The Small Stack; a Micro 3-way.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Small Stack; a Micro 3-way.

Disclaimer - Please do not come into this thread to let me know it "isn't worth it" or I "shouldn't do it." Please come in to be helpful, offer constructive criticism, and have fun.

So I am taking on my first REAL build and design (with probably a ton of help and questions to/from the board and others). A way out in left field micro 3-way. Yeah. Micro 3-way. :eek: It's happening and there is nothing you can do about it! :p

After some time weighing driver options and asking for some opinions - HERE - I've settled on the following drivers:

EDIT: Final driver selection
    Tweeter : Morel MDT-39
    Mid : Peerless 830992
    Woofer : Tang Band W5-2053

Summary:
    This build is being designed to be a desktop loudspeaker, no more than 4ft from the listening position. So some things may be compromised to accommodate.

It all started with the Peerless buyout mid and my desire for a small 3-way design. I figure the paper cone mid should do very well handling the midrange and I know stereotypically Peerless is well regarded, so I can't imagine that I will be disappointed.

I then moved on to the woofer. I know I don't want a subwoofer, I want this to be a true full range speaker and feel it can be since it will be within 3ft of me. I went with the new Tang Band offering that are supposed to offer nearly physics bending performance in small spaces on not all that much power. I sure hope that they live up to the specs.

Then it was a toss up on the tweeter for myself. Nearly chose the Morel MDT12, but through nearly unanimous recommendations, went with the SB Acoustics tweeter.

EDIT: After much more discussion, the driver selection and consideration of certain aspects of speaker design, the driver selection changed quite drastically. This is becoming an all out build. Oops. :D
    Last edited by joeybutts; 05-14-2014, 10:13 PM.
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Re: The Small Stack; a Micro 3-way.

It aint' worth it! Don't do it!!!! Actually, what blows my mind is your statement "I know I don't want a subwoofer". WHAT???

Build it and post Joey. Might copy if it works out.
    If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

This will be interesting. The tweeter is much more efficient than the other drivers, other than that, looks like they'll work well together. What sort of power will they get?

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by the kid View Post
        It aint' worth it! Don't do it!!!! Actually, what blows my mind is your statement "I know I don't want a subwoofer". WHAT???

Build it and post Joey. Might copy if it works out.
        :D At work, it is nearly pointless. But I already have my Talking Sticks in here with twin 8" Tapped lines, so plenty if I was desperate. ;)

Will do!

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
        This will be interesting. The tweeter is much more efficient than the other drivers, other than that, looks like they'll work well together. What sort of power will they get?
        Thanks GW. It was one thing I was worried about when looking at it, but figured could be corrected in the X-over. And the Morel vs the SB is a wash in terms of the sensitivity from my understanding of 2.83V vs 1W. Does this pose a major issue in regard to designing?

For power, I have always eyed an Emo Mini-X, and think that since I am going so far out with this build, I may as well get an amp to do it justice. Or if I found a killer deal on something else in that 80W@ 4ohm range......
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Here ya go! I have all confidence in your abilities to do this. One question. Do you have measurement gear?
          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
            Here ya go! I have all confidence in your abilities to do this. One question. Do you have measurement gear?
            Thanks Chuck. I don't, but plan on buying some or bribing Loren or Kerry to give me a hand at some point, though I first am going to try and procure my own.

I have a Mac. :/ I know it is doable on there but just another small hurdle to jump. I think Kerry has a Mac he does his on, but he said it is kind of buggy.

Comment

Just a thought, with that small of a mid, you could probably get by with a smaller, less expensive tweeter. Should be a cool project either way.
              Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

Originally posted by Melby Audio View Post
                Just a thought, with that small of a mid, you could probably get by with a smaller, less expensive tweeter. Should be a cool project either way.
                I was thinking the same thing.
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Too Expensive! Too cheap! Too big, Too small, not efficient enough! :eek:
                  Just had to do it, man. Opinions are like <oh, better not go there in a "family" forum>

Man, that woofer is a beast! 35Hz in 4 liters? Woohoo!
                  Looks like a very nice project. I may have to follow you down that road if I can get
                  permission from "other members of the household".

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                    ...Thanks GW. It was one thing I was worried about when looking at it, but figured could be corrected in the X-over. And the Morel vs the SB is a wash in terms of the sensitivity from my understanding of 2.83V vs 1W. Does this pose a major issue in regard to designing?...
                    With that far of a gap, I don't think it will make much of a difference when it comes to the crossover design, you will still have to attenuate the tweeter almost 10dB either way.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                    return to the source
                    leviathan system thread
                    deadhorse thread
                    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

For a few dollars more- you could have a Beston ribbon for treble, and you don't have to play that low to that mid.
                      I applaud your woofer choice!
                      Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wow - that is a serious little woofer! I wasn't paying attention to the woofer discussion in the other thread. Can't wait to see how it models and how it looks in an enclosure. Someone should let PE know they're violating Amazon's patent by showing pics of that woofer on a white background :p

Comment

Ben I considered recommending the beston. I thought it may need a little more finise for first build/design.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                            Thanks Chuck. I don't, but plan on buying some or bribing Loren or Kerry to give me a hand at some point, though I first am going to try and procure my own.

I have a Mac. :/ I know it is doable on there but just another small hurdle to jump. I think Kerry has a Mac he does his on, but he said it is kind of buggy.
                            I run Windows in bootcamp to get all my software running. I've had some issues that seem to be related to the soundcard and have thought about buying an external but have been able to get fairly repeatable results with a little practice. I'm sure my noise floor could be lowered by running an external though.
                            -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

The ND16FA-6 seems like the perfect candidate for this design. You can cross it over to that mid at a high enough frequency to keep it comfortable when playing loud, and you can place it almost right up against the square frame of the mid. Center-to-center spacing becomes much more important when designing a speaker for near-field listening, especially a three-way, because small changes in head position will affect flight time from each of the drivers to a larger extent.

Will you be bi-amping the system? It looks like you may want to, with the low sensitivity of the woofers.
                              Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
                              Product Manager, Dayton Audio

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Comment

Working...
                              X