OT: US Patent Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: US Patent Office

US Patent Office Grants 'Photography Against A White Background' Patent To Amazon
    From the maybe-someone-at-the-office-checked-the-wrong-box? dept

The US Patent and Trademark Office is frequently maligned for its baffling/terrible decisions... and rightfully so. Because this is exactly the sort of thing for which the USPTO should be maligned. Udi Tirosh at DIY Photography has uncovered a recently granted patent for the previously-unheard of process of photographing things/people against a white backdrop... to of all companies, Amazon.

Be sure to shop on Amazon!
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    Website

Re: OT: US Patent Office

I think I have a shot at patenting my formica laminated MDF enclosure for amps.

Cut MDF to size --> apply contact cement --> glue formica --> install amplifier

Unbelievable...
    Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
    ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
    LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
    Sonata Soundbar Project
    The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

OMG... that's insane. So I guess is I can no longer use a 255/255/255 RGB background anymore without receiving threats from Amazon attorneys? I'll have to switch to 254/254/254 or such if I wish to avoid patent infringements. Me thinks this one won't stick.
      "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

It's patently obvious, that if it's patently obvious, it can't be patented.
        Obviously the patent office is patently oblivious to the patently obvious.
        They are patently absurd!

(fortunately it will never withstand a challenge)
        ~99%
        Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
        Make me a poster of an old rodeo
        Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
        To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

I've certainly seen my fair share of bizarre decision by the USPTO. In this case claim 1 has some pretty specific restrictions that could distinguish it from prior art, but the other 2 independent claims (claim 2 and claim 25) seem like they can't possibly be valid given the amount of prior art in the photography field.
          Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Large companies are all the time being granted patents for things that have been around forever. Just because it's obviously wrong doesn't mean it's not happening.
            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I think this is yet another example of corporations wanting to own everything and taking advantage of bureaucratic stupidity. Thankfully, I buy nothing from Amazon.
              No matter where you go, there you are.
              Website

Comment

Originally posted by gowa View Post
                I think this is yet another example of corporations wanting to own everything and taking advantage of bureaucratic stupidity. Thankfully, I buy nothing from Amazon.
                Amazon has just lost my business too... nothing through them ever again.
                ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

I just sent a message to Amazon letting them know in VERY FRANK terms how stupid I think this is and letting them know they've lost my business.
                  ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Unbelievable.........seriously, I'm shocked. People have no shame anymore.

I guess I should sell my D3 now since I can't takes pics against white without fear of being sued by amazon.
                    Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Merlot
                    Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's,
                    Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's,
                    MiniDSP 2x8, class D amplification

Sennheiser HD650's

Comment

I guess I should sell my D3 now since I can't takes pics against white without fear of being sued by amazon.
                      Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Merlot
                      Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's,
                      Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's,
                      MiniDSP 2x8, class D amplification

Sennheiser HD650's

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post

Nah... just set the white balance to 254/254/254.
                        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by gowa View Post
                          In America corporations cannot make anything without violating vast numbers of mainly stupid patents owned by other corporations. They have little choice but to obtain vast number of mainly stupid patents of their own in order to defend themselves. I doubt the corporations themselves want to take part in such a costly process.

Comment

Not to let Amazon off the hook for patenting an obvious solution, but remember that they are not patenting white backgrounds, just one means to achieve it. I looked at the patent, and it mentions the undesirable time spent retouching to omit shadows and edges. They elevate the subject to be photographed on a platform and hide backlights behind it to illuminate the background, and the platform's back edge must be lit sufficiently to match the background - well at least to 255 RGB. With this patent, I suspect that they will not go after studio photographers, but instead focus on high-volume catalog shops that attempt to emulate their photo production lines. I still think that they'd have a hard time even with that if it came to a court case.

I work with faculty who have visited one of the Amazon Photo "factories" where throughput volume is extremely important, and it's all down to a formula. I hear that photographers and models working for them have a high burn-out rate from the daily repetition and fast pace.
                            Bill Schneider
                            -+-+-+-+-
                            www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Besides, I've always liked a gray background better. Even back in the 80s...

Bill Schneider
                              -+-+-+-+-
                              www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Working...
                              X