Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts!

Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project.
We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well!

Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans.

We hope to see you this summer!

Vivian and Jill
2 of 2 < >

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

OS Boombox build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS Boombox build

well guys i get a decent start and have few questions i'm hoping someone will be able to help me with .

i got the electronics bench tested and am happy ...

put together the XO's last weekend ...

today i had time to put the speaker box's together ...

now for the questions . i want to make these detachable from the electronics box , i think this will help with spacing and allow me to use them for more than just the boombox . i've search for mechanical attachments but have had no luck , i'm guessing i dont what to call them ?

also i can't find how long to make the adjustable port , the kit came with no directions . any help will be appreciated guys ..

Thanks
    Mark
    Paper Towers
    RS180P/28F surrounds
    Boombox

Re: OS Boombox build

Try "knockdown hardware" http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...ngle-Hole.aspx

Paul's site: https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...ightsensations

Total length of vent is 6".

Comment

thank you Charlie ...
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

a cancellation allowed me to get one speaker done ...

i definitely need to find some better looking screws ....
        Paper Towers
        RS180P/28F surrounds
        Boombox

Comment

didn't make any money today but i did get the speakers done ...

Paper Towers
          RS180P/28F surrounds
          Boombox

Comment

I've got a pair of OS and really like them. I may make a "tote" with the amp etc. in the center for a portable sound solution. I keep looking at car stereo head units because I'd like radio. A bluetooth enabled one as well. Just not sure if they have enough power and how the sound quality is on them.

Comment

that's why i went with the gauge HU . its am/fm , usb and has a aux. input . the shop has a blue tooth unit that would be a simple upgrade for about $40 . btw , thanks for the hardware link ! looking at these http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-Slimline.aspx
              Paper Towers
              RS180P/28F surrounds
              Boombox

Comment

glad i made the baffles detachable ,after a day and a half of listening i wasn't impressed . put my ear to the cab and hope i never hear anything that awful again . i opened them up added a brace and lined the walls with dampening ... much better SQ

i used recycled cardboard for dampening , i see a lot of it being used for packing by our suppliers . easy to cut and work with ...

Paper Towers
                RS180P/28F surrounds
                Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmic Charlie View Post
                  I've got a pair of OS and really like them. I may make a "tote" with the amp etc. in the center for a portable sound solution. I keep looking at car stereo head units because I'd like radio. A bluetooth enabled one as well. Just not sure if they have enough power and how the sound quality is on them.
                  here's a link to how and what i'm using for power Charlie ...

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...power-supply-s
                  Paper Towers
                  RS180P/28F surrounds
                  Boombox

Comment

Are you using any kind of gasket between the baffle and cabinet? I just don't see any in the pic....
                    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

yes , a temporary one at the moment . upon finishing i'll install permanent weather stripping ...
                      Paper Towers
                      RS180P/28F surrounds
                      Boombox

Comment

Would foam on the back panel improve the SQ.

Comment

it may , i'm gonna play around with them this weekend . the brace and lining made a big difference ...
                          Paper Towers
                          RS180P/28F surrounds
                          Boombox

Comment

OK , got busy with it this morning . found new screws and counter sunk them , as per Joey's post i put in a lil more permanent temporary gasket , i also lined the back wall behind the woofer with egg-crate foam and i did a small round-over on the top leading edge ... all or one of tweaks has worked , they are sounding good now ...

also while i was at it i laid out the electronics on a board to help give me ideas on the size of electronics box i'm gonna need . this works out to be 30" overall length with some room to shorten it if i choose ...

the amp running 2 8ohm speakers runns cold ! however the OS's just lack low end . i'm thinking of driving 1 small sub 4ohms @ 50w with a small filter . can this be done ? should this be done ? if i build the box as pictured above i could have .4^3 for say a 5" sub ...

what y'all think ?
                            Paper Towers
                            RS180P/28F surrounds
                            Boombox

Comment

While they're not 10" woofers, you should be getting more bass than a 4" has the right to (should sound more like a fairly good 6"er). If your XO is wired right, make SURE you're not listening in stereo with the two woofers out of phase. It would be telling to run a Z sweep and see where your box tuning falls w/the innovative free "lining".

Comment

Working...
                              X