Full-Range vs. Coaxial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full-Range vs. Coaxial

Out of curiosity, which do you folks prefer and why... coaxial or full-range?

Let's complicate this a bit by splitting it into three size categories: 2-3", 4-5", 6-8" drivers.

Any design is okay... sealed, ported, TL, OB or whatever. The design doesn't matter because we're really only concerned about the cohesiveness and dispersion characteristics of the midrange through treble frequencies where the two types of drivers may differ.

Any type of crossover or other passive or active treatment is fine as is any type of other signal treatment such as EQ, time alignment, etc.

It's okay to post objective or subjective comments, or both.

Please limit this to coaxial vs. full-range with one unit per enclosure (or baffle). Two-way designs and line arrays are not part of this discussion. Point source only, please.

EDIT: Not near-field... out in the room. Price range doesn't matter but please include the price... and cost vs. performance comparison is okay.

ALSO: This is for a single listener with minimal but some variance in listening position.
    Last edited by Tin_Ears; 06-09-2014, 02:08 PM.
    "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
    ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Re: Full-Range vs. Coaxial

Looking forward to hearing what people have to say about this.

Comment

How about option D: 2-3" full-range. Really if you go much larger than that, your off axis and high end will suffer. I think that the biggest difference between coax and FR is going to be the off axis response which should be much better for coax of larger sizes, but also good for smaller FR, except that you also lose low end on a smaller FR. So it also depends alot on application.
      Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

What application? Nearfield or out in a room?
        --
        "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
          What application? Nearfield or out in a room?
          to add to the list of questions, price range ?
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by Melby Audio View Post
            How about option D: 2-3" full-range. Really if you go much larger than that, your off axis and high end will suffer. I think that the biggest difference between coax and FR is going to be the off axis response which should be much better for coax of larger sizes, but also good for smaller FR, except that you also lose low end on a smaller FR. So it also depends alot on application.
            Okay, I'll modify the OP to expand driver size options.

Originally posted by craigk View Post
            to add to the list of questions, price range ?
            OP modified.
            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

sadly, i havent heard enough coaxial

But I have heard the tannoy 15 inch red and think its one of the best sound ive heard in my life

I've done my share of fullrange (fe127, coral beta 8, alpair 12p) and they dont really come close to bagby's continuum.
              The highs of fullrange are not to my liking.

Comment

if price is really no object, which I am sure it will be when you see the price. this is the best full range I have ever listened to https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?c...2&s2=1&s3=&s4=
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Yes, price no object. But still... $8K each? :D
                  ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

The problem with full-range, IMHO, is less about the narrowing dispersion (because some people may prefer this for a given application) but more about the typical inherent nature of cone break up and dynamics. A smaller fullrange driver will do a better job at pushing break up higher in frequency and a few of those (namely, the Scan 10f) do a great job mitigating break up. The problem, then, is crossover. At my particular levels, I'd not cross the smaller drivers too low (say, >400hz) and there's still some want for the dynamic range they can convey. Whether or not this is a deal breaker is a topic of debate; it's just a personal concern/goal for me.

When you get in to larger drivers you have to deal with the lower breakup point and I've really just not seen many 5"+ drivers I'd run full-range. Frankly, I haven't seen any.

Therefore, my money would be placed on a good coaxial design. Not just any coaxial design; some are much worse than others.
                    ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Subjectively: Integral full range and Whizzer cones don't have the reproduction of the H.F. I desire.
                      A coaxial has a separate driver and as such the H.F. radiator is not in motion with the main cone.
                      This eliminates aspects of ( what is Klipsch/Klippel call ) "Modulation Distortion"
                      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
                        Yes, price no object. But still... $8K each? :D
                        Why not go for gold with these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200650062064?lpid=82

No affiliation btw.

Comment

The best coax I've heard and measured was Tannoy Silver. Fairly flat response of the tweeter and good distortion numbers. My experience with coax drivers is that sweet spot is fairly narrow. They never really grabbed me as anything special. Seas Excel Magnesium 5.5" based on NX16 woofer is a plain nightmare then it comes to the tweeter. You want just to rip it out and stuff a screaming rat instead.
                          Full range drivers that did good IMO were Jordan JX92 (various versions through years) and MA didn't do too bad (all tho I preferred Jordan).
                          The only time I liked 6" Whizzer is in fairly large back-loaded horn. They can be pretty sweet on some music.
                          http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                            if price is really no object, which I am sure it will be when you see the price. this is the best full range I have ever listened to https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?c...2&s2=1&s3=&s4=
                            Craig, you were not kidding about the price. I am curious what type
                            of box did you hear that driver used in.

Comment

Originally posted by prighello View Post
                              Why not go for gold with these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200650062064?lpid=82

No affiliation btw.
                              Awe... c'mon now!! :D
                              ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Working...
                              X