Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continuum or Tributes Which Would You Choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuum or Tributes Which Would You Choose?

Is is more for the guys that showed up at InDIYana including Jeff. How do they compare to each other? Which would you choose given the choice and why?
    Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
    OS MTM's
    Digger 8 sub
    Overnight Sensations Center Channel
    Sprite Build
    Wolf's PC Speakers
    Minions III with Voxel Sub

Re: Continuum or Tributes Which Would You Choose?

I'm having a similar debate: Tribute vs Piccolo!

Comment

Originally posted by swinginguitar View Post
      I recently bought the Piccolo Kit and I used the Dayton .25 cu ft cabinets vented. I've been enjoying them now for a few months. The bass is full and deep. The upper mid-bass is slightly laid back which I enjoy. I'm powering them with a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A, 75watts 8ohm. They sound very impressive for their size.

Comment

Jeff makes it hard to choose. He designs so many top rated speakers and it makes it hard to choose. It would be awesome to be able to hear them in person. I know someone in my area has the continuum's and he loves them. But the new design sounds awesome too.

Decisions, decisions...

Kevin
        Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
        OS MTM's
        Digger 8 sub
        Sprite Build
        Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Kairos?
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
            Kairos?
            Have you heard both the Kairos and Continuum's? The Kairos is an expensive kit. Is it that much better then the continuum? Or is it just marginally better?

Kevin
            Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
            OS MTM's
            Digger 8 sub
            Sprite Build
            Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by kevin007 View Post
              Have you heard both the Kairos and Continuum's? The Kairos is an expensive kit. Is it that much better then the continuum? Or is it just marginally better?

Kevin
              I have listened to both. I still think the contiuum is Jeff's most musical design. for normal everyday listening, it would be my first choice, and you can always add a sub later.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

I've built three flat packs for the kairos and one for the Adelphos and sadly have never heard either of them. :(

As far as Jeff's designs go, I think you could solidly trust just putting them in a hat and picking one out and being beyond belief satsified.

From all the reading and scouring on the interwebz concerning his designs I've come away with the opinion that the Kairos are on the level of extremely discerning listener, where as the Continuum's are for the very discerning listener. I do think that the Kairos will offer a much more balanced sound and will come as close as you can to getting full range in such a small package while still sounding ever natural.

If I was looking to build a set of reference quality speakers, I would go with the Kairos.

This is all my unheard, hearsay opinion of course.
                Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                  As far as Jeff's designs go, I think you could solidly trust just putting them in a hat and picking one out and being beyond belief satsified.
                  Somehow I think you are right. I have read a lot of write-ups over the past two years about Jeff's designs and though I am sure I would be happy with any of them I would like to settle on just one for the time being and hopefully make the right decision for myself ;-).

Kevin
                  Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                  OS MTM's
                  Digger 8 sub
                  Sprite Build
                  Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by swinginguitar View Post
                    I replied to your PM. You saw that, right?

Jeff
                    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by espeiffer View Post
                      I recently bought the Piccolo Kit and I used the Dayton .25 cu ft cabinets vented. I've been enjoying them now for a few months. The bass is full and deep. The upper mid-bass is slightly laid back which I enjoy. I'm powering them with a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A, 75watts 8ohm. They sound very impressive for their size.
                      Thank you, I feel the Piccolo and the Soprano are the most overlooked of my designs, but I personally feel that both are on par with the bigger speakers in a lot of ways. The Piccolos, especially, sound very good when played all by themselves. They are perfect for small systems in small rooms.

Comment

The continuums set a standard that many speakers are judged by. Their only lack is in the bottom octave. Guess thats why Jeff designed a sub to go with them. The Kairos is my personal favorite for imaging. They are the standards I used in comparing the imaging on my own ludicrosity entry, the Armonicos. I do prefer the Kairos as a sealed over ported design, but that is more a matter of personal tastes.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

So Jeff what are your thoughts? If you were going to choose just one of your designs to start with which would they be?
                          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                          OS MTM's
                          Digger 8 sub
                          Sprite Build
                          Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by kevin007 View Post

Kevin
                            A while back I set up both the Kairos and the Continuums in my room and listened to them back to back on the same system using the same tracks. The Kairos are a significantly better speaker in my opinion when these speakers are played by themselves, based on perceived tonal balance. The full baffle step compensation and the bass extension to 40 Hz (and below in most rooms) allows the Kairos to be placed on stands several feet from the walls and sound very full and balanced - more fullrange than people usually expect. The transition between the bass and midrange in this speaker is the best I have heard from a two-way in my room. The Continuum, on the other hand, sounds more forward and bass shy when played immediately after the Kairos. This is all a tonal balance thing here.

Now, when a subwoofer is played using an 80 Hz crossover it becomes very hard for me to choose between them, but on a lot of music I think I prefer the Continuum with subs over other combos. The articulation of the vocal range, which is the Continuum's strong suit really shines when the bass is added via a subwoofer, and then it becomes a very high resolution speaker, especially with vocal-heavy material. The Continuum, with the solid hardwood cabinet and bolted down woofer and baffle, remains the speaker with the lowest harmonic distortion of any speaker I have ever designed. (I really do think the cabinet has a lot to do with this, but I have not measured one in an MDF cabinet for comparison).

Now, the Continuum vs the Tribute - that's a tricky one. the Tribute seems to image better, and I don't know exactly why. It is minimum phase, but so is the Kairos, however the Tribute may out-image it as well. The Tribute also extends deeper than that Continuum and will play louder, for those that put a priority on this. The Continuum has a more resolved midrange as I have already mentioned. I would pick differently depending on my musical tastes.

The thing to keep in mind with my speakers is that they have all been designed in the same system and voiced by the same person. So, although there are always differences between the speakers, the fact that they were designed and voiced the way they were makes many of them very similar in a lot of ways. The way I perceive the midrange - tweeter balance is usually fairly consistent across my designs.

Jeff B.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                              The continuums set a standard that many speakers are judged by. Their only lack is in the bottom octave. Guess thats why Jeff designed a sub to go with them. The Kairos is my personal favorite for imaging. They are the standards I used in comparing the imaging on my own ludicrosity entry, the Armonicos. I do prefer the Kairos as a sealed over ported design, but that is more a matter of personal tastes.
                              I personally prefer the Kairos sealed as well, and I have expressed to that to many builders who have contacted me.

Comment

Working...
                              X