No announcement yet.

The Small Stack; a Micro 3-way.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been looking for a small 3 way design I can use in my bookshelf and was bummed to read through this post only to see the ending. Was there ever any other "micro 3 way" style designs that resulted from this or other, independent efforts? The caveat being that since I want to build them, the drivers still need to be available..

Comment

• Originally posted by mister_project View Post
      I've been looking for a small 3 way design I can use in my bookshelf and was bummed to read through this post only to see the ending. Was there ever any other "micro 3 way" style designs that resulted from this or other, independent efforts? The caveat being that since I want to build them, the drivers still need to be available..
      What is your definition of "small"? If you google Sehlin Sound Solutions you can see his Hafnium's (pretty small at 0.38 cubic feet) and Zriconium's (not that small at 0.56 cubic feet).

Comment

• Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

What is your definition of "small"? If you google Sehlin Sound Solutions you can see his Hafnium's (pretty small at 0.38 cubic feet) and Zriconium's (not that small at 0.56 cubic feet).
        Small enough to fit into my built-in bookshelf (terrible speaker placement generally, I know) which means that whatever I end up building absolutely must fit into a space 23.5" H x 14" W x 14" D.

I did see the Zirconiums and would say they're an option I'm considering. I'm less than thrilled about the 6.5" woofer for bass extension. When I first saw these I thought they were rear ported and was trying to figure out where I'd relocate things to. Looking again, I'm a bit confused on this detail since not much information is given from what I can see. If they were sealed that would alleviate my port relocation issue, but then again I'd be asking about actual bass extension with the sealed design. I took the Halfniums off my list because of the same concerns I have about the Zirconiums except even more so. The woofers are 5.25" which I just don't think I'll be happy with.

I know I'm trying to cram a lot of design requirements into this. But like OP said at the beginning of this post, I have sort of a "you can't stop me" mindset in terms of small 3-ways, and especially for a bookshelf setup. I know it's not recommended by most, but it's the space I have to work with and I want a 3-way setup instead of a 2.1 for other various reasons I won't get into.

I'm aware of a handful of designs that may work, but at first glance none of them really felt like a home run. Of course I, "want it all" so relatively good bass extension is important to me. It'd also be nice if I could buy the drivers and XO components for around $500. I'm skilled with fabrication and woodworking but have only built a handful of speakers and have mostly followed other designs. I'm not very confident or knowledgeable about the finer details of XO design. I'm fine with modifying existing enclosure designs a little bit to fit my physical space or relocate a port, but for this project I'm not really interested in major redesign of the XO for instance. Here's a few of the best contenders that I'm aware of:

- 3-Way Classic Bookshelf: pretty much spot on with what I want and the 8" bass driver is perfect for getting bass extension as much as is possible. The sticking point is that the price of the components is a little bit more than I'd like to pay, and with shipping costs would be well over budget. If I ended up going with these, I'd have to be pretty confident these speakers were clear winners since they're almost twice the price of all other options.
        - Xenoliths: I like most of what I read about Wolf's design with a few exceptions. I do like the sideways orientation of the speaker because it'd allow me to move the shelf down in the bookshelf and have more usable space for well, books. The traditional speaker design with height being much greater than width is not very efficient in terms of bookshelf storage efficiency. People commented the bass was decent for a speaker this size, but the 6.5" woofer concerns me in terms of extension at least when compared to the 8" woofer in Travis's design above. Then there is also the issue with the side ports--I'd have to figure out how to relocate those on a baffle that already looks pretty full.
        - Silverbacks: Here's another set of speakers that looked really promising and like they might have met all my requirements. The 8" woofer and overall dimensions are spot on. However, I'm not sure how well developed these speakers were or if they rivaled other options in terms of SQ. Unfortunately, the Pursuit of Sound website no longer works and finding a ton of information of people with firsthand experience is difficult. It seems like they just dropped off the face of the planet. Maybe somebody on PE knows what happened...

Here are some other options I've looked at too. The 6.7" - 7" woofers might be okay but seem less appealing than the 8" options above. However, I know it's not simply a matter of cone diameter for bass extension, but to a first order I've been using that as means to rank the options.
        - Latus1
        - Summits
        - Zirconium
        - Hypnos
        - Argon
        - Darpa Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

Small enough to fit into my built-in bookshelf (terrible speaker placement generally, I know) which means that whatever I end up building absolutely must fit into a space 23.5" H x 14" W x 14" D.

I did see the Zirconiums and would say they're an option I'm considering. I'm less than thrilled about the 6.5" woofer for bass extension. When I first saw these I thought they were rear ported and was trying to figure out where I'd relocate things to. Looking again, I'm a bit confused on this detail since not much information is given from what I can see. If they were sealed that would alleviate my port relocation issue, but then again I'd be asking about actual bass extension with the sealed design. I took the Halfniums off my list because of the same concerns I have about the Zirconiums except even more so. The woofers are 5.25" which I just don't think I'll be happy with.

I know I'm trying to cram a lot of design requirements into this. But like OP said at the beginning of this post, I have sort of a "you can't stop me" mindset in terms of small 3-ways, and especially for a bookshelf setup. I know it's not recommended by most, but it's the space I have to work with and I want a 3-way setup instead of a 2.1 for other various reasons I won't get into.

I'm aware of a handful of designs that may work, but at first glance none of them really felt like a home run. Of course I, "want it all" so relatively good bass extension is important to me. It'd also be nice if I could buy the drivers and XO components for around $500. I'm skilled with fabrication and woodworking but have only built a handful of speakers and have mostly followed other designs. I'm not very confident or knowledgeable about the finer details of XO design. I'm fine with modifying existing enclosure designs a little bit to fit my physical space or relocate a port, but for this project I'm not really interested in major redesign of the XO for instance. Here's a few of the best contenders that I'm aware of:

- 3-Way Classic Bookshelf: pretty much spot on with what I want and the 8" bass driver is perfect for getting bass extension as much as is possible. The sticking point is that the price of the components is a little bit more than I'd like to pay, and with shipping costs would be well over budget. If I ended up going with these, I'd have to be pretty confident these speakers were clear winners since they're almost twice the price of all other options.
          - Xenoliths: I like most of what I read about Wolf's design with a few exceptions. I do like the sideways orientation of the speaker because it'd allow me to move the shelf down in the bookshelf and have more usable space for well, books. The traditional speaker design with height being much greater than width is not very efficient in terms of bookshelf storage efficiency. People commented the bass was decent for a speaker this size, but the 6.5" woofer concerns me in terms of extension at least when compared to the 8" woofer in Travis's design above. Then there is also the issue with the side ports--I'd have to figure out how to relocate those on a baffle that already looks pretty full.
          - Silverbacks: Here's another set of speakers that looked really promising and like they might have met all my requirements. The 8" woofer and overall dimensions are spot on. However, I'm not sure how well developed these speakers were or if they rivaled other options in terms of SQ. Unfortunately, the Pursuit of Sound website no longer works and finding a ton of information of people with firsthand experience is difficult. It seems like they just dropped off the face of the planet. Maybe somebody on PE knows what happened...

Here are some other options I've looked at too. The 6.7" - 7" woofers might be okay but seem less appealing than the 8" options above. However, I know it's not simply a matter of cone diameter for bass extension, but to a first order I've been using that as means to rank the options.
          - Latus1
          - Summits
          - Zirconium
          - Hypnos
          - Argon
          - Darpa Jr.

Comment

• There were a whole bunch of mini 3-ways designed a few years ago for InDIYana. Somehow I think I've replied to mister_project about this before....

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
            X