No announcement yet.

InDIYana 2014: The bar keeps on rising.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: InDIYana 2014: The bar keeps on rising.

I concur with the comments here!! Super fun event, and I didn't hear one speaker that sounded bad!! There was so much going on and managing time was a bit tough; I really wanted to hear Paul K's speakers and didn't get to, plus there were a few others I missed out on as well.

This isn't to take away from anything anyone else brought, but ones that stood out to me were...

Chuck's (isaeagle4031) entries, those sounded amazing. IMO they sounded very big, they had beautiful warm, full sound to them. Very nice job Chuck. I'm really sorry you had to leave Friday night, would've been fun to chat more, but was good to see you.

From a creative aspect (and amazing SQ packed into a tiny package) was a little "Fender" boom box. Not only did it look fantastic, it also sounded amazing. Well done. (Actually not sure who built that one).

Also glad I finally got to hear the Fusions, those were pretty mind blowing for how cheap that build is. In my mind I was thinking those were bigger speakers, but they aren't at all. Anyone looking for a lower budget build won't be disappointed w/ those.

The Docere is another one that was pretty incredible sounding, was able to spend quite a bit of time w/ those late Friday and into Saturday morning (thanks for the good times!). IMO, you can't go wrong building the bookshelf or the TL in those, both sounded great.

Edit: One more I don't want to leave out is Ben's Stance speakers. I heard those for the first time at the Meniscus Audio gather a few years ago, and hearing them again this year was a reminder as to how amazing those sound. Well done Ben
    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Where are the pictures? Will there be a thread with some pictures and names of the speaker designs?
      1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
      2: Computer > Schiit ‹bered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

Originally posted by doctormorbius View Post
        Where are the pictures? Will there be a thread with some pictures and names of the speaker designs?
        They like having their own private party. :rolleyes:

:p

Bring on some pics!!
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

There will be plenty of pics. There was what appeared to be a professional photographer there! His camera was top notch.

I wonder what the price on a Testarossa Kit would be? Might have to sell some paintball gear to buy those.
          My Build Thread's
          Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Just how high is that bar now?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
              There will be plenty of pics. There was what appeared to be a professional photographer there! His camera was top notch.
              Yup that's Bill. I'm going to host a full gallery on the Midwest Audio Club site but Bill has to process the pics and get the DVD to me. In the meantime, I'm sure plenty of pics will pop up all over the place.

If anyone want's to upload their pictures to my Box account I can take care of the publishing/hosting. Just PM me for log-in details. Otherwsie I will be waiting for Bill. It's worth the wait for his professional pics.
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

I'm not sure how much the bar is rising, though it is a little. A heck of a lot more people are inching up to it now, though.

Two-ways, holy cow - it was hard to remember the differences clearly between demos, but some old things remembered and some new things... Three ways are clearly a little more challenging - at least, the sound was more different between them, but still - what nice stuff.

I don't even remember what was whose, and who anyone was in the first place (a few more faces and names connected, to be sure, but so many!) but there wasn't a single two-way that was a disappointment. I evidently really like Dayton's RS midrange as I perked up a few times only to find... yeah. The Eclipse is sure a nice little driver, and that SB26 is a bargain. I'm definitely going to have to find an excuse to play with those Satori drivers - maybe in my car? hah.

I know I'll miss people, but a few designs really stood out for me.

Paul C - your work just keeps getting better! it helps that yes, I really like that OW1. I also completely agree with your assessment of the MTM blues - it was the better of the two by a fairly clear margin, yet neither was poorly done.

Dave P - awesome execution, and I'm glad to have finally heard one of yours. If those are stand-mount, I've gotta see a floor-stander from you some day!

Dan N - always worth giving your latest a listen. Keep chasing those esoteric theories and bringing such incredible experiments to prove half the usual wrong. Too bad about Soundeasy - you should know no one needs 12 drivers though... (I did get to wondering, could that have been modeled as 8?)

Bryan K and Rory: damn you for isolating that occasional buzz to a (hopefully!) defective midrange.

Hyatt Place: I don't remember placing a wake-up call, and the smoke alarm was a VERY rude way to deliver... I only had a few hours of sleep at that point, but the adrenaline kick left me jittery till half-way home (no way was I gonna be able to go back to sleep...)

I met a whole gaggle of new faces, learned some new jokes, and had a great time. Indiana is a heckuva boring drive across, but I'd do it again.
                Last edited by cjd; 06-02-2014, 06:42 PM. Reason: specificity fix
                diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by cjd View Post
                  Indiana is a heckuva boring drive across, but I'd do it again.
                  You should try living here. It's double extra boring with an extreme boring topping. That's why there are so many DIY people in Indiana.
                  1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
                  2: Computer > Schiit ‹bered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

Originally posted by doctormorbius View Post
                    You should try living here. It's double extra boring with an extreme boring topping. That's why there are so many DIY people in Indiana.
                    Nothing to do but build speakers? Sounds like heaven to me. *breaks router* ARGGGHHHH! (to channel a classic Outer Limits episode :D).
                    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Originally posted by fdieck View Post
                      Just how high is that bar now?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47342[/ATTACH]
                      I would have died laughing if you would have photo shopped a picture of Jeff Bagby on the high jumper :D
                      Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                        I would have died laughing if you would have photo shopped a picture of Jeff Bagby on the high jumper :D
                        You mean, like so? :D :D :D

Click image for larger version

Name:	bagby bar corelshop.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1158299
                        Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47350[/ATTACH]
                          Yeah, I wish my abs looked like that.
                          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47350[/ATTACH]
                            Finally some pics!!! :applause:

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                              Finally some pics!!! :applause:
                              When the heck did he get a halo?

Comment

Originally posted by fdieck View Post
                                When the heck did he get a halo?
                                I couldn't help myself it was just too easy! (no offense Jeff, I don't think you walk on water or anything!) lol

Comment

Working...
                                X