Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Small Stack; a Micro 3-way.

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
    I'm gonna go with this tweeter. Let's do it Kim. Tell me where to send the money. This build better kick a$s. :p
    I don't think the MDT39 is available anymore....
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Beau, the 5" close-out mid-woofer doesn't go very low and likes a pretty large box. I had eyes on it myself.

It makes a big computer desk speaker, but a TMWW based on the parts mentioned look like they could play well together in a four ohm speaker. Where you hand-off the mid to the tweeter could be touchy for voicing, unless you can stand the extra cost of a higher order tweeter filter. That's what I got in my REALLY quick-n-dirty sim anyway, using published data and TRACE.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        I don't think the MDT39 is available anymore....
        Wolf
        Are you thinking of the MDT 40 Ben?

Originally posted by Beau View Post
        Oh there was (and usually is) an element of joking.

But I wonder what you could do with those components????
        T'was funny. I think it could be a great entry build....
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Whaddya think.

Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

That's a really cool design.
            Craig

Comment

that is a great design
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Will it be truly modular, mix-n-match speaker components? Looks like building block design possibilities to me. ;)
                Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Is that space above the tweeter for aesthetics?
                  My projects
                  https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

I have a Mac. :/ I know it is doable on there but just another small hurdle to jump. I think Kerry has a Mac he does his on, but he said it is kind of buggy.
                    That's no barrier to measurement. FuzzMeasure is probably the best overall measurement package out there. It does everything except for polar maps.
                    --
                    "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                      That's a really cool design.
                      Originally posted by craigk View Post
                      that is a great design
                      Thanks fellas! I borrowed the basic idea from my HT builds. I thought it gave some nice detail to it.....

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
                      Will it be truly modular, mix-n-match speaker components? Looks like building block design possibilities to me. ;)
                      My first thought was to just dado an 1/8"x1/8" recess around the whole enclosure to give the illusion of separate blocks, and as I was drawing it, thought that would be a really cool idea. . I have some ideas for it, though not sure which way I wan to go. I think the modular idea would be different....kind of.

Originally posted by ckmoore View Post
                      Is that space above the tweeter for aesthetics?
                      Purely aesthetic. Thought it offered balance to the overall design. Have an idea regarding?

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
                      That's no barrier to measurement. FuzzMeasure is probably the best overall measurement package out there. It does everything except for polar maps.
                      Thanks Pallas! Is the free version worthwhile or do I/ should I purchase "Pro"?

Comment

Speaking strictly from a performance standpoint, I'd put the mid up high, and leave about 1.25" between the hole, and the inside surface of the box top. Then the tweeter could be at the divider between the woofer and mid. You would need to carve out some space for it. This should leave some space for the 1" fiberglass panels on all sides of the mid driver.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                          Speaking strictly from a performance standpoint, I'd put the mid up high, and leave about 1.25" between the hole, and the inside surface of the box top. Then the tweeter could be at the divider between the woofer and mid. You would need to carve out some space for it. This should leave some space for the 1" fiberglass panels on all sides of the mid driver.
                          Kim, how close to the baffle would you put the OC703 around the mid? I know it needs room to breathe but then squash the rear waves. If I am setting the OC703 back 1.5" to 2", do I need to add space around? Also, does it matter how large the chamber is for the mid?

Comment

Kim, how close to the baffle would you put the OC703 around the mid? I know it needs room to breathe but then squash the rear waves. If I am setting it back 1.5" to 2", do I need to add space around? Also, does it matter how large the chamber is for the mid?
                            I'd place the 1" fiberglass against the walls, or floating loose, or some of both. Try to keep any sound from directly bouncing off the walls and back to the mid. I usually cut strips about an inch or two wide, and the length of the chamber. Then I push them through the cutout, and position them. If they wedge and hold in, that's ideal, but I usually have some that are just thrown in at random. The daycron pillow stuffing can help hold them. I would try to cover over half the walls, but 70% to 100% coverage would be just as good, maybe better. I've not tried carpet in a long long time, but it may be a good alternative. I've also used mattress foam.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                              I'd place the fiberglass against the walls, or floating loose, or some of both. Try to keep any sound from directly bouncing off the walls and back to the mid.
                              Understood.

I'd like to keep the mid in the middle, not for much more than aesthetics. Also, I thought modus operandi was to keep the tweeter as close to ear level as possible?

Comment

Understood.

I'd like to keep the mid in the middle, not for much more than aesthetics. Also, I thought modus operandi was to keep the tweeter as close to ear level as possible?
                                Good point. Make the box taller for me! I might would slope the front too, although if the tweeter is below the mid, and below ear level, it would tend to tip the listening axis upward.

Comment

Working...
                                X