The Small Stack; a Micro 3-way.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Small Stack; a Micro 3-way.

I meant from bottom left to top right slant.
    It smooths out the baffle diffraction loss.
    Play with this and you will start to understand.
    http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/BDBS.html
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      I meant from bottom left to top right slant.
      It smooths out the baffle diffraction loss.
      Play with this and you will start to understand.
      http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/BDBS.html
      Oh, align the drivers in a slant up the baffle. Got you.

I can't use the program. :( Anyone want to guide me in installing one of those programs that lets me run windows based programs on a mac?
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Think I got it....using Parallels for Desktop 9.

EDIT: nevermind. Still need help. Need a copy of windows. :p
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Fuzz measure looks like I can get a few graphs right off the computer for rough measurements. I'm sure the mic isn't fantastic but I think I'll play with it a bit to get the gist of how this all works before the drivers get here.

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
            I have listened to speakers of all shapes and sizes, and there has been good ones and bad ones. I think that the speakers that have sounded the best have tried to comply with the Fibonacci sequence.
            That makes sense once you get past 112 and 123. The Fibonacci sequence then begins to converge the Golden Ratio.
            Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
              I'm hoping in the next week or two. It shouldn't take long as most cutting can be done on the miter saw.

What benefit does off setting the tweeter and/or mid serve? I know the gradual slant could help with time alignment, but how much slant?
              To accurately align the drives acoustic centers you would need to measure on a flat test baffle first to get the acoustic offsets. However, you could probably just estimate that for a 4" driver and tweeter you would need the tweeter about 3/4-1" offset behind the face of the woofer. With your close spacing, I think that would need to be a pretty large angle though. I wouldn't worry about it too much. By using asymmetrical slopes you can get phase alignment. It just makes things easier by physically aligning them.
              -Kerry

Comment

When you say offset, are you saying in the z-axis, or tipped back 3/4"?

On the fuzzmeasure(FM)/laptop mic note, it's surprisingly in the ballpark of expected measurement. The measurements my AVR is posting are lining up very closely to what FM is showing me. My AVR is boosting through the roof the 300Hz range and FM is showing a major suckout there. There is also another dramatic dip higher up and my AVR is boosting in that general region.

I'm still going to purchase a mic, but jsut nice to see I can get a fairly accurate measurement with just my laptop.

Any recommendations on a mic?

Comment

The Dayton version of the Behringer mic is just fine. It comes with a cal file too.

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                  When you say offset, are you saying in the z-axis, or tipped back 3/4"?

On the fuzzmeasure(FM)/laptop mic note, it's surprisingly in the ballpark of expected measurement. The measurements my AVR is posting are lining up very closely to what FM is showing me. My AVR is boosting through the roof the 300Hz range and FM is showing a major suckout there. There is also another dramatic dip higher up and my AVR is boosting in that general region.

I'm still going to purchase a mic, but jsut nice to see I can get a fairly accurate measurement with just my laptop.

Any recommendations on a mic?
                  Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

PCD calculates z-offset in the forward and backward direction, so you would be setting the tweeter backward -3/4" to -1" to line up the centers.

I've been looking. At picking up the omni-mic package so I might be willing to sell you my rig if you are interested.

The only issue with measuring in Mac OS is that you still have nothing to model with. You will need to save the files and copy them to a windows operating system to be able to use them.
                    -Kerry

Comment

The Small Stack; a Micro 3-way.

Originally posted by lorenmjones View Post
                      The Dayton version of the Behringer mic is just fine. It comes with a cal file too.
                      Is that the Dayton USB mic? I was looking at that or the em8000 or hat ever it is....

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                      PCD calculates z-offset in the forward and backward direction, so you would be setting the tweeter backward -3/4" to -1" to line up the centers.

I've been looking. At picking up the omni-mic package so I might be willing to sell you my rig if you are interested.

The only issue with measuring in Mac OS is that you still have nothing to model with. You will need to save the files and copy them to a windows operating system to be able to use them.
                      Lmk about the rig.

Setting the tweet back is no issue.

I'll have to get my PC up and running.....

Comment

UMM6 is the USB version and EMM6 is the regular version. If you don't already have a USB mic preamp then the UMM6 is probably easier.
                        Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

Yeah just grab the USB mic, so you don't have to fool with another piece of equipment.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                          return to the source
                          leviathan system thread
                          deadhorse thread
                          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Is there any or that much difference between the ECM8000 and UMM6?

Kerry offered a full setup sans the XLR cable for a little less than the price of the UMM6. I do like the idea of just plugging the mic in to my laptop and going though, but I know nothing about this mic business.

Comment

I'm going to be ordering the drivers for this today. Are there any other parts I can order now that you can foresee me needing (crossover parts, anything to help with mesuring, etc)?

Comment

You might want to pick up a DATS. You won't really know what crossover parts you will need until you get measurements though. I can't really think of anything else you would need right now.
                                -Kerry

Comment

Working...
                                X