowes for the grandkids to make a wine rack for grammy, and they had a lot of fun using all of the shop tools. This summer's project is going to be docking stations for their iphones, so I'm going to stock up. The poplar makes good "practice wood".
    Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Home Depot find.

      Poplar is a nice looking wood in my opinion. I used MDF for practice to come up with this design
      Click image for larger version

Name:	towers.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1157985

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Home Depot find.

        Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
        Just spotted these hobby panels at my local HD. Don't remember seeing them before. Perfect size for baffles for the tiny speakers I'm building lately. Nothing exotic or anything, but still a score for a few bucks. I'm all about hardwood baffles these days :-)


        [ATTACH=CONFIG]46829[/ATTACH]
        Might be nice to use as crossover boards on an OB project I am building.
        Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Home Depot find.

          Originally posted by Beau View Post
          Might be nice to use as crossover boards
          Yep! These poplar pieces are very handy for building crossovers.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	1157986

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Home Depot find.

            Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
            Yep! These poplar pieces are very handy for building crossovers.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]46831[/ATTACH]
            Very cool. How much to build those as opposed to buying pre built

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Home Depot find.

              The important issue is not cost but to have a crossover that's designed specifically for your drivers on your baffle in your box. A pre-built crossover is highly unlikely to perform better than mediocre or average. The speakers you show in Post 3 are very attractive and I hope their crossover does them justice.
              Paul

              Originally posted by DarrenM View Post
              Very cool. How much to build those as opposed to buying pre built

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Home Depot find.

                Hmm I'm heading to the local Home Depot shortly. I'll be on the look out for this!
                https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Home Depot find.

                  Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
                  Yep! These poplar pieces are very handy for building crossovers.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]46831[/ATTACH]
                  If it's not too late... this coil orientation for the smaller coil is the one that yields no interference:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil Orientation.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	1157988

                  Although, you DO have a nice amount of space between them... so it probably won't make much of a difference. Just for informational purposes, think of a tire laying on it's side, about to be run over by another tire. Zero mutual coupling in that orientation.
                  ~Marty

                  Baby Eidolons
                  Sapphos
                  Cables (Post #54)
                  Other speakers (Post #21)
                  Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                  Boundary Augmentation
                  Dispersion/Interference

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Home Depot find.

                    Yeah. not a big deal in this instance.
                    Darren, sharp.
                    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

                    Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

                    http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Home Depot find.

                      deleted... nevermind.
                      ~Marty

                      Baby Eidolons
                      Sapphos
                      Cables (Post #54)
                      Other speakers (Post #21)
                      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                      Boundary Augmentation
                      Dispersion/Interference

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Home Depot find.

                        Originally posted by ReissM View Post
                        If it's not too late... this coil orientation for the smaller coil is the one that yields no interference:

                        Although, you DO have a nice amount of space between them... so it probably won't make much of a difference. Just for informational purposes, think of a tire laying on it's side, about to be run over by another tire. Zero mutual coupling in that orientation.
                        Thanks for pointing this out. Somewhere I have saved one of those handy orientation diagrams that has been posted on TT before, but I do recall not consulting it when I was building these xover boards last spring because I figured they're spaced far enough apart to avoid coupling. But it just so happens that I'm going to be rebuilding these xovers this summer, so duly noted! I'll reorient them to alleviate any possibility of interference.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Home Depot find.

                          I assume many forum viewers get tired of me saying this, but as long as the distance between the perimeters of adjacent air-core inductors is at least 2 inches, both can be laid down flat without any audible consequences. If you have the room and can space them further apart, that's fine. If space is tight, then you have to use different orientations to minimize mutual inductance and voltage crosstalk.
                          Paul

                          Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
                          Thanks for pointing this out. Somewhere I have saved one of those handy orientation diagrams that has been posted on TT before, but I do recall not consulting it when I was building these xover boards last spring because I figured they're spaced far enough apart to avoid coupling. But it just so happens that I'm going to be rebuilding these xovers this summer, so duly noted! I'll reorient them to alleviate any possibility of interference.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Home Depot find.

                            Darren: From the looks of your towers I don't think you needed much practice...very nice work! ;)


                            Regards
                            Bob C.
                            NLA

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Home Depot find.

                              Cool... Hope the local one has those. I still fondly remember the local Rocklers special buys of 5/8" Baltic Birch, about 22" x23", $4 a sheet. Furniture company scrap cuts, nice 10 ply stuff. Long gone now. Hope these boards aren't as regional of a thing, have a narrow project in mind...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X