Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Small Stack; a Micro 3-way.

Originally posted by rpb View Post
    Good point. Make the box taller for me! I might would slope the front too, although if the tweeter is below the mid, and below ear level, it would tend to tip the listening axis upward.
    Hahahahha. Yeah, I think you and I are on two different levels. ;)

At 14" tall and on my desk, the tweeter will be darn close to ear level. I'll double check tomorrow.

If I am planning currently on crossing the mid around 250hz, does it matter how large the enclosure?
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
      Hahahahha. Yeah, I think you and I are on two different levels. ;)

At 14" tall and on my desk, the tweeter will be darn close to ear level. I'll double check tomorrow.

If I am planning currently on crossing the mid around 250hz, does it matter how large the enclosure?
      I don't think so. I like a large chamber though.

Comment

Is there any problem with having the MDT 39 in the woofer airspace?
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Is there any problem with having the MDT 39 in the woofer airspace?
          Makes no difference.

Comment

Well. Time to order some drivers and build an enclosure!

Comment

Mid enclosure. Issues? Comes out to roughly .06 cubes net.

Comment

I would make the "triangle" uneven, it would cause the backwave to bounce around a bit more maybe?

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                return to the source
                leviathan system thread
                deadhorse thread
                shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                  I would make the "triangle" uneven, it would cause the backwave to bounce around a bit more maybe?
                  You know.... I thought about that....

Comment

anyone else have thoughts on it? Am I wasting my time making the mid chamber have non-parallel sides if I am going to well damp in there?

Comment

anyone else have thoughts on it? Am I wasting my time making the mid chamber have non-parallel sides if I am going to well damp in there?
                      I'd try to avoid a small cube shape, but beyond that, I think any shape will work OK. Bigger sizes help since you can add more fiberglass in some sections, ie 1" on the left wall, and 2" on the right, etc. If you want to get fancy, maybe make a 5 or 6 sided mid chamber, and slope the back wall about 30 degrees.

Comment

I think there is value in non-parallel sides (there was a long series of articles in Speaker Building a few years ago) -
                        but you should really try different shapes and fills and measure each....

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I have listened to speakers of all shapes and sizes, and there has been good ones and bad ones. I think that the speakers that have sounded the best have tried to comply with the Fibonacci sequence.
                          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                            I have listened to speakers of all shapes and sizes, and there has been good ones and bad ones. I think that the speakers that have sounded the best have tried to comply with the Fibonacci sequence.
                            1-1-2-3-5; EUREKA! Darn Parrot.... and that dead comedian Fatty Tissue that owned him....
                            Sorry if you don't get the reference,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Fun build Joey. When will you start cutting? Off setting the mid and tweeter or at least the tweeter is not a bad idea. Maybe a gradual slant.
                              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I'm hoping in the next week or two. It shouldn't take long as most cutting can be done on the miter saw.

What benefit does off setting the tweeter and/or mid serve? I know the gradual slant could help with time alignment, but how much slant?

Comment

Working...
                                X