No announcement yet.

InDIYana 2014: The bar keeps on rising.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InDIYana 2014: The bar keeps on rising.

Reflecting on another very great day in the annals of DIY history makes me conclude that the hobby is alive, well and thriving. So many great sounding projects to be heard today! WOW!

Captain Obvious sez Jeff Bagby can design a decent speaker. CJD; damn your design was absolutely great. Phenomenal sound! Everybody who brought in a project today, be proud of your accomplishment. From what was heard today I gotta say that the level of performance is leaps and bounds beyond what most people would be very satisfied with in their own homes. It's amazing how much great sound was in that room today.

I'll add more to my thoughts later when I'm less knackered and more able to chain a coherent thought or three together. A long day but very rewarding day. Thanks to our host, Ben, and thanks to the vendors who help make the hobby that much more enjoyable.

shawn
    My favorite woofer is a Labrador retriever.

Re: InDIYana 2014: The bar keeps on rising.

I thought I saw you in the Ustream, Shawn. Looking forward to everyone's comments, ratings, and pics.

What did Paul K build? Did Ben like it?

Comment

The one speaker that really stood out to me was Jeff B.'s two way that won the contest. I was sitting in the sweet spot and it really had outstanding imaging. Everything about that speaker was top notch. Unfortunately the other three speakers all sounded really good as well. Jeff's just edged them out from were I was sitting.

The floor standers didn't start until 4:00 so I missed all of them. I had to get back home and couldn't stay later. That was a real bummer!

Dave
      http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
      https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

This is what I built:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished cabinet without grille-front.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1158272

and Ben liked them. Well, he liked the looks but I never heard what he thought of their sound.

Ben did a great job and we had a large turnout, larger than last year. Lots of good-sounding speakers, too. I liked Dan Neubecker's Proximity best, with Jeff Bagby's TMM design a very close second.
        Paul

Originally posted by marvin View Post
        I thought I saw you in the Ustream, Shawn. Looking forward to everyone's comments, ratings, and pics.

What did Paul K build? Did Ben like it?

Comment

I really wish I could have been there for Saturday. So many I didnt get to hear, JeffBs and Dave Ps in particular.

Paul, I really liked yours, especially the tweeter Your finish is fantastic!
          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
            This is what I built:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]47312[/ATTACH]

and Ben liked them. Well, he liked the looks but I never heard what he thought of their sound.

Ben did a great job and we had a large turnout, larger than last year. Lots of good-sounding speakers, too. I liked Dan Neubecker's Proximity best, with Jeff Bagby's TMM design a very close second.
            Paul
            Those look very nice, Paul...and Ben liked 'em too!
            What drivers did you use, Paul?

Comment

Thanks, Chuck, I appreciate the compliments.
              Paul

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
              I really wish I could have been there for Saturday. So many I didnt get to hear, JeffBs and Dave Ps in particular.

Paul, I really liked yours, especially the tweeter Your finish is fantastic!

Comment

Thanks, Marvin. The woofer is the RS180-4 and the tweeter is the SB26STAC. The woofer's in a single-fold, ML-TL 60" long with a modeled anechoic f3 of 33-34 Hz. System sensitivity is ~87 dB SPL (2.83v/1m) but is a 4-ohm system.
                Paul

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                Those look very nice, Paul...and Ben liked 'em too!
                What drivers did you use, Paul?

Comment

I wasn't able to stay and hear Cjd's design or Paul K's design. I think i got to hear everything else.
                  My Build Thread's
                  Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by davepellegrene View Post
                    The one speaker that really stood out to me was Jeff B.'s two way that won the contest. I was sitting in the sweet spot and it really had outstanding imaging. Everything about that speaker was top notch. Unfortunately the other three speakers all sounded really good as well. Jeff's just edged them out from were I was sitting.

The floor standers didn't start until 4:00 so I missed all of them. I had to get back home and couldn't stay later. That was a real bummer!

Dave
                    I looked around at one point and you and Steph were gone, so I missed saying good-bye. I'm glad we got to have lunch together and catch up a little bit. You and Dan always bring such original and well-executed designs that I am always looking forward to what you are going to do next.

Jeff
                    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

My biggest thanks and appreciation to the following:

To Ben - It takes a lot of work to put these things together and you are busy all day long, great job!
                      To Matt and Rory - For bringing some really nice equipment to use (even the speaker cables were impressive)
                      To whoever selected the music tracks - That was the best selection of music I have yet heard at any gathering or show. Nice job.
                      To Bryan - The AV guy who may be busier than Ben. It's an awesome service you are providing.
                      To the Meniscus Guys - For the T-Shirts, gifts, and generally going way beyond the call of duty in supporting the DIYer. (You guys are just speaker-builders at heart.) Thanks for all of the generosity.
                      To all of the sponsors - Who provided the nice door prizes (Dan Neubecker owes me ;))
                      To God - For the perfect weather. A nicer day would not have been possible.
                      To all of the Speaker builders - Shawn is right, the bar is up there, and everyone seems to hit it. There were no bad speakers. It's amazing how good everything is these days. I can barely keep up.
                      To all the friendships - This is why I come. I just use speakers as an excuse. In reality, it's just an opportunity to get together and see everyone again, catch up, and sometimes make new friends. It was awesome.

Jeff B.
                      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                        My biggest thanks and appreciation to the following:

To Ben - It takes a lot of work to put these things together and you are busy all day long, great job!
                        To Matt and Rory - For bringing some really nice equipment to use (even the speaker cables were impressive)
                        To whoever selected the music tracks - That was the best selection of music I have yet heard at any gathering or show. Nice job.
                        To Bryan - The AV guy who may be busier than Ben. It's an awesome service you are providing.
                        To the Meniscus Guys - For the T-Shirts, gifts, and generally going way beyond the call of duty in supporting the DIYer. (You guys are just speaker-builders at heart.) Thanks for all of the generosity.
                        To all of the sponsors - Who provided the nice door prizes (Dan Neubecker owes me ;))
                        To God - For the perfect weather. A nicer day would not have been possible.
                        To all of the Speaker builders - Shawn is right, the bar is up there, and everyone seems to hit it. There were no bad speakers. It's amazing how good everything is these days. I can barely keep up.
                        To all the friendships - This is why I come. I just use speakers as an excuse. In reality, it's just an opportunity to get together and see everyone again, catch up, and sometimes make new friends. It was awesome.

Jeff B.
                        Thanks, everyone! I had a great time! My writeup will be in tow later as usual, I just hope I had enough pictures of everything so I don't forget anything. I definitely am still recuperating from the busy couple days- stiff and sore and not really well-rested.
                        Thanks to Bill for the photos.
                        Thanks to Bryan for the web interface- we had 280 on-line sign-ins! ...and for ripping/burning the cd on the fly this year.
                        Thanks to Matt and Rory for the assist.
                        Thanks to our sponsors!
                        Thanks to all who built and attended.

Matt and I picked the music, as usual, and Shawn brought the Gerschwin piece.

Standouts for me...
                        Chuck's contest entry: Those are your best work yet, and they did sound very big and impressive.
                        Jeff's contest entry: Those were really good!!!! flat this, flat that, and fully linear. My cousin will have some 'splainin' to do when he gets home....
                        CJD's Nebbiolo: You never disappoint in your voicing and integration. Stellar!
                        Craig's Agendas: Great integration, and the midrange is as you stated- very nice. I only missed the bottom half-octave.
                        Todd's Corellias: Those little boogers sounded fantastic! Thanks for shipping them in.

Thanks all,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

really good event. the height of the bar moved up a little at this event. there were truly no bad speakers. I know people always say this, but for the first time, I can truthfully say, there were no bad speakers. a few that might need a little tweak here and there, but no speakers that made the dogs howl, ears bleed, or you had to leave the room on. great job to ever one. thanks to all the people that put time, effort, made donations, and contributed to the event, including all that attended. nice to see all the regulars, as well as some new faces in the crowd.

just want to mention a few speakers that were standouts. chuck, I really liked your entry, just a little tweaking and I think you will have a real winner on your hands. jeffb, for your TMM semi, hemi, passive radiator, what ever that thing is/was/will be, just for thinking outside the box and coming up with a unique approach to bass issues. well done on all accounts. dave p. I am not a fan of horns or wave guides, but if I was building some party speakers, your speaker entry would be one of the first on my list. paul carmody, if I could have pulled the walnut off the boxes of your speakers, your speakers would have went home naked. some of the best looking speakers I have ever seen, and they sound ok too. to the guy that had all the junk for sale in the back of the room, it was great to finally meet, and had a great time hanging out. punch chris in the elbow, and I am now offering $ 60.00.
                          my finale thought is for Wolf, I am so glad you only wanted two drivers. jeffb you are the man. :D

p.s. paulk, we were watching when you were tapping your foot to Queensryche, there is hope in the world after all. :applause:
                          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

p.s. paulk, we were watching when you were tapping your foot to Queensryche, there is hope in the world after all. :applause:
                            Video at 5
                            Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

I had a great time as usual. Ben did a great job and the door prizes were incredible. Also want to thank Mark and Joel for the really nice cherry enclosures. That was a great surprise!

I'll be a broken record and repeat that there wasn't a bad sounding speaker there. It's really inspiring to see and hear so many diverse designs. Can't wait for the next event.
                              Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X