The Small Stack; a Micro 3-way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Small Stack; a Micro 3-way.

Haha, I meant the Peerless 2", but I am sure the 4 would be a good fit too. The larger you go with the mid, the less attractive the small ND16 would be.
    Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
      Kerry, are you suggesting the TC6 or just referencing or just confusing with the Peerless 4"?

You mean 4' port? Sealed works and makes it a bit easier to build. My source will be my laptop so I can eq a bit if needed to taste, which shouldn't be much. I do really like my sealed setups in both my HT and my pickup, so I am willing to bet this pans out well. And I think that Mini-X will keep it bumping clean.
      I was addressing the concern brought up by rpb about excursion and saying it's not a concern. I think that the Peerless buyout mid will work just fine as long as you front mount the woofer.

Yes, almost a 4' long port.

Most people are suggesting other tweeters simply because the mid is able to cross high enough that you don't need anything expensive. If you don't want to go with the ND16, the SB tweeter you chose will be perfectly fine and it has a fairly small faceplate. I personally wouldn't go with the Beston ribbon only because it is a lot larger than the mid and I think aesthetically it would look weird and you would need about a 2" taller box to house it. I can totally understand the motivation to go with something that you haven't used before, so if you don't want to use Dayton then don't.

My suggestion is still to stick with the Peerless buyout mid. Like I said, if it doesn't work out, you've only wasted about $12. It's small size will allow you to fit everything into something about the size of the Overnight Sensations. And if you decide it sucks, you can buy the HDS mids off rpb and build a little bigger.
      -Kerry

Comment

If you wanted to get away from Dayton, you could try a vifa OT19 with the Peerless 2".
        Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

Originally posted by Melby Audio View Post
          Haha, I meant the Peerless 2", but I am sure the 4 would be a good fit too. The larger you go with the mid, the less attractive the small ND16 would be.
          ohhh. Oops. Well some debate on this....some say use the 2", some say use the 4". I am going to use the 4". Seems like a better fit and over all product than the buyout.

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
          I was addressing the concern brought up by rpb about excursion and saying it's not a concern. I think that the Peerless buyout mid will work just fine as long as you front mount the woofer.

Yes, almost a 4' long port.

Most people are suggesting other tweeters simply because the mid is able to cross high enough that you don't need anything expensive. If you don't want to go with the ND16, the SB tweeter you chose will be perfectly fine and it has a fairly small faceplate. I personally wouldn't go with the Beston ribbon only because it is a lot larger than the mid and I think aesthetically it would look weird and you would need about a 2" taller box to house it. I can totally understand the motivation to go with something that you haven't used before, so if you don't want to use Dayton then don't.

My suggestion is still to stick with the Peerless buyout mid. Like I said, if it doesn't work out, you've only wasted about $12. It's small size will allow you to fit everything into something about the size of the Overnight Sensations. And if you decide it sucks, you can buy the HDS mids off rpb and build a little bigger.
          Got you. I'm gonna commit to the 4". If I am going to get pricey on all the other drivers, why not the mid? Why not build it all to the same level? I can always use the 2" in another project.
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

So curiosity was eating at me, went and looked back at the 4" and saw that there are two versions of the 4"; a GFC cone and a PPB cone. What are the differences? Any advantage to one over the other?
            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
              So curiosity was eating at me, went and looked back at the 4" and saw that there are two versions of the 4"; a GFC cone and a PPB cone. What are the differences? Any advantage to one over the other?
              The 4" HDS PPB is an "OK" driver. Probably not fantastic, but adequate for most people. I have used 5.25" HDS drivers, and they are better than the 4", but they may need to cross just under 2k to sound their best in my opinion. I have a 5.25" GFC that I like a lot for mid use. I've crossed it at 1.8k I think. It needs a really dead chamber though. Without sufficient damping, the sound inside the box seems to get transmitted back through the cone. I use 1" fiberglass panels from some ceiling tiles to line the chamber. The 4" GFC would be tempting to try. The PPB might be more tolerant of a small, or underdamped chamber.

Comment

I just checked out the link somebody posted to the 4" Peerless and it's about a billion times nicer looking than the 2" buyout.

Being that you're shelling out a fair amount of money for the tweeter and woofer, I think a move to a nicer mid makes sense - even strictly for visual appeal. Though it is ironic that this journey began with that mid. lol :D

If this lets you crossover lower and move the woofer to the side, that would be cool too.... that driver is claiming 123hz in a sealed box, which I think was below the max limit on the range suggested earlier in this thread.

Good luck!

Comment

maybe a HiVi B4N would work
                  craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                    The 4" HDS PPB is an "OK" driver. Probably not fantastic, but adequate for most people. I have used 5.25" HDS drivers, and they are better than the 4", but they may need to cross just under 2k to sound their best in my opinion. I have a 5.25" GFC that I like a lot for mid use. I've crossed it at 1.8k I think. It needs a really dead chamber though. Without sufficient damping, the sound inside the box seems to get transmitted back through the cone. I use 1" fiberglass panels from some ceiling tiles to line the chamber. The 4" GFC would be tempting to try. The PPB might be more tolerant of a small, or underdamped chamber.
                    Thanks Kim for the honest response. I may opt for the GFC version.

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
                    I just checked out the link somebody posted to the 4" Peerless and it's about a billion times nicer looking than the 2" buyout.

Being that you're shelling out a fair amount of money for the tweeter and woofer, I think a move to a nicer mid makes sense - even strictly for visual appeal. Though it is ironic that this journey began with that mid. lol :D

If this lets you crossover lower and move the woofer to the side, that would be cool too.... that driver is claiming 123hz in a sealed box, which I think was below the max limit on the range suggested earlier in this thread.

Good luck!
                    Thanks LPJ! Hahhaha. funny I started with a $6 mid and am ending up with a $600 project. :p

Comment

Here's a Beston RT003c and DS90-8 on a 7 1/2" x 4 7/8" baffle in 1.5L. I think the Beston is good to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DS90-8 and Beston RT003C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	1158025
                      Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                      DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                      Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

The Morel mdt39 is nice if crossed at, or above 2.5k. It has a tiny faceplate, and I have a template for flush mounting it. I also have one mdt39 I could part with.

If you get cramped for space, consider putting the tweeter in the middle ( mtw) between the woofer and mid. This allows you a little more room between the driver cutouts, and the dividing walls between the mid and woofer, and will make some room for the fiberglass I mentioned. However this might have more tweeter diffraction caused by the woofer and mid drivers. Also, the mdt 39 is very strong off axis all the way up to about 10k. Bad thing is, this makes it more prone to diffraction than a driver that rolls off earlier.

Everything is a tradeoff... don't yah think?

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                          maybe a HiVi B4N would work
                          Thanks Craig, I'm going to go with Peerless GFC 4" though!

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
                          Here's a Beston RT003c and DS90-8 on a 7 1/2" x 4 7/8" baffle in 1.5L. I think the Beston is good to go.
                          Hmmm. I appreciate the vote Kenny! But.....

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                          The Morel mdt39 is nice if crossed at, or above 2.5k. It has a tiny faceplate, and I have a template for flush mounting it. I also have one mdt39 I could part with.

If you get cramped for space, consider putting the tweeter in the middle ( mtw) between the woofer and mid. This allows you a little more room between the driver cutouts, and the dividing walls between the mid and woofer, and will make some room for the fiberglass I mentioned. However this might have more tweeter diffraction caused by the woofer and mid drivers. Also, the mdt 39 is very strong off axis all the way up to about 10k. Bad thing is, this makes it more prone to diffraction than a driver that rolls off earlier.

Everything is a tradeoff... don't yah think?
                          I'm gonna go with this tweeter. Let's do it Kim. Tell me where to send the money.

This build better kick a$s. :p

Comment

OK - here is my "contribution" such as it is.

You started all of this about the Peerless buyout, right? 2" of fire breathing midrange.

What if you were to put together the "Buyout Special", a three way built on nothing but buyout products (and maybe a "Special")?

So, keep your Peerless: http://www.parts-express.com/peerles...range--299-008

And suppose you were to use two of the 4" 2 ohm buyout subwoofers as the woofer: http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...2-ohm--299-825

And then, what about a tweeter like this http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...eeter--275-059

So, we've would have (per side) $12 in the tweeter, $7 in the mid, and $28 in the woofer. $47 per side.

Or, if you feeling more frugal, maybe substitute a couple of these guys for the woofers: http://www.parts-express.com/5-paper...8-ohm--299-006

I am just thinking, since it is almost free, you could call it the Obama.
                            Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Can't lie.....I do like the TMWW idea. Maybe call it the Beaubama?

:D

I seriously hope that was meant to be a long drawn out joke, cause I defintiely see the humor in there. Nicely done either way and I just may do it!

Comment

Oh there was (and usually is) an element of joking.

But I wonder what you could do with those components????
                                Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Working...
                                X